PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Feast!

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 05:47 PM
My sister married a Mexican guy a long time ago. She had to learn to cook for him. She lives on the other end of the farm.
She just dropped me off some supper and I am in greasy heaven! Beef skirts, chicken, refried beans, spanish rice, grilled peppers, grilled zucchini(I think), grilled onion, flour and corn tortillas! Oh and that salad stuff with guacamole, tomato and cilantro. I am stuffed but thought I would share with you'all.
J

alg3205
09-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Good Looking Meal, the kind I liked when I lived in El Paso!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
im hungry now looks good

NSB
09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
The first time I traveled to Mexico on business I was concerned about having to eat the food there. I should have been concerned, I got addicted to it. Just can't get enough of it.

Finster101
09-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Yessir, that looks real good. I haven't had supper yet, so guess what I'm going after.

mroliver77
09-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I grew up on a farm. We had and butchered cows. I had never heard of "skirts" before. When I found them they were cheap but man are they tasty! Since more people know of them the price went way up! Bummer.
J

Charley
09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Skirt steak =fajitas.

Big Boomer
09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
What could make a single restaurant meal so memorable that you can recall it 30 years later? And the place? It was 1982 or 1983 at a little wide place in the road on (I think) the Colorado River in Utah called Mexican Hat. My late wife and I were on vacation and had not eaten since we took in the Grand Canyon. We walked into the restaurant hesitantly (it really was not that inviting in terms of looks, but the sign read restaurant). We looked at the menu, but didn't understand it because it was all new to us. I looked across the way and told the waitress "I'll have what that guy over there is having." My wife said she would have the same. Great food with that south-of-the-border flavor that I still remember. Big Boomer

Bad Water Bill
09-04-2013, 08:00 AM
When I was a kid there were 3 pieces of the chicken that were not worth wasting your time chewing on.

One was the part that went over the fence last and the other 2 were the wings.

Now look what happens with a lot of publicity some creativity etc.

Darned stuff we threw out now costs more per # than the best steak.

Next thing will be carefully cut out that puckering ring install a stick of parsley sprinkle on bread crumbs and hot sauce and price them at $2.00 EACH:evil:

By the way mroliver77 what time did you say supper was?:bigsmyl2:

TheGrimReaper
09-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Looks like a plate full of HEAVEN there!!!!

mroliver77
09-04-2013, 01:13 PM
When I was a kid there were 3 pieces of the chicken that were not worth wasting your time chewing on.

Next thing will be carefully cut out that puckering ring install a stick of parsley sprinkle on bread crumbs and hot sauce and price them at $2.00 EACH:evil:

Them really nasty parts are what McNuggets are made of!!

Supper was at 6 PM AND Midnight last night! [smilie=s: Bad Jay

Tonight is spaghetti.

km101
09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
mroliver77, there is nothing better than Good Mexican food, and nothing worse than Bad Mexican food. I am lucky here in the southwest. There are many places close by that I can get good Tex/Mex meals.

That is one reason that I have to take so many pills, but I still enjoy it!

mroliver77
09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
My county is considered the tomato capital of the world. Therefor we have had a lot of migrants. Many stayed and have become part of the people here. So I get lot's of chances to eat Mexican food right at their table! We are a real mixed bag of heritages here and the food is great!
I dont even want to talk about blood pressure. ;)
J

Finster101
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
J are you up around Sandusky and the Heinz plant? I spent a summer working up there a long time ago.

Rick N Bama
09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
The Spanish Rice & Refried Beans are the best thing about Mexican cooking. I still wonder why southern cooks didn't develop them? Throw in a hunk of Cornbread & I'm in heaven!

Rick

DougGuy
09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Oooh yeah!! Nothing like a good churrasco! And if they serve it with some chimichurri? MMMMMmmmmmmm!

Swamp Man
09-04-2013, 06:46 PM

Bill I know what you mean. I had a aunt that said that last part over the fence was her piece of fried chicken no matter what she referred to it as the juice box.LOL I had a uncle that sent his girl and her boyfriend to buy chicken on day to BBQ on the grill talk about a P.O.old man when they returned with #10 of wings. :)

oldgeezershooter
09-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I have been spoiled living in New Mexico and Arizona my whole life, grew up eating it and didn't know there was anything else!
Some of my best recipes came from a Chinese friend who owned a small market, and some of the best Mexican food I have had was from Chinese cooks.

pmeisel
09-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Some of the best Mexican food I have eaten was in Genoa, Oh (OH 163 and OH 51) and in downtown Port Clinton, Ohio near the charter docks. Both my kids and I had school friends whose families originally came to pick, and stayed.

Hickory
09-05-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm gonna have to cook down a hog head and make some tamales.

mroliver77
09-05-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm gonna have to cook down a hog head and make some tamales.

I might be able to leave the house for that Denny. :)
Doc gave me meds to try and I am feeling better. They are soo expensive that we will need something similar but cheaper. Grrr.
J

Char-Gar
09-05-2013, 07:34 AM
I grew up down here on the Border and still live here now. This is soul food for me. I grew up with it and eat it several times a week. In 95% of eating places down here, that is just about all they serve.

Skirt steaks are also called flank steaks in many places. Of course down here it is "fajita". A "faja" is a skirt a woman wears and "ita" is the diminutive. So "fajita" means "little skirt".

This food is not to be confused with food they eat in Mexico. While some of the dish's bear a superficial resemblance to what they cook in Mexico, it is quite different. This is Tex/Mex or Border/Mex and has spread throughout this fine country to the benefit of all concerned.

With so many thousands of refuges from the Mexican violence living in my city (Brownsville, Texas), there have been several eating places opened up recently that serve real Mexican food like the cook in Mexico. I like it also, but many of the Mexican nationals can't make the jump to Tex/Mex and still want home cooking.

Hickory
09-05-2013, 08:20 AM
I might be able to leave the house for that Denny. :)
Doc gave me meds to try and I am feeling better. They are soo expensive that we will need something similar but cheaper. Grrr.
J

I'm gonna have to put the tamales on hold for a long time.
Since posting the above, things in my happy home has changed.
My wife left out of the house for work this morning madder than she has been at me in over 30 years, and crying.

About 3 days ago my wife put her sapphire earrings in a bowl by the sink to soak so she could clean them.
She forgot to tell me about it and left for work. I got a text from her when she got to work, telling me not to do anything with the bowl. That was 3 days ago.
This morning I decided to wash up some dishes and forgot about the earrings.
When I pulled the plug on the sink down the drain they went.

Now, I need to replace the earrings. 25+ years ago I paid over $1500 for them, probably cost 3-4 times that to replace them.

At least a mad woman is better than a woman scorned. But probably not by much.

mroliver77
09-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm gonna have to put the tamales on hold for a long time.
Since posting the above, things in my happy home has changed.
My wife left out of the hose for work this morning madder than she has been at me in over 30 years, and crying.

About 3 days ago my wife put her sapphire earrings in a bowl by the sink to soak so she could clean them.
She forgot to tell me about it and left for work. I got a text from her when she got to work, telling me not to do anything with the bowl. That was 3 days ago.
This morning I decided to wash up some dishes and forgot about the earrings.
When I pulled the plug on the sink down the drain they went.

Now, I need to replace the earrings. 25+ years ago I paid over $1500 for them, probably cost 3-4 times that to replace them.

At least a mad woman is better than a woman scorned. But probably not by much.

Denny they can't have gone too far! Did you pull the trap? I would be digging up the yard if I had to for something that valuable. I will hold your feet while you dive the septic tank if necessary!

mroliver77
09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I grew up down here on the Border and still live here now. This is soul food for me. I grew up with it and eat it several times a week. In 95% of eating places down here, that is just about all they serve.

Skirt steaks are also called flank steaks in many places. Of course down here it is "fajita". A "faja" is a skirt a woman wears and "ita" is the diminutive. So "fajita" means "little skirt".

This food is not to be confused with food they eat in Mexico. While some of the dish's bear a superficial resemblance to what they cook in Mexico, it is quite different. This is Tex/Mex or Border/Mex and has spread throughout this fine country to the benefit of all concerned.

With so many thousands of refuges from the Mexican violence living in my city (Brownsville, Texas), there have been several eating places opened up recently that serve real Mexican food like the cook in Mexico. I like it also, but many of the Mexican nationals can't make the jump to Tex/Mex and still want home cooking.

Thanks for that information Ghar-Gar. I assume that what I am getting is Tex-Mex. Some of the local people came from Texas border and a lot of them are from Mexico. My sisters "friend" is from wayyyy down in Mexico.

I am pretty sure but not positive that we always put the flank into the burger. Live and learn.

Jay

My family has German, English, Welsh, Irish, Mexican and who knows what else. So at a get together we might have tamales, kraut and sausage, Jegs stew and chicken pie all on the same table!

Hickory
09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Yea, I checked the trap.
The sink was full of water and they are Clementines: "Lost and gone for ever."
I'm not about to do any digging or the septic tank thing.

mroliver77
09-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Yea, I checked the trap.
The sink was full of water and they are Clementines: "Lost and gone for ever."
I'm not about to do any digging or the septic tank thing.
You big dummy! :kidding:

Char-Gar
09-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that information Ghar-Gar. I assume that what I am getting is Tex-Mex. Some of the local people came from Texas border and a lot of them are from Mexico. My sisters "friend" is from wayyyy down in Mexico.

I am pretty sure but not positive that we always put the flank into the burger. Live and learn.

Jay

My family has German, English, Welsh, Irish, Mexican and who knows what else. So at a get together we might have tamales, kraut and sausage, Jegs stew and chicken pie all on the same table!

The flank was always a thin and some what tough and chewy piece of meat and was often ground or sold very cheap. Most folks didn't eat it unless it was ground.

The Chinese used it cut up in small strips and stir fried quickly over high heat.

The "Fajita" didn't come from Mexico, but from here in deep South Texas. It was rubbed with garlic, lime juice, salt and paper and grilled on mesquite coal by working men for a quick meal. It cooked quickly because it was thin. When done, it was cut into strips, placed in a tortilla with a little Pico de Gallo and eaten, most often washed down with beer.

Somewhere along the way, it caught on, morphed into all kinds of concoctions and spread all over the US and Mexico. Today, a Fajita is any kind of meat, fowl or fish you can cook, cut into chunks and wrap in a tortilla.

You can get Tex/Mex in Mexico these days where it is called Norteno (northern) cooking.

Mexicans cut meat very differently than the gringos do, most often quite thin. Here were can a number of store that cater solely to the Mexican trade. Several of them are chains (El Globo and La Michoacana) that carry nothing but stuff used in Mexican cooking, and have a meat department that cuts meats Mexican style. I buy my fajitas there. You can get them marinated or not. They have lots of good stuff in these stores and the prices are considerably lower than those of gringo supermarkets.

I have a love/hate relationship with Mexicans and all things Mexican. Some days I think I am a Mexican and others days I detest all things Mexican. I am so conflicted, but such is life down on the Border. We really don't know who we are. :-)

trooperdan
09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Hickory, any homeowners insurance that might help cover the loss?

Hickory
09-06-2013, 06:31 AM

Although I have insurance, I never gave it a thought.
This might be worth a call, and restore my happy home.

Char-Gar
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM

I am sorry for the loss of your wife's jewelry. But it was nothing intentional, just the kind of thing that happens when two people share the same space. I do hope your wife realizes that you and her relationship with you is far more valuable that two earrings.

badbob454
09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
looks good Char-Gar i would love a plate of good tex/mex... i love the spanish rice and beans with melted cheese on it think bean burrito with chop sauce .. mmmmm. my favorite is a soup called posole a pork and hominy soup

Char-Gar
09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
looks good Char-Gar i would love a plate of good tex/mex... i love the spanish rice and beans with melted cheese on it think bean burrito with chop sauce .. mmmmm. my favorite is a soup called posole a pork and hominy soup

I took Whitman the dog to the groomers this morning and as usual stopped by El Sabor de Mi Tierra (The Taste Of My Country) for a plate of Migas con queso blanco, beans, flour tortilla and lots of hot black coffee. Life is good here on the Border today.

I mailed your Pacific ram today...a couple of days late, but in the mail no less.

Bad Water Bill
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Spanish Rice?

Mom made it during WW2. I was a kid then and remember it well.

Unfortunately kids never say "Mom can I have that recipe?"

Now I am hungry but no idea what was in it 70 years ago.

Any suggestions for a hungry OLD man?[smilie=s:

GLL
09-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Char-Gar:

I have worked along the border from California-New Mexico-southwest Texas and never have had two plates of Migas that looked the same ! Every one was outstanding though ! Good stuff ! :)
The most memorable was in a small shack in Hachita, New Mexico. It was served with the very hottest peppers I have ever eaten ! Painful ! ;) ;)

Jerry

badbob454
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I took Whitman the dog to the groomers this morning and as usual stopped by El Sabor de Mi Tierra (The Taste Of My Country) for a plate of Migas con queso blanco, beans, flour tortilla and lots of hot black coffee. Life is good here on the Border today.

I mailed your Pacific ram today...a couple of days late, but in the mail no less.

no hurry i have 3 other presses ,1 lee 1 pacific, and one rock chucker , i wanted this for a reloadable bench for the range . ps i too wish i knew a good spanish rice recipe , tried to make some once .... ewww, guessing just dont work

mroliver77
09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I will ask sister for hers.
J

Char-Gar
09-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Char-Gar:

I have worked along the border from California-New Mexico-southwest Texas and never have had two plates of Migas that looked the same ! Every one was outstanding though ! Good stuff ! :)
The most memorable was in a small shack in Hachita, New Mexico. It was served with the very hottest peppers I have ever eaten ! Painful ! ;) ;)

Jerry

As yes, Hachita New Mexico, down in the boot heel. I have stopped there and eaten, probably in the same shack, a half dozen times. When I lived in Deming, I had a friend with US Customs that from time to time had to go man the border crossing from Mexico at Antelope Wells. Precious little traffic and lots of time to burn. He would get me down there so we could shoot pistols into the desert behind the little Customs and Immigration shack there. There are some pretty lonely and desolate places down there.

GLL
09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
As yes, Hachita New Mexico, down in the boot heel. I have stopped there and eaten, probably in the same shack, a half dozen times. When I lived in Deming, I had a friend with US Customs that from time to time had to go man the border crossing from Mexico at Antelope Wells. Precious little traffic and lots of time to burn. He would get me down there so we could shoot pistols into the desert behind the little Customs and Immigration shack there. There are some pretty lonely and desolate places down there.

I did geological research on the steep eastern flank of the Big Hachet Mountains north of Antelope Wells during the 60's. Over a four week period I packed over a thousand pounds of limestone samples off that rugged peak 50 pounds at a time. I ran into some not-so-nice men traveling north through that range and valley and they were not coming looking for work either ! I was always very careful to avoid close contact even though I carried a Ruger .44Magnum. I love the high mountains of New Mexico and western Texas but it is very rough and desolate country. I am now too old to get into those areas anymore ! :( Carrying heavy loads of limestone has taken its toll !

Jerry

MT Gianni
09-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I have done some traveling in Mexico and find that the closer to the US border the hotter the food gets. I really enjoy Chile Rellenos and Chayote squash, pair that up with some fish tacos and I am happy.
That is a great looking plate of food, MROliver.

Char-Gar
09-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I have done some traveling in Mexico and find that the closer to the US border the hotter the food gets. I really enjoy Chile Rellenos and Chayote squash, pair that up with some fish tacos and I am happy.
That is a great looking plate of food, MROliver.

Fish tacos! Get a rope!

MT Gianni
09-08-2013, 12:53 AM
It's great street food on the Pacific coast of Mexico, if that isn't Mexican I don't know what is.

Char-Gar
09-08-2013, 04:49 AM
It's great street food on the Pacific coast of Mexico, if that isn't Mexican I don't know what is.

Didn't say it wasn't Mexican, just think it is gross, but I don't like fish. I ate some fried agave worm tacos once in Mexico, and they were gross also.