PDA

View Full Version : Gander Mountain?

TXGunNut
09-08-2013, 01:27 AM
With much hoopla and fanfare the D/FW metromess has been blessed with not one, but TWO new Gander Mountain stores. I ventured into the jungle to visit the one in Lewisville to view the "largest selection of firearms in Texas". I found the selection of used firearms a bit tattered and overpriced; found the staff inattentive and ignorant. Great example: I was handed an old Marlin 336 in "30-06" and the barrel band was covering part of the stamping on the barrel, obviously a cobbled-together Frankenstein gun. Every time the clerk handed me a rifle he wandered off to assist a less knowledgeable clerk. I wanted to examine five rifles, gave up after the third. No reloading equipment or supplies, "BP" stuff targeted the inline crowd.
I decided to stop at a nearby Dickies BBQ and wondered why it was deserted at noon on a Saturday. Meat would have been better last night, mebbe Thursday.
If I hadn't gotten a replacement Igloo cooler drain valve at a nearby Academy it would have been a wasted trip.
In all fairness the GM store had a decent camping section and the little bit of Lodge cookware was decently priced.
Has anyone else checked out GM and been disappointed? Was I just having a bad day?

starmac
09-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I have been in gander mountains in several states. As far as I am concerned it is a good sporting goods store, but not for guns, especially used, but I think the same of cabellas.
Gander mountains does have frog togg caps, and that is the only place in the whole united states I have ever seen them, and I have looked at most sporting goods stores I've been to.

LUBEDUDE
09-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Yes GM is a huge disappointment in Tyler as well. Every year the gun dept and sub depts (reloading, bp, etc) continue to shrink while clothing, camping, and fishing appear to grow.

Finding someone to answer your question gets you nothing but a deer in the headlights look.
Hardly any customers are at the cash register, which speaks volumes.

Oh, I and did I mention that management or lack thereof, must think the public is plain stupid? Their prices are sky high!!

Now, just go out the door turn right, drive 1/4 mile and Acadamy will treat you right.

Johnch
09-08-2013, 04:49 AM
The "New" and "Inproved" GM store replaced the old one in Toledo

IMO a total joke

Prices are way high
Clerks are clueless
While they do have a little reloading stuff
It is all well overpriced

I was just in the place yesterday
As I needed a box of factory 9MM ammo
Well after seeing the prices
I will chance it and just use some reloads

John

TXGunNut
09-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I hope they get better, I know how hard it is to get good help these days. They did have plenty of ammo but I have no clue what a reasonable price is these days. Still surprised they didn't have a reloading department. I used to buy quite a bit of camping and hunting gear from their mail-order branch, wasn't always top quality but the prices were good.

Charley
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Checked out the new GM here in SA yesterday. What a joke, prices unbelievably high, the couple of staff I heard were about as clueless as it is possible to be, no reloading equipment or supplies, used guns were higher than new from many local gunshops and other outdoor type stores. Wife laughed herself silly at the clothing prices. I give them a year in this market at most.

km101
09-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I had about the same feeling about the GM store in Lewisville. I realize that it is hard to hire knowledgeable help in all depts. for a new store. But I did not speak to one clerk in the gun dept that knew what he was talking about. And there were about 10 clerks in that dept. All the guns (new and used) that I saw were really overpriced.

They had one deer feeder on display, two tree stands, no game cameras. The store is only worthwhile if you need camping gear, fishing equipment, or footwear. And Academy, just down the service road is lower priced on all three.

They are in the same building as the old Sportsman's Warehouse store, and I don't think they will last as long as SW did. (Darn, I wish we had SW back!)

doctorggg
09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
The one closest to Richmond, VA was so popular it went out of business. Yes I was greatly disappointed.

jcameron996
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but how is academy sports for the things we are all interested in? My previous experience with the big stores has been about like everyone else's. I generally go there to look at their large inventory of firearms then go to the lgs and have them order it for way less money.

starmac
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Academy stores are great if you want a baseball jersey or some fashionable jogging shoes, at least the ones I have been in.

jcameron996
09-08-2013, 01:05 PM
That's what I was afraid of. A couple have opened locally, but haven't been in one yet. I kind of figured they would be about like the aptly named Dick's sporting goods store.

Lefty SRH
09-08-2013, 01:06 PM
The GM store here in Huntsville AL is still in business for some reason unknown to me! AS mentioned before the guns are overpriced and I've seen some that look a little sketchy myself. The reloading stuff is pretty much gone here too. For whats left its over priced.
Although, a friend of mine made a NICE score on 2K primers last week. He took 1K box to the front and it rang up for $4.00. He even asked the clerk if that was correct, she said yes. So he went back and go t another 1K box.

gbrown
09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
The one in Beaumont sucks. As said on another thread--GM came into this area and bought out 3 LGS, lock, stock and barrell to reduce competition. The GM prices and selection leave a lot to be desired. I go in to see what they got and buy some non firearm stuff every now and then. Seems like the turnover of their firearms clerks is a regular thing. Sometimes I hang around to hear the misinformation they put out for laughs. Just another part of my demented being.:bigsmyl2:

P.S. Academy has better gun and ammo prices, but the other day when I went in, it seemed to me that they had raised prices on all ammo. Don't know for sure. Also, the best time to get good prices on ladder stands and feeders is right after Christmas and around 1 January. Down here they have a sale at 15-25 per cent off.

phonejack
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
When the one in my are stopped stocking reloading supplies, I had no reason to go back. Acadamy, well after I "caught " them pricing items on the shelf lower than the check out price, I stopped going there also.(3 times)

Rick Hodges
09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I have been disappointed in my Gander Mt. Firearm prices are high, reloading equipment and supplies non existent and ammo prices sky high. I went to check on 180gr. .40S&W ammo they had advertised in the paper....The maybe 20 yr. old kid handed me a box of 165's and tried to tell me that they were the same thing.

To be honest it has become more of a clothing store than a Hunting/Fishing store. They recently remodeled the inside and .....you guessed it.... expanded the clothing section, combined the firearm and archery section and removed all reloading equipment and supplies to the back room.

daniel lawecki
09-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Johnch try walmart for 9mm better pricing.

Para82
09-08-2013, 06:42 PM
GM in Washington,PA is the same way. Lot of clothes etc and limited guns and reloading supplies.This the closest one to me.The other one I have been to in Charleston, WV was the same way the last time I was there.Pretty sad.
Para82

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
I've been disappointed in the few "new" Gander Mountain stores I've been in the last decade. I must say, they all pale compared to the original in Wilmot, WI, which I was fortunate to have access to 1991 - 1994.

Bass Pro Shop seems to have maybe a little better selection of fishing gear, but in the Kansas City and Wichita area I prefer Cabelas.

It is just how the cards have fallen in my visits.

Kraschenbirn
09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I've been disappointed in the few "new" Gander Mountain stores I've been in the last decade. I must say, they all pale compared to the original in Wilmot, WI, which I was fortunate to have access to 1991 - 1994

I'm certain that a good many older 'outdoors' folks in the upper midwest share your remorse for the passing of old Wilmot store. I spent many an hour browsing through that barn and still have (and use) some of the camping and fishing gear I purchased there...and they offered some pretty fair gunsmithing services, too!

Bill

Johnch
09-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Johnch try walmart for 9mm better pricing.

I have been to 2 of the local Walmarts
Other than a few odd rifle shells

All they had was shotgun shells

John

possom813
09-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess I'm fairly lucky with my Gander Mtn.

They still put powder on the shelves, and it isn't too overpriced(1lbs jugs of unique at 24.99 and 4lbs jugs at 79.99). They don't always have powder, but when they do, it's nice.

There are some powders that are overpriced at 29.99 per pound though.

They haven't had primers in some time, the last ones that I recall were 39.99 per 1k, the last time I bought any from them, they were 2.99 per box of 100, or 34.99 per 1k. So I bought 10 boxes of 100.

As far as their reloading section, it isn't great, but it's the only game in town. Most of the equipment I buy online, or wait until I have to head in the general direction of Cabela's in Allen, they usually have a pretty darn good selection up there.

daniel lawecki
09-08-2013, 08:44 PM
John friday Central and Holland Sylvania store had alot of 9mm. I can keep a eye for it as I live in Toledo near Mich line .

DCM
09-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm certain that a good many older 'outdoors' folks in the upper midwest share your remorse for the passing of old Wilmot store. I spent many an hour browsing through that barn and still have (and use) some of the camping and fishing gear I purchased there...and they offered some pretty fair gunsmithing services, too!

Bill

That was the original Gander "mountain" across the street from Wilmont "mountain", much more like small hill.
They HAD a decent selection and prices Were pretty good from the Catalog dept. which one could pick up their goods at that store.
Now I refer to them as Gouger mountain, high prices poor selection of reloading supplies, No reloading supplies at the "gun superstore" in Men. Falls :( .
Big business showing their best, but on the other hand Mills F&F has RL supplies now and better prices than gouger. :) :)

texassako
09-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I was not even tempted to go see what it was like. I have been in the one in Corsicana a few times and always left unimpressed and empty handed. Figured this one was not going to be any better.

TXGunNut
09-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but how is academy sports for the things we are all interested in? My previous experience with the big stores has been about like everyone else's. I generally go there to look at their large inventory of firearms then go to the lgs and have them order it for way less money.

I like Academy for one narrow area, they stock parts for Coleman lanterns and Igloo coolers. They keep other stuff I like as well, when I was buying 30-30 ammo I bought a few boxes there. I bought a diamond sharpening stone there yesterday, decent price.

TXGunNut
09-09-2013, 12:20 AM
I was not even tempted to go see what it was like. I have been in the one in Corsicana a few times and always left unimpressed and empty handed. Figured this one was not going to be any better.

Always wondered about the Corsicana store, always flying low with an open pickup full of hunting gear when I pass it. I wonder what happened to the GM we remember? I guess there just isn't enough money to be made in the stuff we like.

popper
09-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Haven't been to the Denton store in years. Fly tying stuff was reasonable. They have to compete with WW and are close to Texhoma. SIL was looking for a 308MX - they priced it ~$100 more than Carter Country. Too many other good place to go.

Adam10mm
09-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Has anyone else checked out GM and been disappointed?
Yes. I gave up on GM 10 years ago and haven't even parked in one of their parking lots since.

Boyscout
09-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Our north side GM store has fair prices on new guns and a good selection. Used guns prices are high. Reloading is very limited. They had a pound of Winchester 748 for $30. I passed on it even though I could use it. I find fewer and fewer things to buy each time I go. We have Dicks which always has a few things which keep me going back but it's hit or miss. And, I hate hunting down help to read the tags on the guns for me. They are either too far away or turned so that you can't read them. I did buy my .44 Rem Mag Handi-rifle from them last fall and I have been very pleaed with it.

TheDoctor
09-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Our GM in the Richmond/Sugar Land area totally lost my business right before the panic hit. They stopped carrying ALL reloading supplies. Their used gun prices were insane. First place I saw 60.00 a brick .22, just because it had a picture of a dude and an alligator. And after they went to their "new" floor layout, the place was very uncomfortable. The only reason I might ever walk back through their door, is occasionally they have certain 12 ga slugs that are hard for me to find.

TheGrimReaper
09-09-2013, 10:11 AM
The one here in Huntsville,AL is a JOKE!!! Used guns higher than new guns. You can go down the street to Larry's and buy it at least $200.00 less. If I walk in I usually just walk out shaking my head in disgust. I figured they would have been out of business by now to be honest.

Ajax
09-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Gander mountain, sadly is a joke. The only bright spot in my area they re the closest real black powdr supplier i can find.

Andy

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Gees guys y'all are killing my hopes for the "New" enlarged reloading area in the local GM that's being remodeled. I was told they were going to have a larger reloading area after it was done. I knew they would be high priced but had hopes that I could use them as a back up for a item here and there but it's not sounding good.

gbrown
09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
I have been to 2 of the local Walmarts
Other than a few odd rifle shells

All they had was shotgun shells

John

Same, Same in S.E. TX

bleukahuna
09-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I used to deal with the Wilmont store quite bit and it was good, not as good as our pilgramiges to Herter's in Waseca, but good. The management was very active in supporting the second amendment. Unfortunatley, all good things come to an end and Cabela's bought the mail order end and local(to me) company, Holiday sports bought the name. Holiday wasn't the greatest, but where else could you pick up ammo and a bag of groceries at 3:00 am? When the first new GM opened here in the Twin Cities it was rather nice, wide assortment and good prices. But this store, even though they had a fairly decent reloading dept., they didn't sell powder. Didn't bother to check into the local ordinance that chased away several other shops(including Track of the Wolf for you BP types) kinda weird that you could buy bullets, brass and primers, but no powder. Anyway, later stores where full service and things were good for a while and then the clothing line started expanding and the guns got pricier and the reloading tended to disappear. Most trips to GM now are the wife and daughters looking for "cute outfits"

dakotashooter2
09-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I have not bought anything fro Ganger mt since they were strictly mail order. They were a better company back then. They screwed up when they sold their mail order division shortly before the internet took off. They have been trying to play catchup ever since.............

Many of the big sporting goods stores are starting to cater to the yuppie crowd to whom "price is no object". They don't try to wheel and deal like us sportsmen do..............

High Lord Gomer
09-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I have been happy with the Academy Sports in SC and GA. Sportsman's Warehouse is better but not as close.

Augusta has a Cabellas and a Bass Pro Shop scheduled top open in the next year or two.

Swamp Man
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I have been happy with the Academy Sports in SC and GA. Sportsman's Warehouse is better but not as close.

Augusta has a Cabellas and a Bass Pro Shop scheduled top open in the next year or two. We don't have any of those stores you mentioned in this area. I think the closest are around 100 miles from here.

TheDoctor
09-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Gees guys y'all are killing my hopes for the "New" enlarged reloading area in the local GM that's being remodeled. I was told they were going to have a larger reloading area after it was done. I knew they would be high priced but had hopes that I could use them as a back up for a item here and there but it's not sounding good.

Same thing I heard here. They remodeled. The layout became lousy, the prices went up, and the reloading stuff went away! Usually didn't buy primers there unless NO ONE else had em. Normally were $15 a brick higher than anyone else, and that was way before the last panic.

gbrown
09-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Same thing I heard here. They remodeled. The layout became lousy, the prices went up, and the reloading stuff went away! Usually didn't buy primers there unless NO ONE else had em. Normally were $15 a brick higher than anyone else, and that was way before the last panic.

Last time I saw any at GM, primers were 3.99/hundred. No discount for 1,000. $39.99/1000. I just have not seen any in the local store in the past 6 months.

MaryB
09-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Gander Mountain sells to the college preppy hunter and camper who has to have top shelf name brand everything that gets used 3 days a year.

NLS1
09-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Gander MT will never get another dollar of mine if I can help it. In my area it is the place to go if you want to be treated sub par as though you are inconveniencing them to look at the "largest selection of overpriced guns in MN".

Before all the madness, I once asked where they kept the primers. They told me some line about how in blank city they were not allowed to sell things with lead!? Huh? Um how about all the loaded ammunition, batteries, and fishing tackle?!

No one ever knows anything, and they have you stand in line and take a number even when there are more workers than customers.

If I want a big box store shopping event I go to Scheels- best service around! Or cabelas is fine too, but far away, at least they want to help you, or try to and have a good selection.

Gander Mountain is only a too big business, no passion, no knowledge, no respect for the customer IMO. The Walmart of outdoor stores.

Dan

Freischütz
09-13-2013, 08:06 PM
I remember Gander Mountain when the store was in Wilmot (before they built the big one outside of town). They were only supposed to take mail orders, but if you went up to the front door and pushed your order through the mail slot, they'd take it.