PDA

View Full Version : New to GCing

cs86
09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
I recently ordered a mold that is gas checked for a .357 mag. I started looking at gas checks to order and noticed that most aren't as descriptive to the .001 sizes. So I was wondering if the 35 cal would size to .356, .357, .358? Or do I have to order them specifically to the .001 size.

To apply the GCs I can run them through my lee push through sizer, is that correct?

USAFrox
09-13-2013, 11:57 AM
You have it right on both counts. The 35 cal ones are the ones you need, and yes, you put them on and push them through your sizer, which crimps them on.

dmclark523
09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Yep! You've got it. It's really as simple as it sounds. I like to apply my checks before lubing, but I dont think that it's neccesary. As a result of using checks, I see huge improvements in accuracy and I have yet to identify any leading in my barrel after using them. Good luck!

cs86
09-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Another question I have. I've noticed some threads talk about annealing GC's. Is this necessary or does it just make life a little easier for putting them on?

runfiverun
09-17-2013, 10:56 PM
it's not "necessary" it does help with some grumpy check shanks and is sometimes an enhancer to accuracy.

44man
09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
it's not "necessary" it does help with some grumpy check shanks and is sometimes an enhancer to accuracy.
This is the answer but I need to tell about a .44 boolit. I air cooled a bunch and got too many fliers over my water dropped so for the heck of it I annealed some checks. Darn if they didn't shoot better!
I have nothing against gas checks, still use a bunch, it is just the crazy prices.

cs86
09-18-2013, 08:59 AM
This is the answer but I need to tell about a .44 boolit. I air cooled a bunch and got too many fliers over my water dropped so for the heck of it I annealed some checks. Darn if they didn't shoot better!

It's always interesting to see how little changes can make a difference. I wouldn't of thought this would of affected accuracy, but it makes sense (soft and hard will have different reactions down the barrel). I will have to keep that in mind and test a few once I get them.

Edit: Woohoo I hit 100 posts!! :razz: