PDA

View Full Version : air guns???

shaper
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Don't realy know where to put this, so if it is in the wrong place please move it.
Lately I keep hearing about air guns for hunting. Anyone have information on this subject?

nhrifle
09-10-2013, 11:47 PM
That's a big subject, lots to know. Go to pyramidair.com and browse the guns for sale and watch a few videos.

Swamp Man
09-11-2013, 12:21 AM
There are now air guns that range from small caliber 177,20,22,25 in spring loaded and PCP charged that can take small game. Then there are Big Bore air guns that go up to 45 caliber and a few 50 caliber. The big bore guns can and will take large game such as hogs the big bore guns are all PCP charged.

MT Chambers
09-11-2013, 12:36 AM
With the many new PCPs out there, there is a lot more options for hunting, including the real big bores, there are some trade-offs however. They are usually filled with a kinda scuba tank, only you need one that holds 4500psi, and you fill your gun from them. Some of these guns only get 1 shot or 2 from a fill, then need refilling. Some makers go for slightly reduced power and more shots per fill. My biggest is the Wolverine .303, which uses a 30 cal. pellet of 50 grains or a cast bullet, but the use of cast in this gun is still in the testing stage. The gun has a 5 round mag., can get 10 shots to a fill, and pushes that pellet to just under 1000 fps., now remember that these guns have match grade barrels and triggers and are very quiet, so head shots on bigger game at close ranges is very possible. As another poster mentioned, long range target shooting with these sub-sonics is a new game as well. Most have very low noise and can be used in your back yard, depending on model..... Google "Quackenbush", "Mr hollow point", "Drummin", "Daystate Wolverine", "FX-Boss"....etc.

Dryball
09-11-2013, 12:47 AM
go to talontunes.com Tony, there is incredible with an Airforce airgun. Your choice in guns is limited what you want to hunt and what you are willing to pay. PCP's can be charged with either a scba, scuba or hpa compressor. they also have bicycle-type pumps that are reasonable. Be wary like most everything...you get what you pay for

roachcreek
09-11-2013, 12:54 AM
I have the Ranger 45, it is basically a 45 LC with a 260 grain bullet or I can shoot full power with a 410 grain at 800 FPS.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/1999%20match%20results/DSC06209.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/1999%20match%20results/DSC06209.jpg.html)

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/CIMG1814_zps6e98430c.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/CIMG1814_zps6e98430c.jpg.html)

I also have a Haley 257 Scandalous that I have made the longest known accurate shot for an air rifle with, a 12 oz can at 615 yards. I routinely shoots 1/2 MOA at 280 yards, it gets up to 220 FPE with a 94 grain Loverin bullet, basically starting cast bullet loads in a reloading manual for a 25-20.

5 shots 280 yards
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/CIMG1439_zps4e324d49.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/CIMG1439_zps4e324d49.jpg.html)
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/CIMG1694_zps606e3cf8.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/CIMG1694_zps606e3cf8.jpg.html)

I shoot tethered mostly, but both guns are good for two good shots and a finisher in the field.

I use scba tanks, these are 4500 PSI firemans tanks and I fill them with a 4500 PSI compressor.. I get 65 shot with the 66 cf bottles and 45 with the 44 cf bottles shooting from 4500 psi to 3500 psi with a regulator.

See my thread under single shots.

roachcreek
09-11-2013, 01:00 AM
There are many threads on the TAG, I am Roachcreek there also and Unrepentantsinner on the Yellow forum, the TAG has a 257 cast bullet guide and a lot of posts on the 257 using cast bullets.

PCP's that shoot pellets are not known for shooting bullets well, air gun barrels are usually choked and that as a general rule ruins any chance of accuracy, the best 257 shooters use a 257 barrel firearms barrel, usually the TJ barrel, my Scandalous is a switch barrel set using two TJ 36 inch barrels one a 1-14 and one a 1-10 twist, and two Leupold vx111 4.5x14 scopes sighted in for each barrel, the 1-10 is used for the heavier slugs.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/CIMG1804_zpsc3c892ea.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/CIMG1804_zpsc3c892ea.jpg.html)

As you can see it gets addicting.

roachcreek
09-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Tony does build great AF guns, but they are very expensive and a years wait. They run around 1800 dollars for a full blown AF rifle and when you are through you have a 1800 dollar gun that you will never get your money out of.

For that kind of money there are many other options that are far better for you buck.

Cast bullet shooting with air guns is just getting started, especially in the smaller bores like the 257. Demand should get makers going, Dyotat makes cast bullet guns based on the AF rifles for about what Tony wants for his ultra pellet shooters, RLairguns is now selling a TJ barrel that will drop into a AirForce Condor and he sells an extreme valve that will get you shooting around 900 FPS with a 257420, but his barrels are throated for pellets and you need to cut a lead into the chamber in order to even get a bullet sized to 258 into the barrel, but that is not difficult, I have done many with hand tools.

I shot the AF rifles with cast bullets for a couple of years before getting the Haley 257.

Jack Haley, who was the go to man for the 257 guns, is very ill and will not be making anymore rifles though. The 257 Scandalous was the brain child of Jack's friend John Bowman, he had the rifle made up and sat on it for a couple years before showing it off, if any one can be credited for starting the trend of cast bullet shooting in air guns it is John Bowman.

Last year John killed over 40 coyotes from 300 to 400 yards with his 257 air gun.

John never posts on forums, but he is a legend among us who shoot cast bullet air guns.

bsgp8ntball
09-11-2013, 01:26 PM
great info guys... been looking at some airguns

Browningshooter
09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Holy Smokes! This is interesting stuff.....off to go see what I can find about hunting whitetail with an airgun!

Swamp Man
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
The one thing about hunting with air guns is it's vary important to check your state laws on air gun use. You may have to call or better yet email them so you can get the answer. I say it's better to email them because that way you will have written proof of what you were told. Because many officers may not know or fully understand the laws due to this being a somewhat new craze in hunting.

shaper
09-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Wow... I had no idea. I have some reading to do. Are there any books about this?

Swamp Man
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Here is a link to where you can check into these guns from one of the best builders out there. Read the whole site it will answer lots of questions.
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com

aspangler
09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Air guns legal for SMALL game in TN. NOT big game.

mroliver77
09-12-2013, 07:43 AM
What about air rifles for the poor? I did some searching a year or two back. There were some .22 in the $200. range that got great reviews. Even a 2MOA shooter would work great on squirrel and other small game. Now I lost everything and don't remember the names or web sites.

I can see the antis freaking out when somebody brings it to their attention that there are multi shot, powerful, quiet and unregulated toys out there.
J

KCSO
09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
If it woulnd't have been for the pumping problems in the 1790's we would all be shooting air guns these days. I have a wonderful article on the history of air guns in "International Guns Digest".

mroliver77
09-12-2013, 01:04 PM
If it woulnd't have been for the pumping problems in the 1790's we would all be shooting air guns these days. I have a wonderful article on the history of air guns in "International Guns Digest".
Garands and M14 just would not be as cool if they were air powered!! ;)
J

Larry Gibson
09-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I have 4 air rifles 3 of which I use for small game huntin and pest control. Mine are all "springers"; 3 barrell cock and a side cock. I have 2 .177s, a .20 and a .22. I use the Stoeger XM20 w/suppressor, the Beeman R9 .20 and the RWS M54 .22 calls for hunting small game, plinking and in general shooting fun. The Webley Hawk Mk III .177 I use for back yard sillouettes and yellow jacket shooting in camp.

My prefered pellet for all is the Crosman Premeirs; either domed or domed HPs. The heavier constructed CPs or similar pellets are needed for the "magnum: level air rifles. The softer hollow pure lead pellets are pretty inaccurate much past 25 yards. Also the domed are best for accuracy much past 25 yards. The CPs are accurate to 90 yards in the M54 and carry a heavy "thump" on critters. The RWS The XM20 runs 850 fps with the 7.8 gr pellets, the .20 cal RP runs 666 fps with 14.3 CPs and the M54 pushes the 14.3 gr .22 cal CPs at 800 fps. All are quite deadly on critters up through jack rabbits in size but the larger .20 and .22 cals do "thump" harder as they carry more diameter and pellet weight. I use the el scheapo WC pellets loded backwards in the Webley to shoot baited yellow jackets around camp......lots of fun......

I prefer the springers because hey are alwaysready to go; all you need is the rifle and a tin of pellets. No need for pumps, valves or scuba tanks......not saying they're better than scuba guns just saying they are less hassle and always ready.........

If in want to hunt anything bigger or more seriously I use a firearm.

Larry Gibson

Swamp Man
09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
What about air rifles for the poor? I did some searching a year or two back. There were some .22 in the $200. range that got great reviews. Even a 2MOA shooter would work great on squirrel and other small game. Now I lost everything and don't remember the names or web sites.

I can see the antis freaking out when somebody brings it to their attention that there are multi shot, powerful, quiet and unregulated toys out there.
JI have a Beeman model 1073 for my bad weather gun it's got a good bit punch and was cheap compared to my other air rifles. It's a "springer' that came with two barrels 177,22 as well as a cheap scope got it at Wal-mart for about 120 bucks. It's a vary long and heavy gun with a wood stock no problem making clean kills on tree rats with either barrel and clean kills on rabbits with the 22. I didn't put the scope on it once broke in after a 100 or so shot and sighted in it's real accurate. below is a link to a picture of the 1073

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wiggy8675309/media/doublesquirrel2.jpg.html

jcwit
09-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Is that your Beeman 1073? I see that same pix from another forum dated back in January of '09 from a fella in Tenn.

Swamp Man
09-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Is that your Beeman 1073? I see that same pix from another forum dated back in January of '09 from a fella in Tenn.
No that picture was on the Bing picture list. I have one of those 1073 but don't have a picture of it so I posted the one from Bing.

jcwit
09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
No that picture was on the Bing picture list. I have one of those 1073 but don't have a picture of it so I posted the one from Bing.

Was just wondering when I was looking as to what the 1073 actually was.

Beeman was/is? excellent products. I have an R-1 purchased way back when they retailed for $300.00 approx.

Also have an Weihrauch HW30S and HW60 pistol sold/marketed by Beeman.

-Mischief
09-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Holy Smokes! This is interesting stuff.....off to go see what I can find about hunting whitetail with an airgun!Check with your local state air rifle restrictions. In NY .... "Air guns may now be used for hunting small game. Air guns are defined as a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed."

Also, RC (RoachCreek) along with many other members of the TAG (Talon Air Guns) forums actually make parts to "supe" up the AirForce line of air rifles. I have a Condor that's been modified to a 257 caliber that shoots a 74gn slug at over 900fps..and there are others shooting well beyond that!

Swamp Man
09-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Was just wondering when I was looking as to what the 1073 actually was.

Beeman was/is? excellent products. I have an R-1 purchased way back when they retailed for $300.00 approx.

Also have an Weihrauch HW30S and HW60 pistol sold/marketed by Beeman.

Yes it's a break barrel Beeman. I bought mine for days when it's a bit nasty out and I don't want to take other guns out. For the price of the gun it's hard to beat. The gun itself is a Sportman but the package deal with the two barrels and scope is called the model 1073.

mikeym1a
09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I have a .22 undercocker that I got from compasseco several years ago. I think it is a Tech Force 99. Supposed to be capable of 900fps with a standard pellet. It came with a nice scope. I tried it at 50 ft, and it penetrated 1 1/2 1" pine boards, back to back. Seems quite accurate. It even had a 'report'. My Daisy .22 only goes 600fps, and sounds like a standard air gun. I've wanted a 'big bore' for quite some time, but, I can buy an actual firearm of good quality for the price of one pcp gun.

mroliver77
09-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Yes it's a break barrel Beeman. I bought mine for days when it's a bit nasty out and I don't want to take other guns out. For the price of the gun it's hard to beat. The gun itself is a Sportman but the package deal with the two barrels and scope is called the model 1073.

I looked at that package. If I ever get monetarily above flush again I might give it a try.
J

Swamp Man
09-13-2013, 10:18 AM
I looked at that package. If I ever get monetarily above flush again I might give it a try.
J
Now beware some of these break barrel guns can be a bear to compress the spring. This 1073 Beeman takes a bit of elbow grease but not bad once you get use to it. If you have shoulder problems that is something to think about. People with shoulder,hand,wrist problems would be better off looking into CO2,PCP or pump air guns. I have R.A. so I always wear my wrist braces when shooting my break barrel guns.

jcwit
09-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Also look at the side lever or under lever guns, to me they seem easier to cock, why, no idea other than leverage may be different.

Here's a link to one of the better side levers

http://www.amazon.com/Diana-RWS-48-air-rifle/dp/B000BWCHSU/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379083659&sr=1-19&keywords=rws

mroliver77
09-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Well I do have a 13 year old daughter. She is a brute! Still a girl though. We are not competitors at anything but just farmers and hunters with a passion for shooting, and blowing stuff up, and fires and ..... well we are Americans! :)

I had thought of the CO2 guns as I have a large tank and account for my wire welder. It does not hold the 4500PSI though. I do like pump or spring guns as one does not have to rely on logistics as much.

I don't mind cost as long as it is "reasonably priced" for a hunting/plinking piece that will last a lifetime. I will sell my "treasures" to fund something she wants and will keep.(To a point)

Thanks for your opinions. Not meaning to steal shapers thread but just guiding it a bit!
J

Swamp Man
09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I do have a 13 year old daughter. She is a brute! Still a girl though. We are not competitors at anything but just farmers and hunters with a passion for shooting, and blowing stuff up, and fires and ..... well we are Americans! :)

I had thought of the CO2 guns as I have a large tank and account for my wire welder. It does not hold the 4500PSI though. I do like pump or spring guns as one does not have to rely on logistics as much.

I don't mind cost as long as it is "reasonably priced" for a hunting/plinking piece that will last a lifetime. I will sell my "treasures" to fund something she wants and will keep.(To a point)

Thanks for your opinions. Not meaning to steal shapers thread but just guiding it a bit!
J
Sounds like we are in the same boat I'm not a competitors I'm a farmer,shooter,hunter myself. For the long haul it's hard to beat the spring loaded air guns. To maintain them it only takes a drop or two of silicone oil in the chamber ever 500 or so shoots and a drop or two if gun oil on the metal parts from time to time. If maintained they will last many years of shooting. I found a few types of pellets that my guns like and stocked up on them for price control because we all know nothing ever gets cheaper. My 1073 likes Crosman round nose hunting pellets in both 177 and 22 cheapest place to get them is wal-mart in the 500 count tins about $7 for 177 and $9 for 22. I also use Beeman Silver Arrow for my heavier pellets when hunting rabbits in thick grassy fields but they are a bit pricey at about $10-11 for 200 count tin at the LGS.

44Vaquero
09-13-2013, 10:37 PM
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571

.357 6 shot PCP up to 800 fps. It looks like every one is getting into the act now!

Swamp Man
09-14-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571

.357 6 shot PCP up to 800 fps. It looks like every one is getting into the act now!

81765I heard about that gun before it was built and released it's pretty impressive for a retail air gun. Most times you have to go top dollar custom to get that kind of performance.