PDA

View Full Version : What I found today

shaper
09-02-2013, 08:48 PM
A neighbor came by today and ask me if I would go with him to a house that is going to be torn down. The owner was killed in a car wreck and the kin want nothing to do with the old shack of a house. The neighbor had been taking care of the place for a couple of years. The instructions are, we can keep anything we find in the house. We already know there are hundreds of books in the house so I was ready to go. I'm going to tell you what I brought home so stay with me untill the end, you're going to love it.
Keep in mind the house has had no doors for over 2 years, and many visitors, invited or not.
My wife is interested in medical home remedies so I brought her a couple of those plus a book on the past presidents, and some dishes and glasses, she's happy with my choices.
For myself I found two large books on bee keeping, a radio amateur's License Manual, a official CB radio dictionary, everyone needs one of those. Then there are the do it yourself books and some car manuals. Now for the gun stuff. a 32 page Marlin Sporting Firearms 1974 catalog, along with a 48 page Remington Dupont 1974 Sporting Firearms & ammunition catalog. a 8 page Hercules Smokless Powder Guide- lots of good information in this thing. Next is a 1969 first complete edition Lyman shotshell handbook. I already have three Texan loaders but have not been able to use them because I don't have the proper information on which die and bushing to use, so I was very happy to find a Texan Loadmaster instruction pamphlet with all the information I need to get mine in operation. I'm a happy camper. Then it happened,,, I walked into the closet. The stinch level was high. holes in the floor and roof, everything thrown all over the place. I'm thinking I'll be snake bit before I can get out of this place. There was a pile of clothes about two feet high so I had to throw it out to get in the small closet. Down near the bottom of the pile I picked up a sweater, it was too heavy for a sweater, I opened it up and saw camo, It was a pistol cary case, I pulled the zipper open and there it was. a Ruger GP100 357 stainless steel revolver.
I'm thinking, how can I get this in the truck without my neighbor seeing it. But, I called him over and put it in his hand. Turns out he had been looking for it for several months and was about ready to stop because the house is to be torn down next week. As much as I wanted to keep it, he is the one with permission to be there, not me. So I gave it to him. At least I had the fortune of making a great find. The neighbor is a good man that lost his job and is mowing lawns to make ends meet, I don't feel bad about giving it to him.
We may go back tomorrow because the neighbor said there should be a 38 special also.

s mac
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
You did the right thing, what goes around comes around.

John Allen
09-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Shaper, I would be tearing that house down by hand to find that other gun buddy.

jcwit
09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Very good, you will end up being rewarded I'm sure.

00buck
09-02-2013, 09:18 PM
You did the right thing :) You are a real man

Superfly
09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
I hate to say it but no good deed goes unpunished For me. It always seems to happen that way for me. Hopefully not for you.

mroliver77
09-02-2013, 10:39 PM
I am proud to know you! Like the cartoon with the Devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other!
J

richhodg66
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
When they tear down the house, see if you can salvage any lead pipe or roofing lead.

Good on you with the revolver. That was the right thing to do.

CLAYPOOL
09-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Some times it hard to be a "MAN".

Bzcraig
09-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Good choice Shaper. It is never wrong to do the right thing. You gained what you did not previously have, made the wifey happy and blessed your neighbor in a big way. I say it again, job well done Sir!

LUBEDUDE
09-03-2013, 03:13 AM
You're a good man!

380AUTO
09-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Hat off to you shaper

Sprue
09-03-2013, 03:55 AM
....bet you're still slobbering..........good on you!

Sprue
09-03-2013, 04:01 AM
A neighbor came by today and ask me if I would go with him to a house that is going to be torn down. The owner was killed in a car wreck and the kin want nothing to do with the old shack of a house. The neighbor had been taking care of the place for a couple of years. The instructions are, we can keep anything we find in the house. We already know there are hundreds of books in the house so I was ready to go. I'm going to tell you what I brought home so stay with me untill the end, you're going to love it.
Keep in mind the house has had no doors for over 2 years, and many visitors, invited or not.
My wife is interested in medical home remedies so I brought her a couple of those plus a book on the past presidents, and some dishes and glasses, she's happy with my choices.
For myself I found two large books on bee keeping,[b] a radio amateur's License Manual, a official CB radio dictionary, everyone needs one of those. Then there are the do it yourself books and some car manuals. Now for the gun stuff. a 32 page Marlin Sporting Firearms 1974 catalog, along with a 48 page Remington Dupont 1974 Sporting Firearms & ammunition catalog. a 8 page Hercules Smokless Powder Guide- lots of good information in this thing. Next is a 1969 first complete edition Lyman shotshell handbook. I already have three Texan loaders but have not been able to use them because I don't have the proper information on which die and bushing to use, so I was very happy to find a Texan Loadmaster instruction pamphlet with all the information I need to get mine in operation. I'm a happy camper. Then it happened,,, I walked into the closet. The stinch level was high. holes in the floor and roof, everything thrown all over the place. I'm thinking I'll be snake bit before I can get out of this place. There was a pile of clothes about two feet high so I had to throw it out to get in the small closet. Down near the bottom of the pile I picked up a sweater, it was too heavy for a sweater, I opened it up and saw camo, It was a pistol cary case, I pulled the zipper open and there it was. a Ruger GP100 357 stainless steel revolver.
I'm thinking, how can I get this in the truck without my neighbor seeing it. But, I called him over and put it in his hand. Turns out he had been looking for it for several months and was about ready to stop because the house is to be torn down next week. As much as I wanted to keep it, he is the one with permission to be there, not me. So I gave it to him. At least I had the fortune of making a great find. The neighbor is a good man that lost his job and is mowing lawns to make ends meet, I don't feel bad about giving it to him.
We may go back tomorrow because the neighbor said there should be a 38 special also.

.....yer right

shaper
09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
In my haste to tell about the pistol, I forgot to mention we found the empty boxes for an SKS and another long gun.
I don't hold much hope to find the 38. I dont plan to go back today, last night while eating some cantalope one of my crowns fell out. Well, it was more like the whole tooth/ I'm in a bit of pain and need to get the the dentist very soon.

Ehaver
09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
You did good, a whole lot more good then a lot of people would do these days. Look for no reward for your deed. It will come back to you in the end. Doing good creates good.

gnoahhh
09-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Good on you.

I found an old S&W .32, not at all rusty, in the wall of a house I was helping to demo one time, years ago. I called the owner over to show him and he said "Eeww, a gun. Get rid of it quick. So I did, under my car seat.

SSGOldfart
09-03-2013, 02:50 PM
yes Sir hat's off to you for doing the right thing, may he would sell you the GP100 at a good price seeing how his out of work

shaper
09-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I felt well enough to go outside today. The neighbor and I wewnt back to the old house. In the attic I found a large quantity of old radio tubes which I will send to a friend that has over 300 old radios. I also brought home three books. 1. From Edmund Scientific a book on building your own telescope.
2. Radio operators Q&A manual
3. 8th edition of Handloaders Digest edited by John T. Amber. It looks like it is a reprint from a copyright 1928. But I did find a Federal ammo price list in it from 1978. a box of 38 spl. was $9.85.
We didn't find the 38 but he let me shoot the 357.

Frank46
09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
You did what was right. I always says that karma can come back to bit you from many unexpected ways. Frank

jeepyj
09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
If that's the kind of person you are over time you'll receive rewards that will far outweigh that Ruger!!! Nice job
Jeepyj