PDA

View Full Version : Off topic, sweet lil ol tale anyway I think

jawjaboy
10-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Back along first of the year when I was going through my dark days of the ww hunt, I stopped in this lil ol hole in the wall Mom 'n Pop(literal) country store to get me a soda 'n a pak o crackers. Ma was tending store, Pa was in the corner asleep in a cane chair. I dragged me up a chair and started a chat with Ma, while I downed my snack. Pleasantries exchanged all round.

Conversation drifted as to why I was in that neck o da woods. I told Ma all about my search for lead. She seemed interested, yet perplexed. Nonetheless, we had a big ol time. I hugged her neck, and went on my way.

I happened to be in that same neck a da woods today due to a little bidness side trip, the store appeared to be open, so I stopped in to see if Ma 'n Pa were still kicking around. I'm talking 8-9 months later. They were, he was awake this time too! She remembered me! Told me she had me something! Frantically searched for it! Found it, shoved it into my hands, then clasped her hands around mine! And jes grinned like hell!

The treasure was a sandwich bag with several lead washers in it! This was a big deal for this woman. In like manner, it was for me as well. I'm taking her the bag of pecans tomorrow.

As it goes, Pa works a little part time job with the community. Changing chlorine cylinders for the water system is one of his lil ol duties, hence the lead washers. He never was asleep on my first visit, heard every word I said, never forgot.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000423.jpg

dubber123
10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Nice!, I'm glad to see you are returning the favor. One good turn deserves another, thats the way it should be.

Jim
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Kinda reminds me of the story in the Bible of the woman that put the 2 pennies in the church treasury. It was all she had.

454PB
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
My next-door-neighbor watched me unload two very full buckets of WW's from my truck and asked what I used them for. We had a short discussion and a little latter he caught me in the yard. He handed me a cast boolit he had found while chainsawing firewood. It was a .45 caliber CAS looking slug, and the nose was sawed off by the chainsaw. He now gives me a handful of WW's every couple of months, he's found a new hobby of picking them up off the street.

This guy is 70 years old, a life long hunter and shooter, and seemed completely uninformed about the art of boolit casting. But.....he's a die hard garage sale enthusiast and I know he'll be helping me in the hunt.

Catshooter
10-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Heart's o' pure gold!

Cat

Single Shot
10-26-2007, 09:25 PM
When a person has only a little to give, it is often the biggest gift in the world.

God Bless the Pure at Heart.

9.3X62AL
10-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Jawja, your thread is about as on-topic as can be.

Bret4207
10-27-2007, 06:43 AM
In todays world, it would be nice to hear more tales like this one.

jawjaboy
10-27-2007, 07:19 AM
I did take them the sack of pecans yesterday! Yeah, they seem to be good folk. There's prolly enough lead here to make a whopping three 45 slugs. But it was just the sheer fact that something like this would happen, when I as a stranger crossed paths with this couple and months later show up unannounced, and they remembered my visit and what I was in their neck of the woods for! I never said I'd return. That's what boggles me...ya reckon they *knew* I'd be back some day?

FISH4BUGS
10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
My son, who was 12 at the time, and I went for a bicycle trip through Northern New Hampshire. We rode all day and found campgrounds at night and packed all our gear on the back of the bicycles. We camped out one night and after packing up our gear in the morning, rode down to a country store/gas station/breakfast and lunch counter for a hearty breakfast. My son ordered french toast and whipped cream.......he loves 'em that way. We had a nice chat with the waitress who I must admit looked pretty cute after a hard week on the road.
A year later we went back to the same area to ride and stopped in again at the same place for breakfast. When my son ordered the same thing again for breakfast the woman exclaimed "....hey....I remember you guys....you are the bicyclists that camped at the campground last year. You are the only one I ever saw order french toast and whipped cream!"
Why that piece of information stuck with her I will never know.