PDA

View Full Version : need help with cast in 375 h&h

427smith
09-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I've been casting for 40 years always for pistol calibers. Recently I bought a Win mod. 70 in 375 H&H. First thing I did was order dies and a lyman 375449 mold. Question is if I seat my boolits to a depth that covers all of my lube grooves I have a LOT of boolit below the case neck. I don't like my gas checks that far below the neck. If I seat them to a longer AOL, do I lube the exposed lube grooves or not. I like all the lube I can get but exposed lube grooves will be messy unless I use a harder lube. Suggestions.?

lup
09-11-2013, 10:50 PM
What is your objection to deep seated gas checks?

Larry Gibson
09-12-2013, 12:46 AM
I've been casting for 40 years always for pistol calibers. Recently I bought a Win mod. 70 in 375 H&H. First thing I did was order dies and a lyman 375449 mold. Question is if I seat my boolits to a depth that covers all of my lube grooves I have a LOT of boolit below the case neck. I don't like my gas checks that far below the neck. If I seat them to a longer AOL, do I lube the exposed lube grooves or not. I like all the lube I can get but exposed lube grooves will be messy unless I use a harder lube. Suggestions.?

I seat that bullet so the front driving band is slightly engraved by the leade. This just keeps the top of the GC inside the base of the neck (I also prefer to keep the GC inside case necks). I normally lube all the grooves and don't have problems with the exposed lube as the cartridges are protected in cartridge boxes prior to use and in the magazine pror to firing. For hunting where dirt or grit may be a problem just don't lube the front groove. That is an excellent bullet in my M70 3 six bits.

Larry Gibson

msp2640
09-12-2013, 12:54 AM
I load for a 375 H&H in a CZ with both the RCBS and the Lyman 449 moulds. Going from memory here, but I seat both to the the base of the neck, which does expose the top lube groove. For me it's a sort of non issue, since I use Blue Angel hard lube and are using the loads for low/ medium velocity range use. I also am only single loading at the shooting bench with them. I do agree with you about keeping the gas check in the neck (along with the lube). I'm not sure if there has been actual testing done on the matter, but it makes sense to me, that if the entire powder charge is behind the projectile, rather than having the chance to burn around the boolit base inside of the case and risk loosing some lube and/or the gas check as the round goes range. Hope that helps - Bill in MA

427smith
09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
thanks for the help. Now that I think about it exposed lube won't be that big a deal.