PDA

View Full Version : I have chosen an heir

Jim
09-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Back in March, I started a thread entitled ' What will be come of your stuff when you pass? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?190899-What-will-become-of-your-stuff-when-you-pass&highlight=)'. After much careful thought and consideration of the matter, I have chosen an heir to leave most of my stuff to.

My brother has two daughters. The younger is married to a man that I have a great deal of respect for. From growing up with nothing, he worked his way through college, got his PhD and now is the Assistant Dean at the Citadel Military College in Charleston, SC.

Bob and Cary have a son, now 4 yrs. old, named Connor. Bob, especially, displays the values, standards and morals that my father taught me. Bob is an avid caster, handloader and shooter and a strong advocate of the second amendment. Both he and Cary are strong Christians and are raising Connor to be such a man. I have chosen Connor as my heir.

I had a good, long conversation yesterday with Bob and explained to him my plans and why I chose Connor as my heir. He thanked my for choosing Connor, but I told him he and Cary are responsible for this as I knew they would raise their son to be the man I would be proud to have my stuff.

Connor is only 4 right now, about to turn 5 in December. He's not ready for anything at this time, but it won't be long before he'll be ready for his first 22 rifle. I asked Bob for the priveledge of having 'dibs' on giving Connor his first rifle. He said "Absolutely!" A boy's first rifle usually comes from Dad, so being given that priveledge is kinda' cool for ol' 'Pappy'!

I explained to Bob that I would be giving Connor firearms as he grows into them. I have no intention of sitting on this stuff until I'm buried. I'm going to give him this stuff as he grows into it so I can watch him enjoy it. I wanna' be a part of this while I'm alive to see it.

A lot of you know that I have a son, grandson and granddaughter in SC. Some would ask why I'm not leaving my stuff to them. With all due respect, I will simply say I have my reasons and leave it at that.

I know that Connor will be taught to appreciate the firearms, casting and loading equipment I have for him. I also know he will cherish my great uncle's old LeFever Nitro Special double 12 as much as I do.

This was a difficult decision to make and it was not made in haste. But I know that I will never wonder if I made a mistake.

RickinTN
09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Jim,
You are lucky to have such a deserving heir. I have three sons ranging in age from 23 to 28 years old. Their interest in shooting/reloading/casting ranges from none, to maybe moderate. I certainly won't leave any of them out, but hope I have a grandson/granddaughter to come along who has more interest than my sons have. I like the idea of giving to them while you/I can see them enjoy it! I have been giving a few items away to young shooters who are un-related but do have strong interest, and it is very rewarding to watch them grow in things I enjoy. I hope you and I both have plenty of time yet so share the "things" we have.
Take care,
Rick

NSP64
09-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I will leave it to .........maybe some board member.

jmort
09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
An important decision no doubt. Sorry to hear you own children don't make the grade.

Blacksmith
09-02-2013, 10:36 AM
My brother has told us that he will be giving our fathers Winchester 52 to my son. Dad won it in a shooting competition before we were born, it is a sporter model with a serial number from before they added letter suffixes, my brother got it as the oldest son. Both my brother and I have shot this in competition so it means much to the family. So far it is only two owners.

He said the reason he wasn't giving it to his son was that "He would just sell it when he found out what it's worth." I am blessed with two grandsons who love shooting and are being raised "right" so my only problem is trying to accumulate two of everything so there won't be hard feelings when I go.

oscarflytyer
09-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I consider myself very lucky. 3 stepsons and 2 of my own. All are into shooting and hunting of some sort. And all have different tastes and interests. So it is not too hard to figure out how to divy stuff up for me. Nobody has yet to take up bullet casting, and don't love the SA revolvers like I do, but sure one of them will eventually take to it, or a grandson/daughter...

daniel lawecki
09-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Jim you made the right choice my son & daughter want nothing do with guns. My granddaughter shot a couple times with me. My only grandson is not to interested. So maybe later my choice will be as hard as ours was. Both grandchildren live with me and the wife they fine kids.

1Shirt
09-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Passed one to son in law, and another to grand daughter. Plan on more of the same as time goes on. Hope to live long enough to be able to pass some to great grand kids.
1Shirt!

waksupi
09-02-2013, 05:57 PM
I made a new will last year. The only ones who know what is in it, is my executor, and the co-executor. Not that there is very much!

shooter93
09-02-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm the only shooter in my Family and no real shooting friends. I have become closer to the young man who builds guns for me than I am to my brothers.....he gets it all......sorry Doug....no double rifle for you...lol.....and ofcourse Ric...I assume I'm right at the top of your list?....lmao

btroj
09-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Passed one to son in law, and another to grand daughter. Plan on more of the same as time goes on. Hope to live long enough to be able to pass some to great grand kids.
1Shirt!

When can we start picking?

Vic would love a nice double action 357

gbrown
09-02-2013, 06:52 PM
When I was about 16, my grandfather gave me his single shot Remington 510 Target Master .22 and his .410 310 Stevens side by side he received at his retirement, engraved with "To Glen W McCloud from the Continental Boys". There were plenty of other grandkids, but he knew that I hunted and reloaded. Dad had used the .22 to hunt along creek bottoms back in the 30's and 40's before and after he married mom. I used both extensively, both were really good shooters. Anyway, about 4 years ago my cousin, retired Master at Arms E8, told me he was stopping by on the way to a family meet. I talked to him about the guns, he has 2 children and a bunch of grandchildren. He and his son hunt and shoot, and their last name is McCloud. I decided that these should go back to that side of the family as heirlooms. I gave him both when he visited us. I got plenty to hand down to my side.

Thumbcocker
09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
I thought I had the situation covered but recent events changed that. You are a fine man Jim. Many people know the right thing to do, you sir do it.

DougGuy
09-02-2013, 08:48 PM
I passed my grandfather's Fox/Savage sxs 20ga to my son, I hunted with this one when I was a kid barely big enough to hold the muzzle off the ground. There is a .22 that I still have and took squirrels with when I was 5. It will go to him as well. I have some ideas as to who will get some of the other arms I own, but Jim's doing it right.

John Allen
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Jim, I am glad you had the talk now instead of waiting till later. My kids shoot and love it so I will pass them along to them. I have specific guns already picked out for each one of them for my own reasons.

popper
09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Raised in a non-gun family, who was raised in a non-gun family. Raised a non-gun family, but the kids have a little interest in family relics. If I out live my shooting days, I'll give them whatever they want, else they divide it as they want and sell the left over. That is assuming we can sell anything by then. I see little respect for 'passed down "junk" ' in the public or my kids. Basically little respect for other people or their stuff.

TheCelt
09-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Jim, I'd never have given this issue much thought till I got diagnosed with a Chronic Heart disease (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) a few years ago. At least I know what's gonna get me (if I ain't bear or wolf scat after the upcoming Idaho hunt). I don't have a lot but do have some guns that are special to me. Like you, my son doesn't make the cut but daughter and her husband get some. My cousins from Wisconsin are my choice for the "good stuff". They are like brothers to me and value a fine rifle as much as I do. They hunt, fish and love the outdoors and being raised on a farm are as squared away as the day is long. I guess every man reaches a point in his life were he's got to make plans like this but it sure is tougher than it seems at first glance.

smoked turkey
09-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Jim thank you for posting this. I read this post to my wife. Not sure she "gets it", but I sure did. You bring up a very good point and one we need to carefully consider just as you did. I will do just that and hopefully make the right decision.

wv109323
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't have that problem. My grandchildren have already come in and claimed the firearms they want.

SteveUSP
09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Like you, I chose my nephew to receive all my guns and related 'stuff'. My two daughters have no interest, and it really belongs in the hands of someone that will not only appreciate it, but use it. I could change my mind, if I ever get a son-in-law (or grandchild) that is worthy, but both girls are still single :(

375supermag
09-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi...

I suppose I won't have much in the way of a decision on this front.
My son already thinks of my guns as his. He probably shoots them more than I do, so he has a valid point.
Both of my daughters were taught to shoot at a young age, but they haven't gone shooting with me in years. No anti-gun issues, just very little interest and/or time. The youngest daughter has a 4-year-old son that she wants me to take shooting when he is mature and responsible enough.

I have four grand daughters also...they range in age from 16-years-old to 2-1/2 months. I don't know if they will have any interest in firearms. The 16-year-old doesn't at this point.