PDA

View Full Version : Cast for the first time today

osteodoc08
09-12-2013, 11:21 PM
As many of you may remember, I lost my father back in May. I will never be able to learn all that I was supposed to from him including casting. Ralph, one of the members here that goes by 45 cal had befriended my father some time ago and they became good friends.

While I've never met Ralph prior to today, Ive heard tons of stories from my father. Ralph and I had spoke on the phone several times. He had mentioned that if I needed anything to let him know. I had asked him to show me how to cast.

We were finally able to meet up today. We were able to organize the mess of a casting bench my father had. He went over all the molds with me while the pot was heating up. I chose to go with some 357 and 41 mag boolits. We preheated the molds and he went over preparation of the molds and how to use them. He cast a few toget started and then supervised me and giving me tips and tricks along the way. We ended up going through two complete pots and went to lunch.

We were amble to reminisce about my father and I also had the opportunity to realize he was quite an interesting fellow. Ralph's quite an entrepreneur and if anyone in the atlanta area is needing home grow natural honey, drop him a PM!

After lunch we returned and he went over sizing and lubing as well as gas checking. I had learned some previously from dad, but he filled in the gaps and showed me how to adjust and take care of the RCBS Lubramatic. Once I had the hang of that, he bid me farewell.

I just wanted to publicaly thank Ralph for taking time out of his day and living up to and surpassing the reputation my father made for him to me. He is an outstanding gentleman on all accounts.

osteodoc08
09-12-2013, 11:26 PM
A mountain of bullets! This was just the 357 bullets I did this afternoon. We had completed 3x that amount that morning. I did not cull out the bad ones at this point. Not perfect, but they are mine!

captain-03
09-12-2013, 11:36 PM
They do look good!! Always great to have someone show you the ropes!! 45Cal has to be outstanding fellow!!

bangerjim
09-12-2013, 11:46 PM
It may be your first time.........but I guarantee......it will not be your last!

Welcome to the most addicting habit I have ever seen.

bangerjim

ps.......I know about loosing your dad. I lost mine almost 5 years ago and I sure wish he was around to see what I do today and to share in it.

Lead Fred
09-13-2013, 12:34 AM
hook, line, and sinker

youngda9
09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
You're hooked now. !!

myg30
09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Glad you got some first hand help and got to talk about your dad. Casting is really fun and I hate to say this but I enjoy it as much if not more than shooting !!!
Be safe, clean and enjoy.

Mike

45cal
09-13-2013, 10:29 AM
I was really happy to help,he is a quick study and did some fine work.
I always enjoyed my time with his father,he was an excellent shot with pistols and rifles
and we spent many hours at the range out doing each other.
The casting part I was his student,he got me into better equipment and taught me about quality.
I really miss this fine gentleman .
The thing I will always remember is our trips to CMP .It cost me quite a few bucks but his sharp eye and knowledge of weapons netted me some very fine ones.
Truly a pleasure to get one of his sons into this hobby we all share.