PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 pot spout question

Spawn-Inc
09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I placed an order with the awesome people at titan reloading for a 4-20 pot and a second 440gr 50cal mold to replace my older style one. I really like the new style molds Lee has!

Anyway my question is, do the 4-20 pots leak as much as the 10lbers? I sanded and reshaped my current 10lb pot and it still leaks, just not as much.

Should I use it out of the box or attempt to reshape it before using it?

Skunkworks
09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
I got one as a freebee because the former owner got tired of it leaking like an old Harley.
I modified/rebuild it like a RCBS but it still leaks.
I think it is the design of the valve stem/spout that is the culprit.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011546_zpsf66db628.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011546_zpsf66db628.jpg.html)
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011547_zpsb2f250c4.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011547_zpsb2f250c4.jpg.html)

Mk42gunner
09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
When I bought my 4-20 brand new, I lapped the valve rod and seat together with some 800 grit compound that I had on hand, before I ever heated it up. It still dripped a little bit, not really enough to be obnoxious if I was bottom pouring.

When I would ladle cast with the pot, it would eventually leak just slow enough that the drip art would plug the spout and stop the drips. since the base is aluminum, when I got done casting I just pulled the drip art and put it back in the pot.

I would still be using the Lee as my primary pot, if I hadn't found a Promelt for $80.00 at an estate sale.

Robert

bdecker9
09-12-2013, 12:04 PM
i have one, it didnt leak at all at first, and after some fiddling w/ the valve, got a leak. it took a lot of tries to get it back where it was manageable. mine stops leaking with a real good firm fast open/close. slam up then down.

Spawn-Inc
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies!

I think I will have a look at it and likely try to smooth it out before I fill it. Should be here by next Tuesday.

el34
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I must have the only one that doesn't leak. Well, except when I screw with the flow control. Over 5000, maybe 6000 boolits cast. I sit a muffin pan cup under the spout to catch all the drools I create, mostly overflowing a small mold.

Frozone
09-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I must have the only one that doesn't leak. ........

No, none of mine (4) have leaked either. At least not until I dropped one on its head ;-(

I do a custom cut on the valve/spout before I put em in use, makes them less likely to leak from trash.
I do a 3 step cut on the spout and a matching (middle) angle on the rod. Then lap em.

To be honest my Lyman 20# leaks a LOT more than any of my LEEs ever did.

Idz
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I've cast several 1000 with a Lee 10lb and 20lb and have had no leaks.

shadowcaster
09-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I have had really good luck with the Lee pro 4-20 right out of the box. I have 2 of them that I run side by side and nary a drip. I think that most of the ones that drip are do to the caster.

Shad

bangerjim
09-13-2013, 03:14 PM
I have very few if any leaks with my 4-20 pot. Remember, that is what that screw at the top is for. If you have a drip...drip....just turn the screw around a couple times and it stops.

I cannot understand how so many people call these "drip-o-matics"! If they use clean lead, clean their pot out ever so often, and do not stir the bottom, they will not leak. It's the crapola they have in and at the bottom of their melt that causes dripping.

If you fill it with 18# of lead, the head pressure on the valve/seat will be at it's greatest and if there is going to be a leak.....it will. Just turn the screw!!!!

bangerjim

Finster101
09-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Mine does not leak. My Harleys don't leak either.

el34
09-13-2013, 10:48 PM

Pre-EVO?

mdi
09-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I haven't had a Lee pot leak if I only use clean lead in it. I never smelt/clean any lead in my casting pot, I use a stainless steel 2 qt. pot for that. I have lapped the valve/valve seat once and as long as I clean the inside of the pot, use a drop or two of Bull Plate on the valve, mine won't leak...

hawgfan
09-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Just started cast with my new 20lb pot today, I haven't had a leak yet, but I'm sure it's coming

kweidner
09-18-2013, 05:52 AM
precisley why I went to the RCBS. I use my 10lb lee for casting cores for .224. Hate every time I fire it up. Lapped valve clean lead etc. Works for a while but it will come. Had an rcbs in service for six months and have cast literally 50000 or more. no leak! Only thing that drips is whats left in the valve when you close it and that's if your running super hot for hollow points. Cast 20 lbs this am and maybe had 5 drips the size of half a flash hole each.

500MAG
09-18-2013, 06:10 AM
I have one I don't use much anymore. I never really had a serious leaking problem. Try to make sure that the alloy you use has already been fluxed and cleaned well during smelting before using in the lee pot. Keep a bent paper clip handy to clean the spout out.

Deep Six
09-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Mine has never leaked either. The valve travel adjustment screw stripped out the first time I used it. Ever since then I've just operated it with a large pair of vice-grips clamped to the top of the valve rod. Makes for a nice big handle and keeps lots of pressure on the valve to keep it closed.

OuchHot!
09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I have both a Pro-melt (very old) and a much newer lee 4-20. Frankly, they both dribble about the same amount. Not enough to upset me, but I never leave either unattended while hot.

Wally
09-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I haven't had a Lee pot leak if I only use clean lead in it. I never smelt/clean any lead in my casting pot, I use a stainless steel 2 qt. pot for that. I have lapped the valve/valve seat once and as long as I clean the inside of the pot, use a drop or two of Bull Plate on the valve, mine won't leak...

Same here.....clean lead & no leaks...

Smoke4320
09-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Pre-EVO?
I had a evo road glide that never leaked
had 4 lee Pots that only leaked a few drips during a casting session.. a quick turn of the stem and all good again ..
just sold 3 of them to fund a RCBS Pro melt

tengaugetx
09-19-2013, 05:09 PM
I have one and it will eventually start a small drip after casting 500 to a 1,000 or so boolits. I just take a standard screw driver and turn the rod back and forth a few times with a fair amount of downward pressure. The drip has always quit and I can start casting again. It is just a minor inconvenience for me and only takes a few seconds to correct.

retread
09-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Mine was leaking and turning the shaft with a screwdriver would help but not stop the leak entirely. I got out my drill driver with a self centering straight blade and spun it for awhile. That was weeks ago and have not had a single drop leak since.

Springfield0612
09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
As has been said all ready. Keep it clean and no leak. If it does turn the rod and problem fixed. I've had more issues with early session spout freeze causing drips than the acctual valve being faulty causing the drip. A bic lighter and 30 seconds at the begining of the casting session prevents that issue.

Airman Basic
09-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Have a Pro Melt that doesn't leak. Have a Lee 20 lb. non bottom pour doesn't leak either. Have an old hardtail Harley don't leak, but she does mark her spot.

kayak1
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
My 20# only leaks when I walk away when it's heating up. I have had to clean up a ton of 20# blobs of lead.

Spawn-Inc
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
i got the pot a while ago and haven't had any drips, but the screw to adjust the flow sucks and i've had it shift past the steam causing it to stick open full stream, i've since fixed it with copper wire.

huntinlever
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
I have very few if any leaks with my 4-20 pot. Remember, that is what that screw at the top is for. If you have a drip...drip....just turn the screw around a couple times and it stops.

I cannot understand how so many people call these "drip-o-matics"! If they use clean lead, clean their pot out ever so often, and do not stir the bottom, they will not leak. It's the crapola they have in and at the bottom of their melt that causes dripping.

If you fill it with 18# of lead, the head pressure on the valve/seat will be at it's greatest and if there is going to be a leak.....it will. Just turn the screw!!!!

bangerjim

Banger Jim, I don't know why, but I've ensure nothing is in the way and it leaks like crazy - I'm not talking about a small little puddle, I'm talking about enough to fill an ingot mold, and then some. Everything I've tried - no avail. I'm going to use it as a top pot, for now, but that is not fun. I will empty and try one more time to clean everything out, ensure nothing's there...and then, I don't know what.

huntinlever
04-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, very glad to report now that after an emptying and a thorough cleaning of the pot and bottom valve hole/valve rod, and now I've got the nature of the Lee, it ran like a top. Kicked out a few hundred today, and though I've not culled any yet, quick look can't see one. Interestingly, to avoid wrinkling, I find that I have to keep the Lee much hotter than my gas-based ladle pot. Ladle pot does fine around 725, but the Lee seemed to do really well right around 875-880. And bullets were not frosted, for the most part. I presume this has something to do with the cooling as it pours out the bottom spout?

Anyway, this was a breeze and so far I'm very happy, especially given the price. Thanks for the thread.

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2015, 07:31 PM
If an old Harley or an old Detroit Diesel stops leaking oil......it's out of oil.

MT Chambers
04-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Lee is aware of the problems, that's why they named it the "Drip-o-matic".

duckey
04-16-2015, 07:46 PM
My Lee leaks during warm up. To keep this from happening I sometimes use a blowtorch to heat the nozzle which stops it, never really had constant leakage unless some dross gets in there.

matrixcs
04-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I have 2 Lee 20lb bottom pour pots and they do not leak.. 10000+ boolits cast.

FISH4BUGS
04-17-2015, 08:06 PM
I just keep a screwdriver next to the pot and as I go through the steps of casting (I have mostly 4 and 6 cavity moulds), and I fill the mould and stop the flow, and it drips, I just grab the screwdriver and give the screw thingie a few quick turns as the mould cools. That stops the drip in its tracks.
I just work it into my steps for casting. That pot has served me well for 20+ years. Dollar for dollar you can't beat it. Who cares if it leaks a bit?
I have a slight transmission leak in my Benz. I don't need to spend $800 - $1000 on new seals. Just like I don't have to spend hundreds on another pot just because of a little leak.

Gliden07
04-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Mine doesn't leak? I did put the whole pot on an old cookie sheet so if it does have a major leak it will collect in the pan. I also put a cloth that I soak in water then wring it out in the pan on one end, use this to help cool mold off when it gets to hot after a long casting session.

gloob
04-23-2015, 06:26 PM
I sanded and reshaped my current 10lb pot and it still leaks,

Try lapping. That's the only way to get a perfect fit AND maintain radial symmetry.

1. Empty pot and let it cool.
2. Lift the stopper and put some lapping compound on the tip and into the hole.
3. Drop it back down, and chuck the end of the stopper into a hand drill.
4. Spin it to win it.