PDA

View Full Version : easy PC

Freightman
09-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I was having a hard time getting the coat right with acetone or lacquer thinner, so after my latest miss adventure to get what I wanted I tried something new to me. I just put the boolits in a plastic freezer bowl and 1 tablespoon of yellow HF PC and shook them around. It worked coated each boolit perfect heated them on a screen 425 for 20 min. then repeated it again, then sized them and the look great and smooth and covered . sorry bad picture I am lousy at pictures.

jmort
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Interesting. Just powder and nothing else? If you are applying it dry and it works, why mess around with a liquid mess?

el34
09-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Did you sit them upright to bake? Whatever you did, what kept the powder from coming off where the boolits made contact with something?

This is intriguing.

Freightman
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
it is a mystery to me also i sit them up the first coat the second just dumped them on the hardware cloth 1/4" and cooked barley stuck

jmort
09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Got to get some Powder by the Pound and some VHT and try this method for the PC and just spraying a couple/three really light coats of VHT. Will "bake" both and see how it goes with a sizer and the hammer test. I bet both methods may work. Could not be more simple. Really good info. Bullet lube forum is my favorite right now. Lots of ideas and testing. Some sharp folks out there. Thanks

Freightman
09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
The only problem is I can't say it eliminated lead as I have never had any leading in all the years I have been casting.

mikeyjones
09-05-2013, 09:19 AM
The only problem is I can't say it eliminated lead as I have never had any leading in all the years I have been casting.

But I assume it eliminates the smoke.

Freightman
09-05-2013, 10:55 AM
yes it does big time

docstodd
09-11-2013, 11:51 AM
the way I have been doing it is simular to your method. I have been trying different spray adhisives to spray the bullets with to get the pc to stick to the bullet. somebody on here mentioned hair spray and so I went and tryed it. right now it is what I like best. I put the bullets in a tray and spray with hair spray roll around a little and spray again. then I let them dry for about thirty seconds and dump them in a tupperware bowl with powder in it. give it a good shake and dump them on a mesh screen to get the excess powder off and then cook at 400 degrees for 15 min then repeat. i have shot these in my ar as fast as I would shoot a jacketed bullet at

popper
09-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Ar-223? Too bad wife!

quiver
09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
What brand of hair spray did you use docstodd? I tried it and it was a disaster, very little of it stuck to the boolit. Now the Elmer's spray adhesive worked great. I still had to use two coats to completely cover the boolit though. I think I'll want to try spray on starch to see if that works as well.

docstodd
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
i used suave max hold hair spray. I have also used the elmers spray adhesive both worked. I think the trick to hair spray is to make sure it drys before dumping it in the powder. i spay the boolits then my finger I then wait until the spray on my finger is dry. if I just dump it in the powder right after I spray it comes out all clumpy and too thick. i like the hair spray better then the adhesive. the bullets with the adesive seam to stick to each other and the tray so are a little harder to work with. I been successful with .223 9mm and 40. I am now going to try this without a gas check in my .223 if that goes well I am going to work up loads for all my rifles

fastglock
09-12-2013, 06:51 PM
i used suave max hold hair spray. I have also used the elmers spray adhesive both worked. I think the trick to hair spray is to make sure it drys before dumping it in the powder. i spay the boolits then my finger I then wait until the spray on my finger is dry. if I just dump it in the powder right after I spray it comes out all clumpy and too thick. i like the hair spray better then the adhesive. the bullets with the adesive seam to stick to each other and the tray so are a little harder to work with. I been successful with .223 9mm and 40. I am now going to try this without a gas check in my .223 if that goes well I am going to work up loads for all my rifles

Pics?

jaysouth
09-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Got to get some Powder by the Pound and some VHT and try this method for the PC and just spraying a couple/three really light coats of VHT. Will "bake" both and see how it goes with a sizer and the hammer test. I bet both methods may work. Could not be more simple. Really good info. Bullet lube forum is my favorite right now. Lots of ideas and testing. Some sharp folks out there. Thanks

Help out the slow, what is VHT? I am using Lacquer thinner and powder by the pound coatings very successfully now, but I am always looking for a better method. Thanks

bangerjim
09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Help out the slow, what is VHT? I am using Lacquer thinner and powder by the pound coatings very successfully now, but I am always looking for a better method. Thanks

VHT is a brand of spray paint/epoxy that is sold by auto supply stores. I have tried the black epoxy and it seems to work but is very expensive compared to gun-applied powder from HF.

The above ideas.......gonna give 'em a try!

bangerjim

jaysouth
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
These folks are a joy to deal with:

www.Powderbuythepound.com

bangerjim
09-12-2013, 11:41 PM
These folks are a joy to deal with:

www.Powderbuythepound.com

But........OMG........the prices! $15 to $23 a pound?

Remember.......this whole thing is to eliminate the need for messy greasy lubes, not win a technicolor presentation award. What ever floats your boat!

HF (for $5.49 -20%)...........here I come.

bangerjim

quiver
09-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tip on judging when the hair spray is ready docstodd. I'll have to try the hair spray again. The spray starch didn't really work well. It needs heat to vaporize the water faster. I think I'll go out to the local craft store and check what they have in spray adhesives. I remember seeing one that allowed what was glued to be moved and reapplied. Sounds like it would work for this.

quiver
09-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Still not having any luck with the hair spray. Perhaps this time I'm letting it dry too much. Given the price of hair spray I really would like to get this to work. Suave just might be better at this than White rain. I'd have to find a can and try it out. Found a can of Krylon Easy Tack at the local craft and hobby store. Much less gooey than the Elmer's spray glue. Considered trying the 3M spray that does the same thing as the Krylon but not for very long at $15 a can. I could buy another pound of powder from Powder buy the Pound for that price! So far I think most of my coating will be using spray glue until I can figure out how to get the hair spray to work.

prickett
09-14-2013, 09:23 PM
I wonder if regular Walmart spray paint would work. At its price, it'd be a great solution.

Echd
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I can't see this being as consistent of a method of application as electrostatic gun.

quiver
09-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Managed to get the hair spray to work for me. Didn't even need to change brands. Coverage in one coat looks better than piglet methood but still needs two applications for complete coverage. I'll need to do a direct coparison set between spray glue and hair spray. I think the spray glue will be more likely to give full coverage in one coat, but I'll need to experiment to be sure.

Freightman
09-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Found out something, I had just tumbled the boolits in the powder had no problem. Then I cast 500 30 cal one day and waited till the next to coat, surprise no luck. Thought about this as had no problem right out of pot still warm. So I put the boolits on a screen and heated in my toaster oven at 200 for 5 min. and while still warm it stuck. well I am through now all coated twice and sized and ready to load.
No I have no idea as to why!

bstone5
09-17-2013, 06:08 PM
I also tried heating the bullets before applying the dry powder coat. Worked well.

I still use the electrostatic gun the most and is the most direct way to apply the powder coat.

I have coated fishing jigs in the past with a type of powder coat that required you heat the jig before dipping in the powder and then heating again to cure the powder coat, a blow dry was used to heat the lead on the fishing jigs this process also worked good. They sell the powder coat for the fishing jigs at the local fishing tackle place.

There are a lot of ways to get the powder coat to stick to the lead before it is cured in the oven. Heating with a heat gun works.

prickett
09-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Do these methods (hairspray, heating, etc) use up more powder than the Piglet method?

quiver
09-18-2013, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't think so. When the hairspray is used it is a thin coat of powder on the bullet. It's probably the closest to what the electrostatic method is like in terms of powder use. Can't say for certain as I never tried the piglet method or electrostatic. Was going to but then I caught wind of using hair spray. I have a lid for the tub I'm tumbling my boolits in so I can save the leftover powder in that for the next use.

hawgfan
09-18-2013, 03:54 AM
I think I might have to try this Powder Coating.

Freightman
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I can do 100 200 gr 30 cal boolits with a tbl spoon full and have enough left to use the second coat, then have a little left to put back in container.

docstodd
09-18-2013, 12:47 PM
i think this method uses less powder then the electrostatic method because you recover everything that is not stuck to the boolit. I have not tried the piglet method so would not know with that method.

docstodd
09-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I have also tried pre-heating i think this method would work. if you can find the right temp. the problem I had was i dumped about 5 heated bullets into the powder and they came out as 5 bullets in a puddle of melted power

Freightman
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
I only heated them to 200 deg for five min. and by the time I dumped them in the powder you could hold them comfortably.
Actually didn't dump them in the powder I put the powder in on them after transferring to the plastic freezer dish.

quiver
09-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Did my experiment compairing between using spray glue vs. hair spray. Results seem to be about the same. Neither one had complete coverage in one coat. Though I do think the hairspray may have had more complete coverage. I used the heat method for applying the second coat. I let the boolits cool a bit from the oven before dropping them into the powder. There also appears to be no diffrence between diameter between spray glue and hairspray method from what I can measure. I need to stop coating so I can start shooting.

docstodd
09-20-2013, 04:53 PM

here is a picture of some boolits that I used hairspray on

orisolo
10-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi GUys,
I just run into this DIY Powder spray gun
Some good tips on the how to apply
http://www.powderperfect.com/ppstoreeastwoodDIY.asp

popper
10-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Orisolo - I looked at that one and read the reviews before I get the HF unit. reviews were not good. I'll stick to the HF unit.

Smoke4320
10-01-2013, 04:11 PM
the eastwood gun is not very good .. hit or miss if you get one that will work and very cheaply made ..
harbor freight gun is much better (yes I really said that.. I cant believe it myself) I have coated well over 1000 bullets so far with the HF gun and still works great

orisolo
10-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Sorry if i mislead on the post.
I meant that this page had good tips on how to actually spray the powder.
I wasn't paying attention to the gun itself

popper
12-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Tried Freightman's method yesterday on some room temp 308s. Took 2 coats to get it done but only a few not completely coated. Takes a lot of shaking, not just swirling, else they just skid around & drive bands don't get coated right. Removed them from the plastic tray with fine tweezers and set upright in the oven on non-stick foil. These are w/o GC for 30/30 plinking. I got to 1300 fps H-T'ing these, trying for 1600 PC'd. After more practice I'll try GC'd and compare accuracy with ES PC'd in the 308. Loaded a bunch of 40SW this morning then looked at the powder can - H335. Oh well, just re-size, which pulls the boolit and dump the powder back in the jug. Should have had that 2nd cup of coffee.