I never new this

God bless them all
We will remember them

jcwit
09-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Never knew this, quite a tribute.

Rick Hodges
09-02-2013, 07:45 PM
My neighbor's father was a Marine on Guadalcanal in '42. He came home after the war, raised a family and when he died....he asked to be cremated and returned to the island. He wanted to spend eternity with his fallen brothers. The Navy, and Marine Corp. maintain the cemetery there. His wishes were honored. This was about 6 years ago.

beagle
09-02-2013, 07:49 PM
A lot of mystery surrounds the Arizona memorial still. In a fenced in, obscure compound on a military installation in Hawaii lies a pretty significant amount of scrap metal. It has been there since the war and occasionally a small amount will be quietly removed for various historical reasons. It's scrap metal removed from the Arizona and kept over the years under government control for some unknown reason and not disposed of as scrap metal.

You'll not find it listed anywhere. I was told by an old ship repair guy when I was stationed in Hawaii and the compound was pointed out to me and I've seen the scrap metal./beagle

mroliver77
09-02-2013, 10:51 PM
I think there are photos the Dad took of Pearl Harbor as he was steaming through. Everything was still a pile but I am not sure of the date as he was there WW2 and went back for Korea.
We never looked much at his keepsakes and I have his box but still feel weird about exploring it.
J

leeggen
09-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Beagle, I beleive that all the metal was kept cause the Arizona was a memorial to all that died, so as the metal needed to be removed for safety reasons, it was stored. It would be like taking part of a bariel stone and removing it to make rocks out of. Just not an honorable thing to do.
CD (U.S.N. 70 - 74)

Moonie
09-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I saw this a few years ago, great story.

Gliden07
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Very interesting I didn't know this even took place! Thank you for this information.

w5pv
09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
God bless our all of our war heroes,each and ever one was a hero that need to have the respect shown that they deserve.They are the one's that gives us freedoms that we have not the politicians.

Three44s
09-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that link to a very touching story. I have been to the monument and it really stirs up emotion.

Three 44s

41 mag fan
09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
WOW....thats an honor and bond that breaches all of mankinds thoughts and perceptions, when an individual would prefer to be with his shipmates who lost their lives than buried beside their loved ones.

I hope that sounds right what I'm meaning.

MrWolf
09-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Thank you for sharing that - I never knew

300savage
09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that.

DCP
09-05-2013, 07:28 AM
WOW....thats an honor and bond that breaches all of mankinds thoughts and perceptions, when an individual would prefer to be with his shipmates who lost their lives than buried beside their loved ones.

I hope that sounds right what I'm meaning.

Truly a Band of Brothers