PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 440gr. LEE .500 S&W bullets on RCBS LAM2?

21Glock
09-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,
This evening,I was going to trying lubing some LEE 440gr. FNGC bullets for my .500 S&W on my relatively new, (got it last Fall) RCBS LAM2. These were some bullets that I cast with my LEE 440gr. mold and sized and lubed on my Lee push through sizing die set a few years ago.
I have had great success on sizing and lubing , using White Label 2500 lube on my LEE 180gr. TC 10mm GC and LEE 230gr TC .45 ACP/.460 Rowland GC slugs for my Glocks on this LAM2 last spring and wanted to try putting some White Label 2500 lube on my gas checked homecast 440gr. 500S&W slugs just to try them out.

I think I was very low on lube in the LAM when I went to use it and I could easily turn the lube flow knob and no lube came out.
Easy solution, put another stick of 2500 lube in the LAM2. Even though I used my Lyman heater(attached) the lube was hard to get to flow and when it did flow, it hardly filled the 4 grooves on this long 440gr. FNGC .500 bullet.

I deepened the depth that the top punch would push the bullet into the .500 RCBS sizing and lube die and still have not got the good, smooth even fill of the 4 grooves like I have on my 1 groove 10mm and 45 ACP bullets.
Is there a trick to lubing long 4 groove bullets like this 440gr. FNGC for the .500 S&W on RCBS LAM2?

Plus, I just tried to remove my lube/sizer die for the .500 and I can't get the die lock ring to come off of the die.
I'm calling RCBS in the a.m. enough of this!

Thanks for any help or advice!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
You haven't really offered enough info.
But, generally speaking, Some boolits lube easier than other.
I lube the C501-440, it isn't necessarily a problem one IMHO, but it takes more lube obviously, so you need to turn the pressure screw more.
maybe the lube wasn't warm enough ?
Was RCBS any help with the locknut ?

21Glock
09-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I talked with RCBS earlier today and they said that the O ring on the lube plunger might need to be replaced so they will be sending me couple of them. I had been turning the lube control handle and wasn't getting any lube going to the die. It's like it was clogged up, even though I added lube, none was reaching the die.
I had my Lyman heater turned on as well under the LAM2.
They will also be sending me a couple more die cap lock nuts since the one on the .500 die looks like it's now part of the die and won't come off. I'll have some die cap lock nuts for my other two dies.
I figure if a new O ring on the plunger doesn't work and get the lube to flowing again, I may just get a heat gun at my local Home Depot and melt out all the old lube in the LAM2 and start over with new lube. And I was having such success with the LAM2 when I last used it last Spring on my .45 and 10mm slugs.
I talked to Glen Larson at Lssstuff and he said leaving the 2500 lube in there for 6-12mos. shouldn't cause it to clog up like it is.

Very frustrating to say the least. If the LAM2 never had worked as good as it did when I first got it, I wouldn't be as bummed as how I am now. Between RCBS and good folks like you on here, I'll figure out how to get it going again.

Thanks for the reply!

MT Chambers
09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Put more heat to it for a longer period, it'll flow....I take the nut off the die while it's still in the sizer, usually if these stick together, they come apart with a small tug, I'm thinkin' you need to spend more time with your Luber....become one with it.

21Glock
09-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I think I tightened the nut too tight on the die while it was in the sizer that why it's not coming loose from the die.My mistake clearly. The manual cautions against this.
I talked with Glen Larson today at Lsstuff where I got my lube. He owns a RCBS LAM2 and he said he wipes the rubber O ring on the Lube plunger clean on his LAM2 to make sure it's adhering to the walls of the sizer to push the lube out like it should. I noticed my O ring had alot of lube on it and took it off and cleaned it. I'll follow your advice on heating it longer too before I decide to take a heat gun to it to melt all the lube out.

Spawn-Inc
09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
use a wooden dowel or smaller diameter bullet and push down the center pin in the sizing die. once you can see the lube holes that fill the grooves on the bullet, then slowly crank the handle until you see lube come out.

i have a lyman 4500 and use the same bullet without any issue, BUT i make ben's red for it so it flows without heat without issue. those bullets take a good amount of lube too, i have to crank the handle every bullet. i also only lube the first lube grove and what ever is left from a gas check. i don't fill the 2 crimp grooves.