PDA

View Full Version : Finally found reloading supplies locally

Swamp Man
09-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Finally found a shop within 35 miles of me that sells reloading supplies other then Gander Mountain. They carry a full line of powders,primers,shot,hulls and presses for shotshells. They are out of a some items due to this madness that's going on but in normal times they have everything I'll need. I called them this morning and will be running down there in the next few weeks. Gander Mountain is in the middle of remodeling and suppose to have a larger reloading area when done but GM prices are high on a lot of items. I will use GM as a back up if the other shop is out of stock on items when I get everything together. Trying to stay away from those crazy hazmat fees and keep Obama out of my business hasn't made this easy for me but I'm getting there.

bikerbeans
09-07-2013, 07:23 PM
The Gouger Mountain near me just completed their retrofit. They have some reloading stuff but I have a better selection than they do. They did seem to raise all their prices a bit, I guess so they can pay the remodeling contractor.

BB

Swamp Man
09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah I'm afraid that's what GM will do here and they were already a bit on the high side.

country gent
09-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Gander Mountain has some of the normal things But thhey also consider mtm cases reloading supplies here. The problem with them is get away from the norm and ask for things and they just look at you like your stupid. I asked for Black Powder 2f grade goex and was shown several of the substitutes and informed it would work in any muzzleloader. Aside from the fact ( I did inform the sales person before hand) Im shooting 45-90 with bore riding paper patched bullets The sales staff dosnt have a clue whats what normally. The LGS is the way to go. They get to know you and are ussually more helpfull with information.But then Ive been spoiled by being friends with the owner of the LGS here for many years.

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Gander Mountain has some of the normal things But thhey also consider mtm cases reloading supplies here. The problem with them is get away from the norm and ask for things and they just look at you like your stupid. I asked for Black Powder 2f grade goex and was shown several of the substitutes and informed it would work in any muzzleloader. Aside from the fact ( I did inform the sales person before hand) Im shooting 45-90 with bore riding paper patched bullets The sales staff dosnt have a clue whats what normally. The LGS is the way to go. They get to know you and are ussually more helpfull with information.But then Ive been spoiled by being friends with the owner of the LGS here for many years.Yeah I plan on buying most everything from the LGS and only use GM when I have to. I'm still looking for other shops that carry reloading supplies but they are few and far between in this area. This will be my first step into reloading and I'll be starting with 410 shotshells. So I will be buying small amounts until I find out what powder,hull,wads and such I prefer. Hopefully by the time all my t's are crossed I'll have a few good shops to buy from picked out. The reason I'm starting with 410 is due to the cost at 14-18 a box for shotshells and $1 plus each for slugs and buck shot the savings with pay me back for the output in no time.

km101
09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Gander Mountain just opened a store near me. I don't think I will be on their "frequent customer" list.
When they opened they had a good supply of all ammo. Within 2 days all the .22lr and most of the 9mm ammo was gone and they had no idea when it would be restocked. And it was HIGH! Most other ammo is still in stock, but at retail + prices!

They do not have ANY reloading supplies. When I asked about the reloading stuff, the only reply was "I don't know." I finally found an asst. mgr. and asked about reloading supplies. His response was "We may have them in a few weeks, I think." This is the first GM store I have ever seen that did not have reloading stuff.

All the guns that I was interested in were priced at MSRP plus some. Probably not going to be my favorite store!

starmac
09-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Didn't a lot of GM stores get out of the reloading dept a year or so ago. I seem to remember some super deals on closeout reloading gear?

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Gander Mountain just opened a store near me. I don't think I will be on their "frequent customer" list.
When they opened they had a good supply of all ammo. Within 2 days all the .22lr and most of the 9mm ammo was gone and they had no idea when it would be restocked. And it was HIGH! Most other ammo is still in stock, but at retail + prices!

They do not have ANY reloading supplies. When I asked about the reloading stuff, the only reply was "I don't know." I finally found an asst. mgr. and asked about reloading supplies. His response was "We may have them in a few weeks, I think." This is the first GM store I have ever seen that did not have reloading stuff.

All the guns that I was interested in were priced at MSRP plus some. Probably not going to be my favorite store!
The GM near me had loads of "OVER PRICED" ammo Thursday but no 22lr. I didn't see any reloading supplies so I asked and was told they were going to have a larger reloading area after their remodel was finished in about two weeks. However the guy I asked didn't seem to know much about anything else I asked him so who knows. I ended up walking out without buying a single thing.

wv109323
09-08-2013, 03:37 PM
The GM in Charleston,WV over the last one or two years has depleted all reloading supplies. They remodeled the store adding to their firearm selection. I did not see any reloading supplies the last time I was in there.

gbrown
09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
We used to have 2 or 3 LGS that had a very large selection of new and used reloading equipment and a large selection of powder and primers. GM came in and bought all of them out, entire inventory. Took their inventory and sent it to some distribution center and put some of the firearms in their local inventory. When that was all gone, it seemed they did not re-order a lot of the reloading equipment and powder & primer prices are very high. The prices they charged for the firearms and stuff, I'm sure they made back their investment 2-1/2 times, and, they eliminated competition. Now we only have 1 LGS within an hour that stocks stuff at a somewhat reasonable price. I drive 90 miles once or twice a year to get my stuff from a dealer at a gunshow.

starmac
09-08-2013, 05:44 PM
gbrown, sounds like you may have a golden oppurtunity thanks to GM.

gbrown
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
gbrown, sounds like you may have a golden oppurtunity thanks to GM.

If you are referring to starting a business in today's economic climate, I appreciate your humor![smilie=l: There are other LGS's around, they just don't have what I would call "somewhat reasonable prices".