PDA

View Full Version : How do you slug a revolver?

cs86
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I've read that with a regular action gun that you should start from the chamber side and run it part way in and back it out to get a measurement. How do you do this with a revolver? I'm thinking about getting one and I've wanted to slug one of my dads guns. I'm just not sure which way I need to be doing this. Will it be good enough to run it from the end of the barrel all they way through?

Thanks

robpete
09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
muzzle first. Lube the slug really well. Once you get in started, place a small empty case(I use a .32) over the end of your driving rod and pound that sucker the entire way through. Have fun!

cs86
09-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks

Oreo
09-12-2013, 12:17 AM
The other option is to make a casting using cerrosafe.

44man
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM
The other option is to make a casting using cerrosafe.
No, never got the right measurements.
I put a thick piece of Micarta or oak on the recoil plate, about a foot long. I drop in a brass rod close to bore size. Then with a lubed bore and round pure lead ball i get it in the barrel to the rod and upset it with another brass rod. Force it back out the muzzle with the long ends of the micarta or oak. Might take some taps with a mallet on the ends of the oak. Then run another ball all the way through a lubed bore. The difference will be thread choke.
Do the same to throats by upsetting a ball between brass rods. DO NOT USE WOOD FOR ANY.
ONLY PURE LEAD SLUGS. Some use sinkers but round ML balls are great, just over bore or throat size.
I originated this method and it works.

Shiloh
09-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Clean your bore really well first. Just another thing to make it easier. I used a brass rod.
I solugged the chambers as well on mine.

Shiloh

curator
09-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Three dimensions that are important with revolvers are : Chamber throats, Bore/groove diameter and thread choke. Chamber diameter should be anywhere from .005 to .002 over groove diameter, assuming NO thread choke. ANY thread choke is a problem with cast bullets, less so with hard jacketed bullets but still degrades accuracy slightly. Pure lead round balls made for muzzle loading guns are perfect for slugging. Odd-number of lands/grooves calls for specialized measuring equipment like dedicated V-micrometers. Pin gauges work well for chamber throat. land diameter and to determine if there is any thread choke.

BNE
09-12-2013, 10:51 PM
No, never got the right measurements.
I put a thick piece of Micarta or oak on the recoil plate, about a foot long. I drop in a brass rod close to bore size. Then with a lubed bore and round pure lead ball i get it in the barrel to the rod and upset it with another brass rod. Force it back out the muzzle with the long ends of the micarta or oak. Might take some taps with a mallet on the ends of the oak. Then run another ball all the way through a lubed bore. The difference will be thread choke.
Do the same to throats by upsetting a ball between brass rods. DO NOT USE WOOD FOR ANY.
ONLY PURE LEAD SLUGS. Some use sinkers but round ML balls are great, just over bore or throat size.
I originated this method and it works.

Could you post a picture of your set up for us novices? I have not slugged anything yet and I would greatly appreciate the input.

44man
09-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Could you post a picture of your set up for us novices? I have not slugged anything yet and I would greatly appreciate the input.
Sure, very basic. The brass rod is long enough to be an inch from the muzzle, no need to be deeper it is and harder to remove a ball if shorter because you will have to gang shorter rods from the rear.
I have had to slug deeper so I use a series of shorter rods that can be removed from the frame opening in case you get stuck. Just get the stick out of the way and remove each rod. Then you can pound the ball from the muzzle.
I pound the ball in to the rod, use another to give it a tap and push it back out with the wood by just sticking the muzzle on the carpet. You can put it over a hole in wood so the ball falls out.
Brass will not hurt anything but some use steel wrapped heavy with electrical tape for a close fit in the bore.
The ball moves pretty easy once you get it started and is why I like them best, less friction and plenty to measure.
A few have gotten in trouble with wood dowels when they splintered, brass is best. 81695

cbrick
09-13-2013, 08:26 AM
The important dimensions of a revolver are the throats. The prime reason to slug a revolver bore is to know that it is at or a tick smaller than throat diameters. It should be and the boolits are sized to a mild snug fit IN THE THROATS. The next reason to slug the bore is to check for thread choke.

44man gave wise advice. NEVER use a wood dowel to slug a bore. NEVER! It can and will break at an angle and wedge between the bore and lead slug making removal of either . . . well . . . frustrating.

Rick

44man
09-13-2013, 09:04 AM
You can't read thread choke with one ball all the way through. Really need two measurements. I have found much less choke lately and none on the BFR's.
Once you get groove size you can take a sized boolit the same to .001" over and if you can push the boolits through the throats with your thumb it is good. Any throats larger do not hurt a thing as long as all let the boolit through, so if you feel one and the next is easier it is OK but if you find a tight throat, it will need reamed or lapped.
You can slug each throat but a boolit is easier.
It is the thing of either too large or too small but a tiny variation will never be seen at the target. Throats .002" over are nothing to worry about either.
Every BFR I have measured will have throats .001" over groove for the .475 and .500 JRH to .0012" over groove for the 45-70.

cs86
09-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the input. This is great advise that I've had a hard time finding. Much appreciated. Where would be the best place to find a brass rod to a specific diameter? Also I just bought the Ruger GP100 .375 mag and wondered if people see common areas that can be problematic for the particular gun or if it is hit and miss like any other production gun.

Shiloh
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=6848&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1117&top_cat=79

I got mine many, many years ago.
Try these guys. I bought some delrin from them only a few years ago.

Shiloh

blackthorn
09-13-2013, 10:25 AM
I have found that brass rods from old toilet tank floats work for pistol barrels. If they are a bit on the small side, a couple of brass nuts (one to lock the other) can be threaded on and turned to whatever size you need using a drill and file.

mdi
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-3714&PMPXNO=941962 Just go to Enco and get a brass rod. a 6 foot long piece of 1/4" rod is less than $10.00. Check website for other diameters, but I have used 1/4" for most of my guns...

44man
09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Enco is good, most of my tool steel and tools come from them.
Sometimes you can find brass rod at Home Depot, etc.