PDA

View Full Version : Keepsakes & cherished possessions

Jim
09-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Pullin' stuff out of cabinets to move into the new gunroom, I ran across something that means a lot to me. I thought "I need to share this story with the guys."

My mother has a sister that's affectionately known in the family as 'Aunt Betty'. Aunt Betty's husband, Uncle Bob, died many years ago from failing health. A few years later, Aunt Betty started seeing a fine gentleman that became known as 'Uncle Roy'.

Uncle Roy was a vet and served in the Marines in the Pacific theatre during WWII. When I found out about that, I started asking him about his experiences. I would sit for hours on the patio with him and listen to his war stories.

He called me one day. "I want you to come over to Betty's house this afternoon. I want to talk with you." "Yes Sir."

I met him and as usual, we retired to the patio. He began telling me a story I had not heard before. I don't know that I can quote him verbatim as it's been a long time, but in light of that, I'll reconstruct it the best I can.

"I was with the first wave that landed on Iwo Jima. Me and my sqaud were at one end of the assault wave. Just a few minutes after we made the beach, a Japanese machine gun opened up on us. I lost two men before we could hit the sand. They had us pinned behind a dune and if we had tried to charge the beach, it would have been suicide for all of us.

The dune ran down the beach to the right a good ways. I figured I could get down the beach using the dune for cover and I might could work my way up behind them. I took a man with me and told the rest of the men to keep the machine gun nest occupied.

When we got to the end of the dune, we saw that there was enough cover to get up behind a dune behind the machine gun nest. We worked our way up and then back to the left and finally got real close behind the Japs. I signalled to the other guy to shoot the gunner and belt man when I gave him the signal. I pulled out my knife and crawled up real easy. I jumped up, grabbed the officer by the front of his helmet, snatched his head back and cut his throat. My buddy shot the gunner and belt man in the back with his 45."

Uncle Roy stopped talking. He reached around behind him and pulled out something. "Here, I want you to have this. You're the only sonofabitch in the family that will appreciate it."

This is what he handed me.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/dscn2174-e1378150829479.jpg

It's outright overpowering to hold this knife in my hands. Uncle Roy is no longer with us in body. But, as long as I'm alive, he will be.

R.M.
09-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Awesome, just plain awesome. Quite a treasure.

btroj
09-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I got nothing on that. Nothing.

That Jim, is something that needs to be kept in the family

Wayne Smith
09-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Not only kept in the family, Jim. Write that story down and sign it. As best you can date when he told you. Print it out on nice paper and keep it with the knife.

btroj
09-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Great idea Wayne

41 mag fan
09-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes that is a great idea....the story behind the knife on paper.
Very neat story that keeps you riveted to read to the end Jim.

Big Boomer
09-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Your "Uncle Roy" was a real man and a real hero. What a story and what a keepsake. Big Boomer

Rick Hodges
09-02-2013, 06:16 PM
That is a priceless heirloom and witness to history. Preserve it and the story carefully so that following generations may learn. You are lucky Jim, you should be honored that he trusted you with the story and the knife.
My father also fought in the S. Pacific...Navy, his ship torpedoed out from under him.....I could never get him to talk about it (he died when I was 13) but I overheard him talking to my uncle. I envy you.

shooter93
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Very nice Jim, things like that truly matter and should be passed down. I have Pop's uniform, his medals, paperwork, newdpaper articles written about him when he got home and the slug and part of his flak vest that got hit. Sadly though I'm the only one in the family that cares about that stuff and we never had children. There is a war museum here though which I think I'll donate it all too when my time comes....I know they would love to have it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
a heck of a story

nagantguy
09-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Help of a story, reminds us of the days when men were men. Keep it in the family and cherish it forever.

Ramar
09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Jim, I've got a tear...
Ramar

foesgth
09-02-2013, 07:01 PM
My father fought through 4 years in the Pacific Theater. He joined as enlisted in 1941 and came out as a Captain. He went up with General MacArthur, through Fiji up to the Philippines and was on the beach when the famous Tin Can Sailors fought off the Japanese battleships. I have his M1 carbine, web belt, and other gear including dangerous 15 round magazines. If the current crop of laws pass in California I will be required to turn them over to the State for destruction. We have come a long way my friends.

Echo
09-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Outstanding, Jim. Maybe in a frame, with the narrative, under glass, in a special place - I would salute it...

gray wolf
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Great story Jim

Artful
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Jim, I've got a tear...
Ramar

Me Too - RIP Uncle Roy

starmac
09-02-2013, 08:35 PM
My father fought through 4 years in the Pacific Theater. He joined as enlisted in 1941 and came out as a Captain. He went up with General MacArthur, through Fiji up to the Philippines and was on the beach when the famous Tin Can Sailors fought off the Japanese battleships. I have his M1 carbine, web belt, and other gear including dangerous 15 round magazines. If the current crop of laws pass in California I will be required to turn them over to the State for destruction. We have come a long way my friends.

I have to ask, do the authorities know you have them??? There is no way I would turn them, I'm pretty sure I could come up with something, maybe even legal. lol

mroliver77
09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I have to ask, do the authorities know you have them???

They do now! :kidding:

Gliden07
09-02-2013, 10:32 PM
That is a GREAT story and your Uncle was a GREAT MAN!! I really like reading your stories glad your back!

Bad Water Bill
09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Send those puppies to me. They will rest with honor in a nice walnut display box along with your story.

By return mail I will send pretty little 10 round magazines so you can keep exercising DADS CARBINE in his memory.

Bo1
09-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Awesome story Jim, and a very nice knife to remember uncle Roy's great contribution to this nation..

Bloodman14
09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Semper Fi! And a big HOORAH!! from an Army guy.

Bzcraig
09-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Jim, that is a priceless piece a history you were honored to receive. As already suggested document as best you can.

Foesgth - if the laws pass, get outta Dodge or give to family out of state or I'm thinking Starmac would be happy to keep them safe for ya.

CLAYPOOL
09-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Move to Missouri or some where else..! Earth Quake going to get them any way.

David2011
09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Wow, awesome story. My Dad distrubuted shadow boxes of his brother's WWII ribbons and awards to my brother, sister and me. It means more to me than my Garand. He had 3 ships sink out from under him and died in 1946 so we never knew him yet the memorabelia is treasured. It doesn't hold a candle to that story.

Time to read the novel "Molon Labe."

David

shdwlkr
09-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Jim
You have a piece of American History and our struggle to remain a nation of FREE people.
Far to many go their final rest and never talk about what they endured, accomplished or saw during their time in war which for many was a living hell and for so many more it will remain such until they leave this earth.

Freightman
09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
I have the exact same knife it was dads, I need to build a case for it and type up the story behind it. I fondle it every once in a while to hear dad tell the story.

gnoahhh
09-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Y'all are right on with those sentiments. I too have some souvenirs that older family members passed on to me- a canteen and haversack that my uncle carried through N.Africa, Sicily, Normandy, etc. (1st Inf Div), and the Walther PP he 'liberated' in the Huertgen Forest. I shudder to think what will happen to the stuff when I'm gone.

smoked turkey
09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Jim this is a powerful story that brought tears to my eyes as I rolled up the picture of your important piece of history. What a keepsake. Thanks as always for sharing about things that are really important in this life. I believe it is good hands. Uncle Roy did the right thing.

jeepyj
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Awesome story, priceless memory for sure. I'm picturing a custom shadow box with the knife & sheath, Maybe the story on some sort of paper with burnt edges or antiqued somehow with a photo of Uncle Roy... Your friend.
Jeepyj

xs11jack
09-04-2013, 11:03 PM
For those of you that have no heirs that would respect the things that soldiers brought home from the wars, find a museum nearby that will take them and display them with the respect they deserve.
Ole Jack