PDA

View Full Version : Am I Backwards?

steve4102
09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Do I have my mold handles on backwards? I have an Mihec 4 cavity mold with Lee handles. I have the handles mounted on the sprue plate pivot side.

This photo shows them mounted on the opposite side.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?127077-MiHec-H-amp-G-68-4-Cavity-Brass-452-200gr-SWC-results

USAFrox
09-10-2013, 09:04 AM
The handles in that picture are mounted backwards to every mould pic I've seen before. If you have yours mounted opposite, you've got it right. However, it won't hurt things either way. That pic just shows them mounted in what I think is an awkward manner.

mdi
09-10-2013, 12:20 PM
No experience with that mold, but what I would think is; Does the mold/handles work as they are assembled? Are they safe? Does the assembly fit your casting methods? Have you tried the handles mounted on the other side?

I'm looking at getting a Mihec mold, so I'm not just giving smart adz answers...[smilie=s:

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 01:17 PM
I mount mine with the pivot end toward me, but had to drill a hole and install a long roll pin in the handle tang has a stop to keep the thing from flipping around and burning the bejezus out of the back of my left hand. The other way endangers the thumb knuckle if you miss while tapping the sprue plate open. In the pic, the tangs on the handles being used aren't installed fully into the handles, leaving what looks like an inch or so of extra clearance to work the "backwards" sprue plate arrangement. When I get done re-gluing my Lee handles they're pretty well choked up on the hilt of the tangs. Do whatever works for you, and whatever feels most comfortable.

Gear

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Just what gearnasher said. I may do the same with the pin in the handles. My first attempt to prevent the searing sprue plate from getting to my hand was a longer bolt in the handle hinge pin. It still gets to my hand.

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Charlie, drill a hole through the left handle tong, opposite the handle hinge bolt from the right handle tang, about halfway between the handle hinge bolt and the back face of the left block. You can install a long #10 machine screw though there, put in a roll pin, rivet in a piece of brass rod, or whatever you want for a sprue plate stop.

Gear

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Gear

I'll be doing that before heating up the lead pot this weekend.

Charlie

Hamish
09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Steve, there is no "backwards", there is only what way that it is comfortable for you to cast.

Personally, that is how I have many of mine. I hold the handles in my left hand and then with my gloved hand brace my fingers against the side of the mould and cut the sprue by pulling against the sprue plate with my thumb.

It all depends on what the mould wants.

dbosman
09-10-2013, 02:08 PM
IF you use your gloved thumb to open the sprue plate, you want the sprue plate close to your thumb.
I've seen Miha HP molds run that way.

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I use a glove on my right hand to operate the sprue plate: Index and middle reach to the opposite side of the left block, thumb on the sprue plate tang, flick it open like a Zippo. Fast, minimal contact time with the scorching-hot mould, and the sprue plate doesn't swing and flop around everywhere off the end of the right block when the mould is open. Like I said, matter of preference.

Gear

Char-Gar
09-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Steve, there is no "backwards", there is only what way that it is comfortable for you to cast.It all depends on what the mould wants.

Yep, that is the way I see it to.

runfiverun
09-10-2013, 03:03 PM
i have seen them both directions, this includes those that open by hand and with a mallet/stick.
i have mine mounted like in the picture, and i open by either pushing the mold open by my thumb or break it open by my palm and catch the sprue in my hand.
it's whatever suits your style and comfort level.

youngda9
09-10-2013, 04:57 PM
I always have sprue handle towards me. I use my gloved right hand to slide the sprue plate and drop the sprue into the pot...works for me.

Baja_Traveler
09-10-2013, 05:28 PM
All of mine are exactly as the picture, but then again I'm left handed - so it feels more comfortable for me to be opening the sprew plate from the back forwards...

MtGun44
09-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I put the sprue handle towards me or to the right on all my molds. I am right handed,
so maybe lefties will find the "backwards" way works better for them.

Whatever works.

Bill

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Ain't it great to have options?

Gear

steve4102
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks Guys!

wallenba
09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
The handles look OK, the mold looks backwards though.... just sayin':kidding:

Larry Gibson
09-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Steve, there is no "backwards", there is only what way that it is comfortable for you to cast.

Personally, that is how I have many of mine. I hold the handles in my left hand and then with my gloved hand brace my fingers against the side of the mould and cut the sprue by pulling against the sprue plate with my thumb.

It all depends on what the mould wants.

I mount those blocks the same way as I open the sprue plate with goves also.

Larry Gibson