PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Sales

Poygan
10-22-2007, 09:23 PM
I have decided to start selling some of the firearms I don't use. There is a local gunsmith that will accept them on consignment for a 20% commission. He has a shop with guns for sale and also posts some for sale on the net.

I'm looking for input as to whether or not this is a reasonable fee. I believe the local Gander Mtn will offer 70% of retail for trades. Other than that, I'm clueless. I won't put ads in the papers and prefer not to sell at gun shows.

Your thoughts please.

hydraulic
10-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Get a table at a local gun show. You don't need a license to sell your own personal property within the boundaries of your state. Gun shows are a hoot. You'll meet some great people, and some not so great, but you'll get the best price for your guns.

testhop
10-22-2007, 09:43 PM
20% is about right i have been tolded 20 to 35%here in maryland
thay get anywhere form $35 to $50 to handle transfures

testhop
10-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Get a table at a local gun show. You don't need a license to sell your own personal property within the boundaries of your state. Gun shows are a hoot. You'll meet some great people, and some not so great, but you'll get the best price for your guns.

hey wait a second i think that depends on what state you are in you cannot here
in the state of maryland one of the most anti gun state in what uset to be america

Mike C
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Aucton them on Gunbroker.com (Probably what your gunsmith is doing.) Fees are nowhere near 20%, YOU CAN mail them via U.S. Postal service to buyer's local FFL. Let buyer pay the FFL's fee.

On second thought why not offer them here. Buyers here can have them sent to their local FFL?

Scrounger
10-22-2007, 11:36 PM
The advantage (????) of selling them at a gun show is that you are sure to find others you want to buy so you don't have to take any of that horrible money home for your wife to waste on food or household supplies....

danski26
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Poygan

I wanted to work a trade at the Appleton Gander and was sooooorly dissapointed with there offer. Good luck dealing with Gander. I believe they offer 70% of the lowest book value they can find for the gun.

GrizzLeeBear
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Poygan

I believe they offer 70% of the lowest book value they can find for the gun.

That's been my experience at just about any sporting goods store.

Like Mike said, offer them here before taking the hit from the local gun store.

milsurpcollector1970
10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I have sold many guns on gunbroker and its pretty painless. If you have a digital camera and are computer semiliterate its easy.

Im sure any of the members here would be happy to walk you through posting your items.

Just make sure you get an FFL or C&R license for the items

20% comission is pretty steep for doing nothing

JMax
10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I get a table once or twice a year here in CA, probably worse that MD and all firearm transfers are handled by one or two dealers that set up ables at the show to do the legal work allowing those with surplus property to dispose of it properly. With a casting and shooting history I have a LOT of stuff that needs to be taken care of. HO HO HO Happy Great Pumpkin Day

MtGun44
10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Why not offer them here, in the swapping and selling section
and offer 5% or so to the site? Save you a bunch and probably
get them sold nearly as well.

Bill

Scrounger
10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I have sold many guns on gunbroker and its pretty painless. If you have a digital camera and are computer semiliterate its easy.

Im sure any of the members here would be happy to walk you through posting your items.

Just make sure you get an FFL or C&R license for the items

20% comission is pretty steep for doing nothing

Doing nothing? If getting an FFL was so cheap and easy, why doesn't everyone have one? No, my friend, getting an FFL costs big bucks and so does getting a shop, fixtures, insurance, taxes, and other requirements. I use the cheapest FFL I can to receive for me or to sell consignment guns, but I do not begrudge them their commission, they are earning it.

Scrounger
10-23-2007, 01:49 PM
You really can't trade with a gunshop, they buy things a lot cheaper than you do. If your trade in will honestly sell for $400, the most they will allow you is $300 because they want to show a profit on it as wells the one you are trading for. You are always, repeat, always, better off to sell it yourself. I almost never buy new guns, a good used one is always a better deal. And the best place to buy used guns is a pawnshop. They get the guns for 30%-40% of their value, they can sell lower than any dealer will, reason being they are not gun people, they are money people, they don't fall in love with their merchandise.

hydraulic
10-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Testhop: You can't sell your own property in Maryland? Holy Cow! My favorite gun show is a local one near here in January. I share a couple of tables with the County Sheriff. The County Attorney always comes and sits down and tries to sell some his stuff without paying for a table. The local Highway Patrolman (one of my former history students) usually buys something from me and none of us has an FFL. I also manage to get a table at some of the neighboring states, two or three times a year. The way we look at it is that what I do with my property is my own business and nobody elses.

PatMarlin
10-25-2007, 11:25 AM
If you can take good pictures, you'll get TOP dollar on gunbroker.com for very little commission.

I sold 3 rifles there this year for an obscene amount. They were nice though.. :Fire: