PDA

View Full Version : 38 + P in colt trooper?

44minimum
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
My nephew just inherited his first pistol, a colt trooper carried by his great granddad on duty as a cop for many years. Mechanically, it's in good shape, just honest wear from daily carry. It is chambered in 38 special and I have found out that this model apparently was also chambered in 357 magnum. Therefore I assume that this gun should handle a steady diet of 38 + P. Can anyone second my opinion or point out any errors in my logic? I'd like to find out before we load any ammo for it.

onceabull
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
44minimum: when the local P.D.converted to officer owned handguns in about 1970, the departments revolvers were sold AT PUBLIC AUCTION.!!!! (oh,to see that happen nowadays) .All were Colts,either Detective Special,Cobras,or the 4" Original Troopers(all 38 Spec.)Over the course of the two auction events,I bought 8 of the Troopers. On three of those,I replaced the cylinders with OEM 357 Mags,left original barrels on two of those,and have shot them regularly ever since. Also shot a small pickup load of the "top end"38 special loads from the infamous Speer # 8 Manual,in the 38 Special cylindered guns,and believe me, those loads make the current 38 Sp.+ power stuff look like the junior varsity team. enjoy....:) Onceabull

Char-Gar
10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Here are my thoughts...

1) There are two different sixguns Colt marketed as "Troopers".

The first was a 4" version of the old model Officers's Model Match in 38 Special. A couple of years later, the same revolver was offered in .357 Magnum.

The difference was more than just the depth of the cylinder charge holes. The frames had different model designations to indicate the difference between the "magnum" and "special" frames. The magnum frames had different heat treatment and the firing pin was located in the frame. The fireing pin of the special models was mounted on the hammer.

The heat treatment on the "Special" and "Magnum" cylinders was also different.

The second "Trooper" was the Mark III, which was an entirely different handgun and it too was offered in 38 Special and .357 Magnum.

2) The Old Model (First) Trooper was built on the Colt "41 Frame" which was the same frame as the Official Police and later the Python. It is a beefey critter.

3) Now to your question. Either of the Colt Troopers in 38 Special will handle a good diet of +P loads. You don't want to mess with the 34-44 Heavy Duty loads in these pistols.

4) Recoil...any recoil, is one of the major factors that determine the service life of any sixgun. Your Trooper will last longer with target loads, than service loads. It will also last longer with service loads than +P loads.

Your pistol ...your choice

5) I think these Old Model Troopers are some of the finest sixguns every made. I have a 1954 vintage Trooper in 38 Special and it is one fine sixgun.

mag_01
10-24-2007, 01:45 PM
FWIW --- I shoot a +P+ load in 38 spec. in a colt python --- feels like a light 357 load and is right on the money a tack driver out of my 4 in barrel --- No signs of pressure with this load. --------- Mag_01

Char-Gar
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
FWIW --- I shoot a +P+ load in 38 spec. in a colt python --- feels like a light 357 load and is right on the money a tack driver out of my 4 in barrel --- No signs of pressure with this load. --------- Mag_01

There should be no need to say this, but there are folks reading this who may not know the Python and the Trooper are not the same revolvers. While same is size, they differ in the steel and the heat treament of the steel. What is safe in Python is no indication of what is safe in a 38 Special Trooper. The 357 Trooper and the Phython would be equal in strength, but not the 28 Special version of the Trooper.

44minimum
10-24-2007, 10:26 PM
i'll hafta look at it more closely next time i see him. it needs a rear sight blade also

mag_01
10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
There should be no need to say this, but there are folks reading this who may not know the Python and the Trooper are not the same revolvers. While same is size, they differ in the steel and the heat treament of the steel. What is safe in Python is no indication of what is safe in a 38 Special Trooper. The 357 Trooper and the Phython would be equal in strength, but not the 28 Special version of the Trooper.

I believe you hit on the reason the "Python" was mentioned and the load was not given.

onceabull
10-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Chargar: Thanks for the info posted re: details on the "Old" aka " First Model",Colt troopers. With your info jogging the memory cells,I dug out the three I have left to check on some of the details you noted..You will recall these were all purchased from P.D.liquidation with 38 sp.cylinders and barrel markings. At least one had the hammer mounted firing pin.Knowing that because the firing pin was broken off. The three still here have the same FRAME MOUNTED fp's that were there at the time of purchase,Serial #'s are all in the range 392xx-807xx. I am unable to find any markings on these three that could identify one or more as having the different heat treatment given the 357 Mag.frames. FWIW,the 357 cylinders were purchased directly from Colt and installed by the nearest Colt factory authorized repair station of that era... ??? :roll: Onceabull