PDA

View Full Version : poor mans merit device

twotoescharlie
08-21-2005, 01:57 PM
us old fellers need all of the help we can get to make the open sights clearer.
this is a little cheapy that I made that really makes those open sights stand out.
I bought a cheap pair of the clip on-flip up sunglasses (about 3 bucks at the dollar store)
put them on and got one of my rifles with open sights, lined the sights up as I normally shoot and got my wife to mark a dot on the lens with a black marker, removed and drilled a small hole at the dot,removed the lens from the opposite side and spray painted with flat black paint.
later I trimmed the lens down to about the size of a dime and smoothed up the edges.
this thing works great for myself, sights nice and sharp,you can flip it up out of the way to use your spotting scope or binocs, and then flip it back down to shoot.
you can drill a small hole to begin with as you can always open it up later.
I also made one with two holes in it, 1 for rifle shooting and 1 for pistol shooting as I am left eye dominant but shoot a pistol right handed.
this might not work for everyone but it really helped myself, and if it don't you ain't out but for 3 bucks.

TTC

Mel-4857
08-21-2005, 03:23 PM
GREAT IDEA. I don't have too much trouble with peeps but open sights are a pain.Some shoots I have to stick with original sights. This would be a great help.I'm left eye dominant and right-handed. I've always shot rifle and shotgun left-handed but like you hold my pistol in my right hand. Thanks for a
great idea. Mel

twotoescharlie
08-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Glad to be of some help, I have shot left handed most of my life(rifles and shotguns)as I lost vision in my right eye at the age of 10.
don't know why but have always shot a bow and arrow left handed.

TTC