PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel pellet gun?

crabo
10-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rifle pellet gun to shoot squirrels in the city? I have several large pecan trees and the squirrel pop is getting out of hand. I made myself a promise that the first time they got in the attic, I was going on the hunt.

Gamo seems to have some good gun/scope packages. I don't really want to spend over about $225.

Thanks,

Crabo

jim4065
10-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Had a Beeman C1 which worked very well. My experience with Gamo has been limited, but they seem to make good second tier guns. Never heard of a bad Beeman or RWS. Only had one Chinese *** - never again.

Bret4207
10-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Unless there's an ordinance against it, a long barreled 22 rifle and CB's or 22 shorts works great and is quiter then most of the "magnum" type pellet guns. My sons 1000 fps job is almost as load as a 22 LR with certain pellets.

C A Plater
10-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I've found .22 pellet guns do a quicker job of squirrel slaying than .177 does. Both will kill but the bigger hole seems to bring them down quicker. I use http://www.pyramydair.com/ as a reliable air gun source.

10-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I use a .177 RWS with a scope and it's an honest 40 yard + tree rat eradicator. My .20 Sheridain is dead on but limited by open sights and old eyes. Any of the *** Chinese I've tried are a true waste of time amd money.

Boz330
10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Had a Beeman C1 which worked very well. My experience with Gamo has been limited, but they seem to make good second tier guns. Never heard of a bad Beeman or RWS. Only had one Chinese *** - never again.

I had good luck with one of the Chinese Co2 guns but the spring powered one is not as good. The Co2 gun will shoot quarter size groups across the shop, 20yd. I think I gave $49 for it several years ago. Copasseco is right in my home town and they carry stuff other than the Chinese. The Co2 rifle leans against the wall to dispatch Starlings trying to get into the building to nest. They are distructive little ********.

Bob

Dr. A
10-24-2007, 11:16 AM
I've got two crossman's unlike what I got as a kid. The 177cal. is very accurate. Using good Gamo Tomahawk ammo (important), I can't loose. I've got expanded pellets on my desk to prove it. We have squirrel problems, and this rifle takes out 15 or 20 a year. My 22 is very potent, but is inaccurate. They are actually made by different companies. believe the 22 is Chineese, and the 177 is made by Mendoza. The Mendoza came for under 150 bucks with a scope. Its what was available locally. The Spring pistons are big, but pretty powerful. I got to look forward to coming home and thinning out the squrrel herd! For the money, its hard to beat these. In general, you get what you pay for.

They are also kind of tempermental on how you support them when shot.

jim4065
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Another possibility if you've got nosey neighbors and stringent city ordinances - get a quality pellet pistol. My "Beeman" Webley Tempest is by far my most accurate pistol out to 25 yards and I can get non-lethal hits on crows to 50 yards. It attracts far less attention than a rifle - even if it's somewhat loud. Just tuck it back in my pocket and go about my business after the shot. It's a barrel cocker, so you won't be so conspicuous pumping it up. Don't know who handles the Webley line now that Beeman's gone but surely there's something similar available. Just a thought.

Scrounger
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
If anyone just has to have a pellet rifle, I have an RWS .177 caliber, Model 48, for $250 shipped. Also have an RWS scope mount for it, $30 and a new in box BSA Air Rifle Scope. I'll have to look up the price on that.

Boz330
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.compasseco.com/

Moose
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Got a Stevens/Savage bolt gun (older than I am - no, it's not a matchlock-) and with that and CCI CBcaps in the short LR cases - Well, that has cleaned the barn numerous times. Makes less noise than clapping your hands and hits bottlecaps at 20 yards. Better than I can shoot. It lives with the ATV and stuff in the big shed, gets cleaned every two or three years and is known as Pigeon Bane. No question that it does the job. The Sheridan is more accurate, much, much more work @ 6+ pumps, and makes more noise. Nice little snap to it, when you get a few pumps working. I think that most any air gun with suitable power will make more noise than the CB caps.
Moose

DanWalker
10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
A 223 makes a dandy pellet gun when loaded with a 22 caliber pellet, inserted into a primed 223 case. It's quiet too.

OBXPilgrim
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah, what C A Plater said!!

I've got one of these, with a 4 power big game scope on it.

http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1045
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2260-special-edition-air-rifle.shtml

Quarter-sized 15 yard groups (head-shot size) are NOoooo problem.

I kind of prefer the CO2 variety, YMMV.

And..they will do in a Crow quite well!

freedom475
10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
I have a Gamo, a Daisy and a Winchester(made by Daisy) all barrel cockers 177cal.
None of them reach the advertised 1000fps The best is the Win. @890fps,it has a much tighter bore.

It seems that with a scope mounted separate from the cocking barrel it is hard to keep consistent acuracy, but the open sight is on the barrel itself and it works a little better. They are all louder than 22CB's., but I don't know if I would go plinking around town with CB's:mrgreen:[smilie=1:

Have an old pump-up Benjiman in 22Cal that shoots great.> 1 pump=flies off the cabin wall with barely a dent< 10+pumps= the man I bought it from used it to butcher hogs. No BS and it really thumps gophers.

corvette8n
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a Gamo shadow with a BSA airgun scope, ask the 12 squirrels and 7 chipmonks how well it does - oops I forgot they cant say anything now.
I also go a thru and thru on my 5/8" reinforced garden hose, don't ask.[smilie=1:

1Papalote
10-30-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a nearly-40 year old Sheridan Blue streak that cleanly takes squirrels, rabbits and the like. It shoots accurately and has been trouble free since I got it at 9 years of age.

1Papalote

pumpguy
10-31-2007, 04:15 PM
I have shot RWS and Gamo both. Both are very accurate, but, the RWS is very tempremental. The Gamo is more rugged. Both will shoot through a 5/8" cedar picket if you miss. At least that is what I hear.[smilie=1:

LeadThrower
11-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I've got an .22 RWS Air King (model 54, if my memory's working). I can't say enough about this rifle's accuracy. I've never shot game with it, but I'd swear that any lead leaving the barrel is enchanced with a homing device!

The RWS' are pricey, but I'm sure glad I've got mine. Get this: it was a Valentine's present from my wife. What a gal! :-D

Larry Gibson
11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I've got an .22 RWS Air King (model 54, if my memory's working). I can't say enough about this rifle's accuracy. I've never shot game with it, but I'd swear that any lead leaving the barrel is enchanced with a homing device!

The RWS' are pricey, but I'm sure glad I've got mine. Get this: it was a Valentine's present from my wife. What a gal! :-D

I've had a M54 for some years. I have killed 69 rats (Brown and Norwegian Wharfs) off my squirrel feeder in the back yards. I've also killed many ground squirrels and jack rabbits with it along with several hundred starlings and a good number of crows (maybe a grouse or two but I won't admit to it and the evidence is long gone down the sewer). I prefer the Crosman Premier bellets in mine and have shot many a 1" 50 yard group with the M54. It can be hell on cheaper scopes. So far my Leupold 6x20EER has held up.

Larry Gibson

AkMike
11-03-2007, 02:42 AM
If you're way inside the city limits with anti-gun laws.. Try getting a couple of the big rat sized traps and nail them on the sides of the tree.. Smear the trigger pan with P-Nut butter.. End of the tree rat problem but with out the fun!

Larry Gibson
11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
“THEY COME AT NIGHT….MOSTLY”

by Larry M. Gibson

That line struck me as odd considering it was noon. I had been watching the bait on the tree the last three mornings and nights. When there would be just enough light to see through the riflescope in the morning. Then again until there wasn’t enough light to see at night. I would give it a full 45 minutes at position in the hide overlooking the bait. I knew they were there. I had seen them, early one morning, and besides the bait kept getting eaten, at night….mostly.

The two I’d seen were young and very skittish. No matter. They were there and that was enough. The unfortunate circumstance was my rifle was down for repair. The parts had been ordered and were on the way. When they arrived the rifle would be repaired and, with the bluff nose bullet, rezeroed. Penetration is a must. The exact distance from the hide to the bait platform was known. Point of impact would match point of aim with certainty. However, this frustrating time of waiting left me with ample time to ponder the situation.

I had done this before, 24 times to be exact. There should be no surprises. Yet thoughts of the many leopard stories from classic books of Africa mingled with thoughts of those times. The sleek silent predator suddenly appearing at the bait. The long tense waits in the hide. Thoughts screaming through your brain so loud you’re sure it will hear. Has it come? Does it know? Can it smell me? Hell, can it sense me? Capstick’s aptly descriptive words written in “DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS” were ringing so true. Then, of course, there was the classic line of the little girl in the movie ALIENS; “They come at night … mostly”.

There should have been no surprises. But dammit, it’s noon! And it’s 80 degrees on a hot, humid, lazy summer day. I’m not even hunting. I just happen to glance at the tree. The movement catches my attention. IT is going up the tree and this one is not young. This one is huge, a trophy. The largest I’ve seen. Definitely the one you write home to Mama about! But I’m 5 yards from the hide and the rifle isn’t loaded, how stupid. All I can do is watch and not move. IT reaches the bait, glances around, so quickly the fangs snatch up a piece of bait! Then with all the described silent smoothness of the great predators IT is down the tree and into the dense undergrowth.

I move, picking up the rifle and with a quick practiced movement it is loaded. Climbing into the hide a solid shooting position is taken. Good rest with natural point of aim centered on the bait. Extra ammo’s at hand. Riflescope set at 9X. Focus perfect. Safety’s off. Easy on the trigger … remember it’s two-stage. Everything’s set. Well, except for one …. BREATHE stupid!!! Settle down.

Then the thoughts come with the questions you can’t answer. Will IT return? Was that IT’s first trip to the bait or the last? How hungry was IT? Does IT know?. Why now? Just doesn’t make sense. Seems like when you’ve got the answer to the question, they change the question. Try to stop thinking. Can’t. Where… is … IT?

There! Movement in the undergrowth. Yes, that’s IT and how wary IT is. IT does know. I’m still aimed at the bait. Can’t chance moving the rifle for a shot there, IT will see, must wait. Swiftly IT moves to the base of the tree, hesitates slightly, then with little effort bounds up the backside to the bait. Oh so cautious, IT slinks around between the bait and the feeder then stops on the platform. Crouching low IT stares right at me, no through me! I see the fangs. The twitch of the whiskers. And those eyes. Yes those cold black eyes. They seem to mesmerize me. Magnified at 9X I know … IT knows!

But, too late, the crosshairs have settled quartering the right eye. The first stage is out of the trigger and, at a crisp two pounds of pull, so goes the second. The bluff nose strikes precisely at point of aim. IT is slammed down onto the platform, muscles quivering tensely, tail standing straight up in the air. Quick reload for the insurance shot. Wounded in that undergrowth things could prove difficult to sort out. I settle back for the insurance shot if necessary, it isn’t. IT sags, deflating like the last gasp of a fast leaking party balloon. The tail slowly falls to hang limp over the platform.

I turn, still standing in the bathtub and uncock the RWS M54 air rifle. My wife, from the bedroom, says; “Well, did you get it?” I answer rather nonchalantly; “Of course!” Closing the bathroom window, which makes for a rather convenient hide, I look once more down upon the squirrel feeder nailed to the tree 17 yards away. The large Norwegian Wharf Rat lying there is probably the biggest of the 25 killed yet.

As I approach the feeder to confirm the kill (i.e. throwing said rat over the back fence) I see the .22 cal Crossman Premier pellet hit the right eye precisely. Didn’t even cut fur. I lift it off the feeder, using gloves, and hold it up for my wife to see who has safely stayed upstairs in the house. She yells out the window; “Jeez, that sure is a big sucker!” I agree. It measured 14 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. I then unceremoniously confirm the kill. There are larger rats for sure, but none in my hunting “concession”… so far.

“THEY COME AT NIGHT….MOSTLY” but then …. perhaps not!

45nut
11-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Great story!

Larry Gibson
11-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Here's part two but I'm using a R9 .20 cal.

A USE FOR RATS

By Larry M. Gibson

Was it the cold bleak gray light of the short winter day through its somber mood that had defused my sense of alertness? Perhaps it was the mesmerizing stories, which had my mind, if not my soul, in a far distant land and time. My mind was adrift in Africa walking the banks of the Tana River with Meinertzhagan some 97 years ago. Closing Volume VIII, “Hunting in Kenya”, I contemplated whether my recent sigh was one of disgust at being born a century too late or merely because my coffee cup was empty. With that lingering thought another plaintive sigh brought me to my feet and had me headed for the coffeepot. I could have inquired of my good and lovely wife, Kathleen, for a refill but I have long been conditioned that such a request may invoke a dreaded “honey do”!

Therefore I advanced stealthily upon the “Mr. Coffee”. However, as always an instinctive habit took over and I glanced out at the “bait” tree. It had been two weeks now since any rats had been to the bait. The squirrels would usually make a daily visit to their feeder, though usually on these cold wintry mornings they came later in the day. The blustery, still dark shadows of that cold March mid-morning lent a camouflage screen to the squirrel perched on the ledge of the feeder. As I reached for the coffeepot the thought struck like a Tyson right cross up along the side of my head! That “squirrels” tail was not bushy! Two short steps brought me back to the edge of the sliding doors with a quick peek confirming the rat was still there. Or at least I was thinking it was more rat than squirrel.

Now why is it Murphy’s full time job to just follow me! There I was on one side of the sliding doors and, of course, the binoculars were on the other side sitting on the end table. Dropping down low I began the long painful low crawl to the other side. My years of such experience in the Army were indeed paying off, until that is, my wife walked in! With both hands on her hips I got that tongue “clucking” sound that only a wife, with a disdainful point of view, can make. “Another rat?” she inquired. It’s time I move quickly so I grab the ‘nocs and tell her to get away from the doors, she’ll spook the rat. Now I ask, is my wife any different than yours? Does she silently step away as her great white hunter, her PH for life, her Bwana says to? No, of course she doesn’t! She steps right up to the full length sliding door and gives it the classic outstretched hand over the eyebrow “Umm, Tonto see-um” look!

“That looks like a squirrel to me” she says matter of factly. A quick glance with the ‘nocs confirmed to me it was a rat, and a damned big one at that! I hand the ‘nocs to her and head upstairs to my “hide”. “ You make sure that’s not a squirrel, it still looks like one to me.” She yells over her shoulder. Fortunately for me I was halfway up the stairs and moving fast when I said, “You don’t have your glasses on”! I would have probably been “’noc’d” upside the head had it not been for my lightening speed! Slipping into the bedroom I could later claim I didn’t hear her next remark. I picked up the R9, pulled the scope cover off and stepping into my “hide” cocked the rifle. I leave a .20 cal Crow Magnum pellet in the breach with the rifle uncocked. The 4X Simmons is already pre-focused on the “bait” so cocking the rifle is all that’s necessary.

Standing in the tub the pungent fragrance of many candles, incense and whatever other smelly stuff I get her assails my senses, wafting me off to far away exotic lands. Something to be said for “atmosphere”. Fortunately, my wife was not taking one of her “relaxing” baths. I’ve often pondered the consequence of us having a meeting engagement in her tub, my hide, should I spot a rat. It could get “distracting”, but alas, this was not the time to find out. I slowly slid the window open about three inches to the left. The rat seemed not to notice. It was intently devouring the very spendy “squirrel mix” Kathleen buys at the trendy pet shop in the “snobbish” part of town. I could get six times as much for the money at the local feed and seed but then, it just “isn’t the same”. So OK, the squirrels might eat expensive grits but I’ll be damned if the rats will.

I pushed the R9’s barrel out the window taking a nice rest with the back of my left hand on the windowsill. The crosshairs are settling as my right thumb slides the safety off. Shallow breathing now as the first stage is taken up on the trigger. Be careful, the second stage breaks clean at two pounds. A precise aiming spot is picked on the close shoulder, which will allow the pellet to drive down through the shoulder, through the heart/lungs and low out through the offside shoulder. The crosshairs lock on that spot as my breathing is checked and the final pressure applied to the trigger.

At the shot the rat crumples then tenses. I have seen the shot hit and some feed is blasted away on the offside. The shot was precisely as expected, but long experience tells me to reload very quickly for this one is not finished. Cocking the R9 another Crow Mag is thumb pushed hard into the breach, no time to use the seater and the barrel is closed. The rat seemed to be mortally wounded but begins to thrash violently and falls the five feet to the ground. It is recovering quickly and has gotten its legs under itself. The legs then begin doing what legs do, move it! I do not want the rat to get into the dense brush, mere inches away, because once there, it may be difficult to “sort things out”. I try for a headshot but there’s too much movement. I quickly shift the crosshairs to the front shoulders again and fire. That finishes it, the movement stops the rat collapses and is dead where it lies. Kathleen is duly impressed; she forgives my transgressions regarding her vision and pours me a cup of hot coffee!

And thus it turns out, on this Twelfth Day of March in this year 2000, rat #35 has succumbed to the .20 cal R9 with Crow Magnum pellets. This is the third rat killed so far with the R9, the other 32 having been killed with a .22 cal RWS M54 with Crosman Premiers. Since rat #31 I have only been using heart/lung shots in an attempt to determine what is the difference in the “effectiveness” between the two rifles and calibers. I may switch to Crosman Premiers or FTSs in the R9 for a more valid comparison. This rat #35 was a very large, tenacious and apparently very pregnant female. She went 14 ½ inches “between the pegs” and weighed a tudge over 3 pounds, as weighed on a small hand held fish scale. Of three rats killed with the R9, #35 is the only one which has required an “insurance” shot, so far. A 15 inch male, rat #32, shot with the M54 did not require the “insurance” shot and barely quivered before it died. Too small of a sampling for now, but time will tell and of course with the cooperation of more rats!

Now let us see what’s next. Ah yes, “A Lion Drive on Lake Nakaru” with Chapman, circa 1904…….mmmm and that coffee sure is good!

corvette8n
11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Gamo shadow 1000 does it again.
This one was getting a drink from the above ground pool
He sat up on the rail but I decided not to shoot cause if I missed I might have another hole in the pool, he finally climbed up on the rail of the deck but on the far side about 20 yds away, first shot hit too far back it was injured but running towards me, he jumped onto the ground while I was re-loading and ran diag to the right, he paused long enough to put one through the eye and out the ear.

14 greys so far.[smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
11-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Between the RWS 52 in 25 caliber and the Colibri Supers in the Rem 581.......life has been very tough for the ground squirrels at the new place. The Colibri 22's need a head shot to anchor the dirt rats, but the 25 Crow Magnum pellets (27 grains at almost 800 FPS) can do center-mass dispatches very reliably. The rats have gone underground (one way or another), I haven't seen one for several weeks. The Pellet Gun From Hell.

LeadThrower
11-04-2007, 09:57 AM
LG,
Fantastic storytelling, a delightful read!

Onlymenotu
11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
:roll: @ Larry M. Gibson.... I've read and reread this stories,,, I have a BIG problem with them.... eveybody know's a REAL rat hunter.... knows ugota wear camo.....[smilie=1: I think ur just jerking us around:Fire::Fire: you never mention camo,,,,,, one time :cry:

Larry Gibson
11-04-2007, 01:48 PM
:roll: @ Larry M. Gibson.... I've read and reread this stories,,, I have a BIG problem with them.... eveybody know's a REAL rat hunter.... knows ugota wear camo.....[smilie=1: I think ur just jerking us around:Fire::Fire: you never mention camo,,,,,, one time :cry:

I use a "hide", i.e. the house is the hide. Besides I'm sometimes in PJs, sweats or scivies when standing in the bath tub. What better cammo in a bathroom/bath tub other than my BD suit? LOLs

Larry Gibson

Onlymenotu
11-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I What better cammo in a bathroom/bath tub other than my BD suit? LOLs

Larry Gibson
[smilie=1: alanatural..... is more than I needed to know......:roll: and besides your one brave man.....those rats may come nuthunting:mrgreen:

Larry Gibson
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
[smilie=1: alanatural..... is more than I needed to know......:roll: and besides your one brave man.....those rats may come nuthunting:mrgreen:

Yikes!!! I hadn't thought of THAT!!!!

Larry Gibson

dubber123
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Great stories! It almost makes me wish we had rats around here, so they must have been good.

Single Shot
11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Dateline Oct. 31, 2007 10:00 PM

The cold north wind has finally arrived on the North Coast.

After a dark and stormy start, the moon rose meagerly to the west. Partially shinning through the heavy dark gray clouds.

I forced myself to crawl out from under the warm toasty blankets. Time for another tour on the night shift.

Stumbling to the kitchen I started the sacred caffeine dispenser. Today would need double scoops per cup.

As I hunched over the dinning table I suddenly became acutely aware of movement outside the patio door.

Something was watching me!!

In the dim moon light I could barely see it but something was defiantly out there.

Carefully I arose from the table and leaned toward the pantry. Taking the old trusty Daisy from the corner and adding four pumps and a pointed pellet, I was now ready to face this unknown creature.

Had someone crept to my door to do me harm?

No the movement was to small for that.

I slid the patio door open a foot and waited. Nothing! No movement or sound disturbed the night.

Hearing the stream of caffeine entering the cup, I was distracted from the door and after retrieving a cup, settled at the table to enjoy this liquid gift of the Gods.

Then I saw it again!!

There was more moon light now and I caught the slight movement, as I heard the leaves rustle by the pumpkin patch.

Could it be???

Was it possible??

Finally after all these years, had The Great Pumpkin actually chosen my humble but sincere pumpkin patch???

Nope.

Just another tree rat inviting himself to dinner.

A quick .177 pellet to the base of the brain and the invitation was accepted.

I last saw him soaking in the marinade as if it were a sauna.

He would be the main attraction for dinner upon my return home.