PDA

View Full Version : .303 Pygmy reamers.

JeffinNZ
10-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi team.

My .303 Pygmy reamers are home after a wee trip to Australia. If anyone else would like borrow them I am happy to post them gratis to help spread the gospel of the .303 short.

They are not the prettiest reamers but they do a fine job and to my knowledge have cut only two chambers.

PM me if you would like to use them. Maybe they can do a round the world trip.

Boz330
10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Jeff, what is the origin of the 303 Pygmy? Is it the standard chamber minus one thread cut off the barrel and then just recutting the chamber or more than that? It is an interesting concept and I have a Martini Enfield that might be a cadidate for just such a conversion.

Bob

JeffinNZ
10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Bob.

The conversion you refer to was done in Australia as at one time civilians could not own firearms in military calibre. This got round the problem.

The Pygmy is a .303 Brit cut down to 1.5 inches. Like a poor man's .308X1.5.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=14415&highlight=.303+pygmy

Is it a one off made by a local guy here in Christchurch who wanted a mild full bore for shooting target out to 300m. PAT303 in AU has just had one built also.

Boz330
10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks Jeff, an interesting project for sure and looks to be quite good fun. The barrel I have for the Martini has had extractor cuts put in already so to cut it down and do that work would require doing that all over again. Probably easier to just run a regular 303 reamer in. I deffinately will keep that in the back of my mine for future projects though. Thanks again.

Bob

Bigjohn
10-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Jeff,
I am currently awaiting my permit for a No1 MkIII*. As it is missing only a couple of minor screws and the barrel is dark, I am thinking of using it for the project.

I'm thinking along the lines of a new Sprinter barrel or MAB profiled to fit inside the woodwork.

So when it comes through, I may ask to be put on the list for a loan of the reamers.

John.

JeffinNZ
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Certainly. We can start a Trans Tasman Pygmy competition!!!!

Ohio Rusty
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Not having a clue as to what these were ..... from the title I could only imagine if reaming a pigmy was painful or if the pigmy complained about being reamed. What kind of noise does a pigmy make? I know I hate it done by the Boss or the Wife. I'm glad to have read the thread to have learned something new about a rifle round instead of something fun that New Zealanders do .....

Ohio Rusty ><>

"This is America!!, where many have fought and died for our right to
celebrate our views with inflatable creatues in our yards ...."

JeffinNZ
10-27-2007, 03:53 PM
:drinks:Oh dear Rusty. You've heard the rumours about us down here then.........

Bigjohn
11-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, the permits have turned up and the rifle now resides here. I hope to get in and do an inspection/disassembly of it to carry out a rather thorough inspection.

I have here a .303" 'H' Target barrel which is already chambered in .303 Brit and it is one of the options for making the Pygmy barrel.

Sprinter seems like the best option for getting a new barrel rather than modifying the Target barrel.

The original barrel was fired with some ex-mil ammo and left without cleaning so it is of no use.

Looking into my options at present.

John.