PDA

View Full Version : Sad day today at our house

William Yanda
09-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Not world ending, but when I came home today my wife informed me that our cats-probably all 5- have Coronavirus.
No treatment available, just palliative care. It won't be a problem until the virus mutates into the type which infects the cats with peritonitus.
Bill

richhodg66
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
That's terrible, what does that virus do and how do they contract it?

We'd be lost without our kitty.

btroj
09-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Not world ending but it does end a part of your world. A pet becomes part of the family.

Words can't describe how I would feel in your place.

Lance Boyle
09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Oh woa, so sorry for your and your kitties' troubles.

I hope they stay good for a long while.

William Yanda
09-13-2013, 07:27 PM
That's terrible, what does that virus do and how do they contract it?

We'd be lost without our kitty.

Wiki says oral-fecal transmission, probability of infection jumps dramatically as the number of cats in the house climbs. We adopted 3 kittens that a stray had in the shrubs by our porch about a year and a half ago. Initially gives them bloody stools which they can endure until in mutates into the form that gives them peritonitis.
Bill

birddog1148
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear this, would be devastating to loose all my critters, hurts when I lose just one.

SciFiJim
09-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I've also got 5 indoor cats. My wife also feeds a number of neighborhood drop ins on the front porch. How long does it take from infection to symptoms? How long from onset of symptoms to peritonitis?

oldred
09-14-2013, 09:00 AM
We have 16 cats, no we are not "crazy cat people" we have a farm and most are "working" cats, with 3 that live indoors. I have to admit that we are very much attached to even the outdoor critters and have been very lucky as most have been with us for a very long time, two of the outdoor cats are approaching 20 years old now and several more are getting on up there in years. Our vet has been amazed that our outdoor cats have done so well and the reason seems to be we do our best to control strays and "drop-offs" and we have any new adoptions tested before adding them to the group. We learned our leason the hard way, about 15 years ago we adopted a beautiful 26 lb long haired Ragdoll that we absolutely fell in love with but the people who gave him to us failed to tell us he had feline leukemia which never showed up until over a year later. When he got sick and the vet told us what was wrong we not only were heartbroken over losing him but we panicked over our other cats, fortunately at the time they were all outside except for one indoor Siamese so they had little or no contact with the sick cat. We were very lucky and even the Siamese didn't contract the virus and we only lost "Merlin". The point of all this is that if a stray or drop-off comes around no matter how healthy looking they may seem ALWAYS have them checked before letting them interact with established pets, deadly diseases are rampant among feral cats and even a lot of pets so NEVER let a beloved pet come in contact with an unknown cat or kitten until the vet checks them out no matter if it's a stray or a cat from a friend or even a pet shop! I know how hard it is to say no to a hungry kitten who shows up on a door step but no matter how much we might want to help that kitten or cat keep it away from other pets until the vet checks it out.

Gliden07
09-14-2013, 09:27 AM
We have 16 cats, no we are not "crazy cat people" we have a farm and most are "working" cats.

That's what all crazy cat people say!! :kidding:

oldred
09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
That's what all crazy cat people say!! :kidding:

Guilty, as charged :mrgreen:

Don Purcell
09-15-2013, 01:45 PM
We lost our Birman last year, she was just short of 22 years old. Call ME crazy because I made her casket from oak and we all signed the inside lid before I screwed it down. We still miss her.