PDA

View Full Version : Big batches??

750k2
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I want to make my alloy more uniform so I was going to get a big cast iron dutch oven
thing and a gas burner so I can mix bigger lots,
My question is will this work?
How many BTU's should my burner put out?
Where can I get a big enough ladle to pour ingots?
Any other help is appreciated.
Thanks for the help

Dale53
10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I have for a long time used a "Turkey Cooker" with a "purpose built" steel container (80 lb lead capacity with a 60 lb working capacity) for smelting and mixing large quantities.

Since I am a certified "Old Fart" and have limited strength, that size is big enough for me. Also, your turkey cooker has a limited output. Mine would easily handle twice the size and weight, but I really prefer to work with these smaller sizes (60-80 lbs). bE SURE THAT ANY CONTAINER IS EITHER CAST IRON OR STEEL. ALUMINUM CONTAINERS ARE DANGEROUS FOR MELTING LEAD.

Bill Ferguson (the Antimony Man) can supply Rowell bottom pour ladles in most any size you prefer. I have a couple or three of them in different sizes and use when I am smelting metal:

http://www.theantimonyman.com/

Dale53

Sundogg1911
10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I use a big dutch oven and a modified turkey fryer. I MIG welded more support for the added weight. (I really don't think I had too, but why take a chance) It works very well. I have some ingot moulds that I made out of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron. when I make ingots, it's usually a weekend long event. usually about a half ton at a time. (Depending on what I have on hand)
I use different moulds for straight PB, Linotype, and WW's so I can easily tell what's what. (I used to write on each ingot with a sharpie) My Daughter helps from time to time. She now cast's, and reloads for Her Walther PPK herself, and also helps me keep the raceguns fed. I really wish She would get into competition. She's a natural! It's almost scary to watch Her at the bowling pin tables too. :-)

44woody
10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
750k2 I can make you a pot big enough to hold over 100 lb at a time and all the ingot moulds you can use I would use a turkey fryer to melt it with let me know if I can help :castmine: 44 Woody

shooter575
10-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Here is my "BIG" batch set up.Old LP tank with steel tubing legs welded on. I will not fill it as it holds 4.5 gal of H2O. But I have had it half full of pb,about 350 lb
My unregulated plumbers pot will melt about 150 lb from solid.To melt more I use a Harbor freight LP weed burner [aka a 747 jet engine on a stick] to help it along. Be sure to have a long sleeve coat on for using one as the hair on my arm is just coming back :]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/MVC-009F-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/MVC-010F-1.jpg

JeffinNZ
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
MOTHER that's a big smelter you got there Shooter. I bet you can make a fair old stake of .22 CB's in THAT!

kodiak1
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Built mine out of a piece of 10" pipe need a valve now that will go onto a 1/2 NPT OR a really good idea on what some of you fella's used for valves.
24 inches tall so will hold a 5 gal pail easy. Have some old burner that I call the incinerater to melt them melts 40# in about 15 minutes so I think it will work okay on the big pot when I get it going.
Was thinking about building my own vale like the 90 pounder Magna pot but just put that on the side for now till I get more time.
Ken.

10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
shooter575 i have a burner like yours with a big steel pot. i see you ahve a sheld to go around it. does it help keep the heat in to belt the lead faster. does it woork good.? what is it made out of alum or steel ? i also see you are using a lid how does that help ? thanks

montana_charlie
10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
i also see you are using a lid how does that help ? thanks
Besides holding heat in to make things melt faster, that lid makes it possible to work in the daytime.
The small hole in the middle makes the lead think it is being melted under a full moon. That's the only time when lead is truly happy...
CM

shooter575
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
shooter575 i have a burner like yours with a big steel pot. i see you ahve a sheld to go around it. does it help keep the heat in to belt the lead faster. does it woork good.? what is it made out of alum or steel ? i also see you are using a lid how does that help ? thanks

The cover is steel roofing I had in the junk pile.I used screws in the legs for stops to keep it from sliding down too far.[BTW that factory paint is pretty tough stuff no to all burn off] I may raise it up a bit to let in more air in for next batch. The lid now is set up for a removal handle. I use the lid for melts of 150 lb or so.When melting biger lots I got to use the 2nd heat scource ie the arm burning flame thrower blowing into the top of the pot.
I got to do a couple melts soon.I will post some pics.
CM,looks like a full moon tomorrow.Be a few weeks before I can melt. I may need to just melt with my pants droped....That should count as a FM....

happy7
10-25-2007, 05:54 AM
bE SURE THAT ANY CONTAINER IS EITHER CAST IRON OR STEEL. ALUMINUM CONTAINERS ARE DANGEROUS FOR MELTING LEAD.

I use an old cast aluminum pressure cooker, which has worked fine for me so far. Why are they dangerous? I may have to start looking for something in steel.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Almuinum can melt through. I had it happen once. I dont do batches any bigger then a 100lbs anymore. I used to use half a water heater for a smelting pot and do about 3-400 lbs at a crack but with zinc anymore its just to hard to make sure you get the floaters out with that much ww. I dont have the time or ambition to pick them out by hand so i use a turkey fryer and a cast iron pot and do about 80lbs at a time.

shooter575
10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I use an old cast aluminum pressure cooker, which has worked fine for me so far. Why are they dangerous? I may have to start looking for something in steel.

Aluminum pots will work.....Till they fail ! Problem is they will do it with out any notice.
Anyone that has heated Al with a torch has seen it will be solid one second and a puddle at your feet the next.No color change,just a plop.Al aloys melt in the 1300-1400 range.Using a gas heat source with a big btu output can bring that pot up to critical temp.Steel or cast iron failure temps are up over the 2600 deg range. That safety factor I feel is needed.
I had a pot failure once.Many years ago.Using a homemade blacksmith forge using charcoal and a too big of a blower. I was using a CI plumbers pot loaded with 80 lb of lead. I had it full and walked away for a couple minutes.I was waiting for the ingots to cool a bit to dump them.When I came back my pot was empty.I had blown a hole the size of a sivler dollar on the side of it.Lead was all puddled in the firebox.I was lucky it did not run into the tweer.
No damage done with that one other than the loss of my only CI pot. I made one out of a piece or sch 80 6" pipe with a 3/8 plate bottom to replace that one.But looking back I was heating the lead way to high and vaporising some of the melt.That is a bad health issue.I have used up a lot of the luck I was issued to get to be this age.I want you guys to hoard yours...You may need it later.

BABore
10-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Pure aluminum has a melting point of 1,220 F. It also lacks hot strength. Steels and cast iron have melting points of 2,750 F plus and have excellent hot strength. Hot strength is the metal's ability to resist deformation and structural collapse at elevated temperatures. Your smelting lead alloy at 650 to 850 F. The bottom of the pot, getting the direct flame, is hotter than that. Put 50-100 lbs of molten lead on top of that hot weak aluminum and your asking for it. It will only be a matter of when.