PDA

View Full Version : RESULTS of 45-70 300Gr GC... Pc'ed.. NO GC.. at 1583 FPS

Smoke4320
09-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Just wanted the doubters to see some results I have been able to get using Powdercoat on a gas check bullet without a gas check.
as stated this is a Marlin 45-70 lever action.
You can see there is no loss of powdercoat on the base and almost none on the rifling
I have had similar results with a 458 socom and a 308 using a Mil hec 312-159 at Chronoed at 1903 FPS... No loss at all of the powdercoat on the base and excellent accuracy.
I was finally able to catch some in a sand trap to take pics .
The 308's were so close together they kind of mangled each other.. I found at least 4 projectiles and bases were still coated as were the sides
There is NO leading or buildup of any kind in the barrels.

btroj
09-03-2013, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't call myself a doubter- more of a cautious skeptic.

I want to see the results accuracy wise at 100 yards with decent velocity before I jump in with both feet. I know what traditional lubes can do, I need to see the correct results before I make a major change.

Smoke4320
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
300 blackout... Mil hec 312-159 ...200 yds.. 5 shots ..2 in same spot bottom left..
I am not trying to convince anyone to change .. just showing some results I have been able to achieve
hoping to push development along. Hoping my successes will spur others to run with experiments and discover even better results

btroj
09-03-2013, 11:16 AM
That is what I want to see.
How accurate?
How fast?
What kind of pressures?

If this stuff is as capable as it looks like it might be then I see a sea change in cast bullet "lubrication" coming.

Keep the results coming. I have some bullets heading to a couple guys for coating. One with powder coat, one with the epoxy type mix.

Like they say, seeing is believing.

popper
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Been a believer after firing my first coated in 40SW. Now I'm up to chronyed 2240 fps 1" @ 50 GC 165 in 308 LR-308 carbine. Upped the load to max H335 and the groups opened up a bit @ 100. Next test is leaving the GC off with a little harder alloy. Thanks for the pics Smoke, I can't recover any but that does tell me even the cheap HF red powder should work.
Btroj - you will like it after you try it. Cleaned the 40 this morning, haven't fired it in > month, prob >200 PC rnds. Tight wet patch & dry patch - sparkly bbl & I'm done. Got a full peanut jug of PC coated to shoot up, then I'll switch to the H-T coating as it's easier to do large volume, but so far pistol only.

geargnasher
09-03-2013, 11:23 PM
If this method will hold up to the requirements outlined in the Quest thread, stand 3K fps in a .22, 2600 in a .30, and maintain 1 MOA or less out to 300 yards in a well-made rifle, stick a fork in me, 'cuz I'm done fooling with lube.

What we want to see is two, consecutive five-shot groups fired at 100 yards from a cold, clean barrel, then repeated at least 24 hours later without touching the bore. Repeat the same 20 shots at ambient of 100+ degrees, 50-70, and again below freezing. If the first cold shot, POI, and group size hold up we may have a winner.

Gear

Lead Fred
09-04-2013, 12:17 AM
@1750fps, the 405 plain base boolits go though everything

lil buggers are really hard to find, they just keep going, and going, and going....

popper
09-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Gear - this is my test rifle, might try the longer upper later. DPMS makes a good floated bbl but it's not a top line AR, trigger is timmeny. I don't think I can get to 2600 with the 1:10 twist, have chrony'd to 2240.
Mould selection was based on fitting the 168 Amax profile and a Fn/GC. Amax is reportedly the best shooting non-target bullet for this type rifle. Not sure I can classify myself as even an average Joe shooter or reloader ( convinced myself I am getting better). Cold dirty bore 70-100F, no 1st shot miss, groups as good as I can get with the Amax or normal lube cast. My point is that it works to the best of my ability, in an average rifle, average shooter, no special boolit design, just guessed at a load, using cheap HF powder. In other words, for the average guy it just works. I think Btroj is getting ready to test some, I'd be happy to coat some of yours for you to test. Not raining on your lube testing thread, I'm just not good enough to test this stuff to it's limit.

Mike Hughes
09-04-2013, 12:11 PM
If this method will hold up to the requirements outlined in the Quest thread, stand 3K fps in a .22, 2600 in a .30, and maintain 1 MOA or less out to 300 yards in a well-made rifle, stick a fork in me, 'cuz I'm done fooling with lube.

What we want to see is two, consecutive five-shot groups fired at 100 yards from a cold, clean barrel, then repeated at least 24 hours later without touching the bore. Repeat the same 20 shots at ambient of 100+ degrees, 50-70, and again below freezing. If the first cold shot, POI, and group size hold up we may have a winner.

Gear

Gear, You sure don't ask for much :kidding:

I know you are very meticulous and strive for perfection. Would love to see you come aboard with the PC. I think we would all benefit from your knowledge! I am just getting started with the PC, but seems like there is real potential

Smoke4320
09-04-2013, 12:44 PM
This morning I was able to push a 1896 6.5 Swede to 1966 FPS with acceptable group (approx 3/4" at 50 yds) . recovered 2 bullets..no burnoff of the base
at 2077 groups started to open up..
This was with no fine tuning at all of the loads..
As soon as I get more time I will try to repeat the results and post some pics
Loads started at 13 Grns of 2400 and ended at 18 Grns.
Groups at 13, 14 and 15 were almost identical sized..16 opened at little. 17 came back together and 18 opened back up
I fired 3 rds of each with 1 grain increments.. ( went with 1 grain increments because I was well below any max loadings and wanted to get a wide range of results quickly) I did not weight each bullet as I expected to be all over the place..
There was no over pressure signs and almost no powder burns on the necks..
Mold was a NOE 269-145-FN Pc'd with HF red and sized to .266
Frankly I was quite surprised with the results after seeing some of the posts here about 6.5 loadings but again this is a prelim report
as said before I will try to get more groups (at 17 and probably 17.5) as time permits and post targets.. This Time I will weight bullets within .3 Grains ..

geargnasher
09-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Smoke, try sizing that Swede to .268 and see how she does. You're doing good far.

Popper, what's good enough is up to the individual, sounds like you have it worked out.

Mike, I only mentioned those things because there are conventional lubes that fulfill all of the requirements I laid out except for cold-start flyers and meeting the full temperature range some of us encounter throughout the year in one location. We're trying to develop a lube that meets certain, specific criteria that we laid out over a year ago, so that standard is fresh on my mind when considering any suitable replacement 'lube'. In the last 10 days or so I've seen several members post their results with rifles, so I'm keenly watching to see if this may have merit enough to try. I'm not going to mess with it just for pistols and low-velocity stuff, I have that well-covered with a grease-type conventional lube.

Gear

Smoke4320
09-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Smoke, try sizing that Swede to .268 and see how she does. You're doing good far.

Wish I could.. only have a 266 push thru sizer .. So far out of 4 rifles/calibers I have not seen a cold bore shot be any different POI..we will see if That changes as the temps drop this fall/winter..
Usually do not shoot any in the morning have a business to run .. but wife left at 6:00 AM for a trip and it was 67 degrees and low humidity for the first time all summer.. Just had too..
I do not get a lot of time to shoot so have to make the most of it I can..

Russel Nash
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Think of what this would do to the swaging related equipment market???

I am not sold on the Hi-Tek stuff because it appears to be a coat and bake 3 times thing.

Smoke4320
09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
theres room enough for both.. even all methods .. to each his own... if you like to do it one way so be it..
I am just reporting what is working for me .. hoping some others with more time than me can expand the method and find out even better results so we all benefit

Russel Nash
09-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. Yeah, there is room for both, I was just thinking out loud on the harsh economic realities. If you are already financially invested in a dedicated swaging press and dies, then you might want to stick with what ya got.

On the other hand, if you haven't bought into anything yet, a $25 toaster oven and a $50 powder coating gun seems to be the cheaper option. I think.

popper
09-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Gear - your requirements are easily justifiable. I just don't have the talent to bother attempting. PC needs testing by someone with the skills to find it's limits. I'd be happy if it gives 30 cal. 1 MOA @ 200, 2400 fps. I can't do that with j-word --yet.

Russel Nash
09-04-2013, 06:14 PM
At what point does it switch over from a test of just the powder coated boolit???

Versus, a test of the gun/barrel, optic, rest, shooter, or

All of the above???