PDA

View Full Version : You know you getting senile when......

41 mag fan
09-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Same gun safe for 5 -6 yrs now, maybe 7??? You get into it about 2, 3, 4 maybe more times a week. Haven't been into it for a week, maybe 2 weeks now...sheesh time flys, due to work, and vacation....you go to get into it, and the combo wont work, you cant get it open.
Confused, and a head scratching, you go to work, go to bed, get up this morning on 5 hrs sleep and try the safe combo.
Nothing.
try again....nothing, and again, nothing.
Finally you call liberty safes, give them your combo, they make you switch the last 2 #'s to the combo....
BINGO....safe opens.
Now you feel like a fool...thinking WHAT IN THE.....????
Ever had a senile moment like that and you're only 44 yrs old!!???

My evil wife finds it funny......she's just plain evil!!!

theperfessor
09-06-2013, 12:24 PM
**** happens!

R.M.
09-06-2013, 12:45 PM
It only gets worse, trust me.

pdawg_shooter
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
What were we talking about again ??????

Epd230
09-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I feel your pain. I actually remembered to buy a birthday present for my wife this year, prior to the day before. I hid it in the house so she wouldn't find it.

Big day came, I can't remember where I hid it. Took me three weeks to find it.

She still doesn't believe that I didn't simply forget her birthday!

dbosman
09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
For our fire resistant documents safe, I wrote the safe combination on the safe.

Johnch
09-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Thats why I have the combonation at Dad's house

So if I forget ....again LOL

John

oldred
09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
What the heck are you complaining about? At least you knew where the safe was! :bigsmyl2:

My wife is forever laughing at me losing things and it's gotten to be a joke around here, I can lose something while standing in one spot without moving! :veryconfu

Trey45
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I wrote the combo for my safe on a piece of paper, which is locked up in the safe.

oneokie
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I wrote the combo for my safe on a piece of paper, which is locked up in the safe.

Dood, you telekenetic or have x-ray vision?

Olevern
09-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I have three safes; wrote all three combos on three papers, put one in each safe.

Trey45
09-06-2013, 01:57 PM
dood, you telekenetic or have x-ray vision?

lol !!

Goatwhiskers
09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I love being senile. I can say anything I want and people just say pay no attention to him, he's old and senile. GW

USAFrox
09-06-2013, 02:11 PM
They say that the memory is the second thing to go. Can't remember what the first thing is...

41 mag fan
09-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Well I see i'm not the only one on the senility boat!!
To think my wifes the one with the really bad memory....(I swear she's rubbed off on me....all her fault!!!)

I got a saying around here that keeps me in the doghouse, she'll move it 3 times, and forget where the 3rd time was she moved it.
Sad thing is it's actually true, as I've watched it happen.
Even the kids have seen it and snicker behind her back, when they see her move something.....they used to say when they lived here...that was 1,2, oops 3rd time.....she'll forget where whatever she moved is at now.
But...this is the 2nd time in 2 or 3 yrs I've literally forgotten. Last time was the pin # of 10 yrs we've had to the coop gas we use in our vehicles. I had to text the evil one on what it was!!!

blademasterii
09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniel Just don't kick it.

DeanoBeanCounter
09-06-2013, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lSliucgygc

GaryN
09-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Ronald Reagan said: "If you have Alzheimers look at the bright side. You get to meet new people every day".

nvbirdman
09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I used to have an excellent memory--I think.

Driver man
09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Im afraid it just gets worse as you get older. I think its due to running out of storage room upstairs. Ive developed a system to get me through those lapses and have a small blue book in which i record everything of importance. ie bank account numbers ,log in codes ,pass words ,combination numbers,user names ,etc,etc. I have them listed in a way that make sense to me and i have the book in a handy but secure location that is known only to me and my lawyer. Ive had to use it a few times.

Ramar
09-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I start and end every day like that. SOP
Ramar

km101
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Haven't forgotten the combo to the safe yet, but I forgot the pin # for my bank card yesterday, which is worse! I didn't have any cash and had to ask my wife for money to get out of the store. She is still laughing about it!

bikerbeans
09-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I changed the PIN on my ATM card about a month ago. I am still entering the OLD pin number and then getting mad at the card reader for denying my transaction.:sad:

BB

500MAG
09-06-2013, 09:08 PM
How about rearranging the guns in your gun safe and finding guns you forgot you had? Also, acting all happy like the day you first got it? More than once.

hardy
09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Im afraid it just gets worse as you get older. I think its due to running out of storage room upstairs. Ive developed a system to get me through those lapses and have a small blue book in which i record everything of importance. ie bank account numbers ,log in codes ,pass words ,combination numbers,user names ,etc,etc. I have them listed in a way that make sense to me and i have the book in a handy but secure location that is known only to me and my lawyer. Ive had to use it a few times.

Bin there,done that.Last time I misplaced the book I also forgot who my lawyer was!!!!! LOL Cheers, Mike........I think.

Lance Boyle
09-06-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not all lost in my head yet.....but back in the high school days sometimes I'd have trouble with my combination locks for the main locker and the gym locker mixing up the digits between the two. I ended up disguising them as phone numbers in my address book I kept.

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 09:08 AM
How about rearranging the guns in your gun safe and finding guns you forgot you had? Also, acting all happy like the day you first got it? More than once.

That happens all the time. I keep pistols in soft cases and rifles in gun socks, I go rummaging thru and come across a gun and a "What the....when did I get this"????
I know of at least 4 so far in the last year i've found and wondered where i picked it up at!!

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 09:09 AM

That happens all the time. I keep pistols in soft cases and rifles in gun socks, I go rummaging thru and come across a gun and a "What the....when did I get this"????
I know of at least 4 so far in the last year i've found and wondered where i picked it up at!!

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Senility....I think I just posted twice!!!

Ohio Rusty
09-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I misplace my coffee cup about every morning. I look all over and can't find it so I just get a new cup of coffee. Then later on, I come across it again. Sheesh ..... I'm always doing that. If I don't make a mental note of where I put something or lay something down, I can't find it. You think you are bad at 44 ...this is happening to me at 55 !! Too much busy mind stuff I guess.
At one time I had a mind like a steel trap ... nowadays it's more like a steel sieve !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

gbrown
09-07-2013, 10:31 AM
CRS is a constant companion for me. Lose stuff all the time, its like Christmas everyday! Oh, there it is! Funny stuff. BTW, I link combinations, pins, etc. to dates I will not forget, or that are easy to remember. For example, the safes in my old National Guard Unit were all the middle numbers of people's SS #. If you forgot, you simply got their # off the unit roster. My important #'s are linked to events, like I was born in'47, in 1967 I was 20. 47-67-20, something like that. Pins are birthdates of children or grandchildren, like 9303 or 7173, things like that.

km101
09-08-2013, 06:42 PM
When I took the rear sight assy. off my 629, to put a red dot on it, I very carefully stored the rear sight so I could put it back on one day. That day came about 2 months ago, and I am still looking for the rear sight. I put it away so carefully that I cant find it now.

I'm gonna' have to call S&W to order a new rear sight! As soon as it comes in, I will probably find the original one! CRS is tough.

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Write the combination to your safe on a 3x5 card, put it in an envelope, seal it, and have your best buddy store it in his safe. It is where an inventory of what you have in your house, including photo/video belongs.

USAFrox
09-08-2013, 07:37 PM
At my age, I often find myself thinking of the hereafter. I walk into a room, and immediately wonder, "what am I here after?"

41 mag fan
09-08-2013, 08:06 PM
At my age, I often find myself thinking of the hereafter. I walk into a room, and immediately wonder, "what am I here after?"

I do that in Walmart all the time!!!

DeanWinchester
09-08-2013, 08:08 PM
An older gentleman I know makes a point to remind me everytime i complain of pain or age related difficulties, and while its vulgar, it's very true; Getting old ain't for pu$$!€s, boy.

bosterr
09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I thought MY memory was bad! My 10 years younger than me girl friend lost 2 rings (both diamond) that belonged to her Grandmother. For a whole year she anguished that she accidently threw them in the trash. One day I was moving all the furniture out of the spare bedroom, including the completely empty dresser. I just happened to open a drawer and thought I should throw away the old liner paper. Picked it up and, VIOLA!!! There are the rings!!! She hid them there one day and forgot where. She was so happy that she hugged me, and kissed me, and...

popper
09-09-2013, 01:11 AM
She was so happy that she hugged me, and kissed me, and... You aren't old yet. You ever forget your home phone number cause you never call it? Even worse, your workplace #? Finally started carrying one of those business cards from the box they gave me.

KCSO
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
A couple years ago my Dad's buddy in his eighties wanted to sell some guns so I drove 165 miles to his house to get them. We go down to the safe and he can't get it open. I ask where is the combo, "In the other safe". We go the the other safe and he can't get THAT open. Did you write the numbers down antwhere else, "Yes but I can't remember where". So I leave and come back the next week. I get to the house and his wife answers the door and she says," I don't know whats wrong with that man this is the third time I told him the safe numbers are all written on the calendar next to the safe".

Gliden07
09-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I forget mine all the time!! I ended up writing the number very small in another room behind a chair on some wallpaper!! LOL!!! Now I hope if I ever decide to repaper I remember to write the number down again!! [smilie=l:

USAFrox
09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I had to write mine down as well. Getting old sucks.

WilliamDahl
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
I figure that if I forget something, all I need to do is ask the NSA since they know everything else about us anyway. :(

facetious
09-09-2013, 03:18 PM
When the wife can't find some thing and I have to help in the search I never tell her when I find it , I just put it some place she has all ready looked . Then after a half hour or so i will ask if she has looked there. She will tell me she has all ready looked there. And when I look there , there it is! Now I have her thinking she is losing it.

dakotashooter2
09-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Writing the safe combo down is a good idea...................... until you forget where you put it.........................

Don't feel bad. I often transpose numbers. Some times even repeatedly, even dispite conciously knowing I am doing it.

Sadly I often find things someplace I have already looked multiple times.................. and I have no wife........... but mabe a ghost with a sense of humor.

USAFrox
09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
When the wife can't find some thing and I have to help in the search I never tell her when I find it , I just put it some place she has all ready looked . Then after a half hour or so i will ask if she has looked there. She will tell me she has all ready looked there. And when I look there , there it is! Now I have her thinking she is losing it.

Ha! My wife loses stuff ALL the time, and now I'm going to have to do this...

jeepyj
09-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Funny I should be reading this thread tonight.. I just spent 2hours trying to find a pistol that was my dads before he passed I knew exactly where I put it or did I. The whole time I was looking I was thinking I'm getting to be just like my dad. Well I did find I was in another great hiding place instead.
Jeepyj

Gliden07
09-09-2013, 10:55 PM

Now that's funny!!! :bigsmyl2:

WilliamDahl
09-10-2013, 06:37 AM
I have my safe combination stored in an AES and DES encrypted file along with other private data (account numbers, logon IDs, passwords, etc). I store this on a DVD that also has images of all of my firearms and family digital photos. This is also stored on a web server for backup. As a last ditch backup for the safe combination is a small metal tab that has my safe combination (although slightly obfuscated) engraved on it that is cast into the middle of muffin tin ingot. I have one of these stored with a few more ingots on the top of my safe and another one buried about 18" deep in my yard on one of the corners of my slab, so even if my house was to burn down or be wiped off the face of the planet due to a tornado, the buried ingot would still be there. Before I got into casting, what I used was just to write down the combination on a piece of masking tape that was stuck to the bottom of the tank of one of the commodes in the bathrooms of the house. You could do the same sort of thing on the underside of a door in your house also.

Whatever method you use, I think that you should obfuscate it some particular way so that it is not readily apparent that is what it is. This could consist of:

Adding a certain value to each set of digits based on some numbers that you are unlikely to forget
Converting it to BCD (binary coded decimal)
Converting it to BCD and reversing the bits
Transposing the digits
Subtracting (or adding) each digit from / to a set value (e.g. 10, so that a combination of 12-34-56-78 might be written as 98-76-54-32).
Or basically any simple mathematic manipulation that you can remember.

pdawg_shooter
09-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Before my wife passed away in February, when I needed something put away so it could be found, I let her put it away. Then when I needed it again I would just ask her for it. A few minutes later I would have it in hand. Don't know how she did it but she never failed me.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
.. key!

Ed Barrett
09-10-2013, 03:24 PM
That photographic memory will run out of film some day.