PDA

View Full Version : knockin' doves out of the air

gew98
09-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I managed a three day weekend this past weekend and made the four hour drive home. Had a good time with the family and got to hang out with a dear friend on sunday and we shot some doves !!!. My 10 year old finally got some trigger time on game and managed three...spectacular all things considered. We got our limit of 15 each in a couple hours and many shotshells later. Fried in a skillet with flour ,salt & pepper they make a killer meal. It warmed the heart to see the boy take to it and do as good as he did. And for the past couple days my friend calls me every evening to let me know he got his daily limit.
Memories to cherish.

beagle
09-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Blasted a few myself today. Loads of fun./beagle

gmsharps
09-09-2013, 12:58 AM
This is the hardest time of the year to be away from home. Bird season is in, Deer season right around the corner and pigs when you want them. Family and friends to be with. Guys appreciate what you have. Maybe someday I'll be back home.

gmsharps

Boz330
09-09-2013, 01:54 PM
I planted some sunflowers and millet this spring so I would have a place to hunt doves but the damn birds ate sunflower seed before it could sprout. The only thing that came up was the millet and they didn't seem interested in it. Fired a couple shots but not even enough doves for a batch.

I used to get an invite to a great shoot but lost my connection. Here is a pic of the best year there which was 2010, 102 doves in less that 3 hours. Then drinks and snacks at the main house. Man I miss that shoot.

Bob

km101
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Cant hunt doves any more due to vision problems, but still enjoy the after hunt meals! We take the breasts and soak them in buttermilk for about an hour. Then slice a jalapeno into small slices and place a slice on each breast. Wrap the breast/jalapeno with a slice of bacon and pin in place with a toothpick.

Grill over med heat for about 15 min., turning occasionally to make sure bacon is cooked. When the bacon is done they are ready to serve. Goes well with a pot of beans, some Mexican cornbread, and plenty of cerveza!

I sure miss those hunts, but now I do most of the cooking, so I'm still in it!