PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 in Auto loader, gas port prb w cst

michiganflyer
10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok guys...
Just curious here. Dad and I were in a debate tonight.
He said, you cannot shoot cast bullets in a 30-06 (model 742 Remington in our case) semi-auto, because the lead will shave and plug the gas port.

Well?
Yes/No.....
Ron

Larry Gibson
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Have to admit I've not shot cast in a M742 but I have in Winchester M100, Ruger .44 Carbine, Min 14, ARs, M1As, M1s, M1 Carbines, FN-49, FALs, SKS, AKs andprobably a couple I don't remember. Never did plug up a gas port. One M1 Carbine had a burr which scraped lead and fouled the piston but once the burr was removed the problem went away.

I believe what your dad is saying stems from a letter to the editor of the American Rifleman that was publish sometime prior to '79 by Charles E Harris. In the letter he describes his loading for the M1 to use in 200 rapid fire practice. After some 500 round he found his zero had changed. He found the bore was not leaded but the face of the piston and cylinder walls were washed with lead. Removing the leading returned the rifle to original zero. He recommended cast bullets not be shot in M1s. Since that letter was published it has become gospel not to shoot cast bullets in not only M1s but any gas operated rifle. This is contrary to the success many of us have had firing thousand upon thousands of them through gas operated rifles without problem. However, our success was not published in the AR but Harris problem was. Thus his problem and recommendation, since it was published in the AR, took on a life of it's own and became the myth that cast bulets always will plug up a gas operated rifle. Only way to know about your M742 is to try it and find out for your self.

Larry Gibson

Freightman
10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Do a search on the M1 Garand issue! I have shot 150-200 rounds at a sitting Lyman 180g .310 no lead at all anywhere. If you go to the Military rifle load area you will get a lot of useful info. Also the surplus powder area.
Have fun! so you have to take five minutes longer cleaning if you do ge a little lead not a big deal.

freedom475
10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Had a Desert Eagle 44mag. Owner's manual said Not to use cast bullets, if used all warrentee's would be void. Said that it was next to immpossible to remove lead from port and would require sending the gun back to the factory.I hefty fee would also be charged.

I shot thousands of cast bullets through it anyway. Caused me no problems.

Ricochet
10-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Ruger came out with a gas operated .44 Magnum carbine when the only factory .44 Magnum ammo used a soft swaged 240 grain SWC gas check bullet, about as hard as .22 LR bullets and similarly wax lubed.

(Those were the best factory bullets ever for .44 Magnum.)

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
you will probably have more problem with jaming from dirt then anything. You might want to consider a harder lube or less lube. they can be finiky animals if not kept real clean.

michiganflyer
10-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Great...........Thank you all!