PDA

View Full Version : A lube trick I learned

crabo
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I was having trouble getting my Star sizer to fill out my lube grooves. I am using BAC lube and it was inconsistent and I often had to run a bullet through several times to get good fillout. I knew that they said I didn't need a heater for this lube.

However, I got my heatgun out and warmed up the sizer so it felt warm to touch and then I had great fillout. It also took less pressure to run the sizer. I didn't get it real warm, I just heated it up a bit. About 20 minutes later, I gave it another taste of the heat. Works like a champ.

I know a lot of you guys are way ahead of us newbies, but I thought this might help someone else who is having trouble with lube fillout.

Craig

454PB
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Another trick that helps is to pump the high pressure lever several times after the boolit is in the proper position in the sizing die.

PPpastordon
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Maybe I can "shed a little light" on this subject. Try using a clip on trouble light and aim it at the body of the sizer/lubricator. Cheap and easy to use. Works great.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I just use a propane torch and heat the press a little. Mine has seen well over a million bullets and its never hurt it yet.

buck1
10-27-2007, 03:09 AM
15 watt light bulb and a bit of foil!

Captain Midnight
10-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I mounted a piece of 4"x12" 1/4" plate of steel on my table where I use my Lyman sizer plus a magnetic engine block heater. I plug in the heater and the heat migrates thru the steel and into the sizer. Heat is regulated by unpluging as necessary....... Captain

targetshootr
10-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Good idea. I've been using a hair dryer to speed up heating at the outset, but I think I'll see where the heat gun got to.