PDA

View Full Version : Smelting

gobbles23
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
So I finally got everything in to cast for my .45ACP. I smelted my first batch last night but I have 2 questions.

First- after I skimmed the top and fluxed the top, I kept getting a dull layer on top while using a ladle to pour ingots. Was that oxidation? Did it need to be skimmed off again?

Second- some of my ingots came out frosted looking, was that because the pot was too hot? Also can I still use them?

Thanks for the help guys.

jimb16
09-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about either "issue". They are actually non-issues. They gray film forms very quickly on the molten lead and really doesn't effect anything. Frosting on the ingots just means that the lead is a bit too hot when poured and that is more cosmetic than anything else. Just cast at a slightly lower temp if you want to avoid frosting of bullets, but it really doesn't hurt anything if they do get a touch frosted.

lwknight
09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
The dull layer on top is oxidation. Lowering the pot temp to just hot enough will reduce the oxidation and allow you to cast faster by not overheating the mold. The mold being too hot makes the frosties regardless of pot temperature. Alloy composition also affects temperatures that cause frosting.

Do not continue to skim the pot. You are just tossing tin and antimony.
The oxide layer will stabilize so don't worry about it if you use a bottom pour pot.

Another thing that happens is people getting the molds too hot to compensate for too low pot temp. It can go either way.
Some overheat the pot to compensate the mold temp being too low.
A casting thermometer is a must! So you can figure out where you are

gobbles23
09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the reply. I might of skimmed once after I fluxed. I look forward to casting my first bullet.