PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Flashlight batteries

armoredman
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
My loving wife was so happy when she won an Internet raffle back in July of 2006, and got her Surefire Nitrolon flashlight. LApolicegear.com shipped it with 2 free extra batteries, and we figured this was great...and it was, up until yesterday.
As I was pulling into work, my wife called, saying that she had heard a loud bang, and her Bianchi holster fanny pack caught fire on the bed. She put the smolder out, and discovered that her Surefire flashlight had exploded. The rear battery had detonated like a grenade, gutting the flashlight like a hog through the front.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/destroyedsurefirenitrolon1.jpg

Naturally, this scared about ten years off her life. I advised her to take the flashlight and the spare batteries out into the garage, behind the fire door. The spares had been stored in her small safe - right next to her spare live ammunition.
I contacted Surefire just a few minutes ago, and they stated they would replace it, just like that, and requested I send them the pics I took. They will issue a UPS call tag, and give us a new one. I was impressed with thier stance on thier product. without reservation.
Then I found something ELSE out...
The batteries were NOT from Surefire. LApolicegear.com had replaced the original set, so that all four batteries sent were these Battery Station 123A, marked "made in PRC"! They offered to replace the flashlight, and assured me they no longer use the Chinese made batteries. When I asked them if they would replace her fanny pack,(not a real expensive item!), the customer service person said "We won't do that!" Hmm.
It's a testament to the toughness of the flashlight that it did not burst at all, the steel body held the explosion in quite handily.
Surefire stepped up to the plate without reservation, LApolicegear.com sort of did, with prodding, so I guess I can't argue too hard, but I have to wonder, what would thier answer have been if my house had burned down due to thier cheap chinese made batteries? "Caveat Emptor"? Could be.
So, not to bellyache about how the world owes me squat, just check your CR123 a flashlight batteries, and if they say "made in PRC", DITCH 'EM!

Mk42gunner
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow, kind of makes you wish for the old 97 cent ray-o-vac with corroded D-cells, doesn't it?

Be thankful she wasn't wearing it in a belt holder when it went off.

On a less serious note,(almost said lighter side); I wonder what the muzzle velocity of a flashlight is?

Robert

armoredman
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I am using my cheapie Garrity 3 AAA cell 3 watt LED light. Cheap, junky, but it works.
Muzzle velocity? Dunno, think they make a mold for that? :)

KCSO
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
TAFB!!! I just went out and pulled the PRC batteries out of mine in the car! Jeez it's bad enough to get shot at by the bad guys, now I have to watch my back side double! Actually mine sits in front and I hate to think how this would have affected me if it went off. Would all the force come up and gut me or go down and geld me. Boy I'm sure glad I took to carrying that expensive light instead of my old mini mag.

armoredman
10-25-2007, 08:43 PM
The ONLY good thing is that this occurance may save someone else death, serious injury, or loss of property. That and finding out what companies I can depend on. Surefire, two thumbs up. lapolicegear, one up, one down.

redneckdan
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I usually run brand name(energizer, duracell, etc) 123As in my E2e. At 7 bucks a fill up its motivation not to use that light unless I absolutely have to.

crabo
10-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Here's where I buy my batteries. I don't mind replacing them quite so much when I pay about $3.50 a pair. I call a couple of friends and split shipping or give a box for a Christmas present.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/97/prrfnbr/685/Box-of-12-SureFire-123A-Lithium-Batteries

LAPoliceGear
10-28-2007, 03:17 AM
HI All. I just found this post when scanning the net for "lapolicegear".

I am the CEO/President of LA Police Gear, Inc.

I am very sorry this happened to your flashlight. I would like to clear up one thing. WE DO NOT OPEN SUREFIRE'S FACTORY SEALED BOXES AND REPLACE THE SUREFIRE BATTERIES IN LIGHTS WITH ANOTHER BRAND's BATTERIES. We never have and never will.

We did give away various brands batteries in addition to the Surefire batteries that come in the light. Repeating we do not take the Surefire batteries of the lights. It would damage the packaging, piss off customers, and would not be a profitable activity (waste of man hours).

Out of the countless thousands of flashlights we have sold that use the lithium 123A size battery I am aware of this type of situation occurring 2 to 4 times over 4 years. I inquired about why these incidents occur and found out from battery manufacturers that gas venting from batteries in a sealed space can cause a small explosion under certain conditions.

Armoredman please check your PM and email me if you need anything.

Sean
CEO
LA Police Gear, Inc
www.LAPoliceGear.com

dubber123
10-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Wow, nice to hear a head honcho step to the front and respond in non-form letter fashion. If I decide I need a Surefire light any time soon, I know where I'll be getting it from!

Bret4207
10-28-2007, 09:54 AM
My job recently bought us truck guys new flashlights. Not sure of the brand, but they are LED and and take 3 or 4 C-cell batteries. Mine sits in my desk for 2 reasons. #1- It's freakin' HUGE! I'm under a truck, between the drive axles trying to take a brake measurement and they give me a flashlight 10" long to use?! Give me a break! #2- It's "accountable", which means if I lose or damage it I'll be brought up on charges. Thanks guys! I'll stick with my $1.99 Walmart 9 LED, 3-AAA cell jobs that fit in my belt and is the size of an over grown BIC lighter.

This brings back my original thought- All our young guys, (Baby Troopers), go out and buy $100.00 plus flashlights. The job issues a $10.00 flashlight. I could see buying a good 6 or 7 cell Mag lite. Makes a great club. But they buy these little dinky jobs and are constantly losing them. By the time they have a few years on they get over that stage. The funny part is the ALL go through this stage. Weird!

armoredman
10-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Sean, responded via PM.
I appreciate the CEO registering and posting here, but I must say the offer that was made via PM was for some Surefire batteries. Not a new light, not a replacement fanny pack, nada, but batteries for a flashlight that was destroyed. And the CEO found this post surfing the net, not via the two e-mails I sent his company last week, one to the Returns email addy, and one to the Questions e-mail addy, with pictures included.
I look forward to a positive resolution of this occurance.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=170080

armoredman
10-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Last night UPS delivered a package from LAPG, a new Surefire Nitrolon flashlight, in original packaging, with Surefire batteries inside, and 6 Rayovac brand CR123A batteries included. Also included a 10% off coupon for internet orders. At this point, I am satisfied with LAPG response, and replacement, even if thier customer service verbal/e-mail responses were less than staisfactory. Would have been nice to get the fanny pack replaced, but I guess it will be the $50 lesson to never buy Chinese made products if possible. I wonder how much stuff in my house was made in China? I shudder to think...

trickyasafox
10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
on another note- CR123A battaries are expensive, so when i was looking for a hunting / carrying around flashlight, i got a fenix L1P

it runs off of a single AA battery, and gives you about 3.5 hours of usable light from a quality lithium, maybe a touch more.

it has a 1w bulb and is plenty bright for me, but not near as bright as a lot of surefires. a good functional light though- worth looking at. i've had mine for over a year, and it cost me 35 dollars shipped.

NOT AFFILIATED WITH FENIX

Boz330
10-31-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a Pelican UK that uses 4 AA batteries at the shop and it is very bright. I tried using it for hunting and it is to bright for that. The Minimag is just right though, leaves you with a little night vision left.
The Pelicans can be found at gun shows for $12 or $13. Plenty of light for my needs and uses relatively cheap batteries.

Bob

EMC45
11-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I too have the Nitrolon G3. Great light! I think the Duracells I replaced the original Surefire batteries with are lasting longer. It cost 10 bucks to reload the old girl. Pelican makes a good light as well. A buddy has one of the 70-80 dollar Surefire and I believe the Nitrolon ($30) is way brighter. So ArmoredMan what you are saying is you got 2 flashlights out of this deal?:-D

armoredman
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Nope, just one. But I can say that both LAPG and The Battery Stattion have stood up, and are promising to make good ALL lossess. She has her flashlight, and will be getting her fanny pack soon. Check your batteries for Chinese made junk, and that's it, end of story.