PDA

View Full Version : Surgery tomorrow

farmerjim
09-02-2013, 07:59 AM
I go in for 2 surgeries tomorrow at 05:00. First in the morning a greenfield filter will be inserted into my vena cava because I had a pulmonary embolism last year after spinal surgery. Then at noon I will have a double Knee replacement. I don't know how long I will be in the Hospital, 3 to 10 days, but I will probably be so doped up that I will not be able to read this forum, Bummer. Please say a prayer for me. There is wi-fi in the room, and I will have a laptop.
All you Louisiana and Mississippi guys, we need to have a get together and shoot sometime. I am on 30 acres and have a range in my back field, but I have close neighbors and a subdivision near. Any event would have to be limited to about 10. I have already been visited by one of the sheriffs deputies when we were shooting full auto thompsons, but to counter that the local DA was shooting on the range two weeks ago. I love guns casting and shooting. I hope to be back at it soon. Thanks to all members, I love this forum.

Jim

oldarkie
09-02-2013, 08:05 AM
you`ll be in my prayers,im sure it will turn out fine.

scottiemom
09-02-2013, 08:11 AM
prayers going up -

Goatwhiskers
09-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Definitely got prayers going up. This is one of those deals where if you do exactly what your docs tell you the recovery will be like the time it takes to draw a breath. We surely will have to get together, I live right across the river at Innis and have the same hobbies. Even got a shop to work in and my own range. GW

MrWolf
09-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Prayers sent and luck with the surgery.

jmort
09-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Paying for Divine guidance for the physicians/surgeons and for a full and complete recovery. May God Bless You Richly Brother Jim.
John

Blacksmith
09-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Farmerjim
You will be on our thoughts and prayers. I am sure everything will go well. My wife just had her second hip replaced and she was operated on on Wednesday and went home Thursday. The only problem was they should have given her a walker with a ball and chain attached to slow her down so she can recover.

Echo
09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
FJ, do what the Physical Terrorists tell you to do - the more it hurts, the sooner you will be spry again. Two knees at one time puts the breaks on for a few days, but it will pass fast. Good luck...

slim1836
09-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Prayer sent your way and hoping for a speedy full recovery.
God bless,

Slim

blackthorn
09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Prayers and best wishes from our house to yours!!

PB234
09-02-2013, 11:56 AM
For the knee part you are going to have trouble getting around for a bit immediately after the operation. You need a supply of ice to continuously ice down the knees. They will likely give you a machine that runs water through a sort of heat exchanger you place on your knee. You want to prepare lots of dinners and freeze them. Get a seat for the shower. Get a riser for the toilet to make it more handicap accessible as you will be handicapped for a while until you heal. Buy as much of the necessities you will need for a few weeks before the surgery. Even when you can get around nicely it will be better to already have done it.

After a bit you will wonder what took you so long to have the knees done. When you get well enough to go to rehab make a solid effort to do your best at rehab. It is real important. You will be good as new with new knees.

Goatwhiskers
09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Jim, maybe your doc will see fit to send you to BR Rehab Hospital. Been there, done that with my back surgery, when they send you home you'll be walking slow but you will be able to look after yourself. GW

w5pv
09-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Had the pulmonary embolism about 6 years ago,prayers and the good lord pulled me through.Prayers are the offering for the day Jim,good luck.

Bzcraig
09-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Praying as well Jim. You do your part, doctors do their part, God does His part and all will be well.

pmeisel
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
God bless. I am going for minor surgery tomorrow myself, I'll be thinking of you.

Artful
09-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Hoping all goes well, prayers sent and wishing you a speedy recovery

Bad Water Bill
09-03-2013, 10:28 AM
My mother had her knees done singly, but recovered quickly despite being 75. She did much of her home rehab/PT by rocking in a rocking chair, and her PT couldn't believe how quickly she regained strength and range of motion

How about sharing exactly what MOM did?

Many here will be interested.

TheCelt
09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Prayers for ya Jim!

SSGOldfart
09-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Good Luck hope them new knees don't give you any trouble

Recluse
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
3 to 10 days. . . ugh. I did a couple of tours in the hospital this past spring and after just 3 to 10 hours I was ready to belt hell out of everyone that came in my room.

Hang in there and just keep telling yourself you'll be the better for having gone through it all.

:coffee:

mikeym1a
09-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Well, it's 1445 EDT, and by now, you should just about be ready to come out of the OR. 3 weeks ago I was told I have another clot, this one in my calf. Back on warfarin. I hate the stuff. It makes you simple. Your memory fails, leaves you so tired that sometimes you just fall asleep, and other times you can't sleep. And they tell you not to eat the food that you like that is good for you. Momma always said '...now eat your greens...'. The ER Dr advised me to get a greenfield. I plan to ask the Doctor about that when I go for an INR tomorrow. (that is getting your blood warfarin level checked). My knees are giving me fits as well, but they already said they were in too good a shape to replace. If so, why can't I get up out of the chair without a hoist? So, I feel for you. But, you have some relief. New knees. Some of the guys I know that have them say it's great. I hope you recover soon, and are able to get back to the range. I hope to get to the range Thursday, in spite of my knees. Can't go tomorrow because of the time of the INR test. Middle of the afternoon. A trip to the range is a 5 hr affair. I take my time, and I can't go in the time allotted tomorrow. I envy you your new knees. I really do, every time I have to stand up. Come home soon.

mikeym1a
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Just checking back to see how you were doing. Hope you are able to give us an update, even an incoherent one, some time soon. CHEERS!!!! [smilie=1:

km101
09-04-2013, 11:09 AM
By now you should be back in your room and adjusting to all the tubes, catheters, monitors, etc.

Remember that the Lord wont put more on you than you can stand. Now may be a tough time, but you can and will get through it. Follow the doctor's instructions, do the P/T and take the pain meds as directed.
Don't try to go without pain meds, or "over-do" therapy. You will not help your recovery! I know this for a fact!

I know that pain and worries can make you gruff and short tempered. Remember that everyone there is trying to help. Don't be gruff or short with loved ones or staff, they are there to help and support and really need you to be kind and helpful. It will make thing go so much easier.

Get well and get back to your life and hobbies! We are all waiting to hear from you!

mikeym1a
09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
In Jan, 2012, the Drs fixed a hammer toe on my left foot. Small surgery. They used a local to block the pain. After the surgery, they sent me home with Hydrocodone for pain. That is neat stuff. It blocks the pain really well, and makes me giggle , a lot! I had one refill, which I got filled, and have hoarded them for use when I get one of my migraines. Odd, since starting the warfarin, I haven't had any. Anyhow, I have just enough for 5 migraines left, after a year and a half. I'll be sad when that is exhausted. Good Stuff!!8-)

mikeym1a
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Hope he's doing OK. I'd like to know about those knees.............[smilie=s:

Artful
09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Farmer Jim, hoping to hear a good word from you today.

alleyoop
09-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Prayers for you farmerjim, love your flag and some of us Bama boys travel all over the S E to hunt and shoot.

farmerjim
09-07-2013, 06:10 AM
I am back home. I got out about noon yesterday. The pain is level is very high. They did a nerve block injection on both legs, then percoet 10 every 3 hours along with some toroidal and morphine and I just took a Tylenol which helps with the pain and mild fever almost as much as the others. The pain is driving my heart rate to 120 and my glucose to near 200. Metoprolol and glyburide help keep these down. The pain does make me short with others, but they understand it is not me and forgive it. I will continue my therapy here at home for three more weeks, then shift yo a place here in town. I know that I must continue with this no matter how much pain if I an to walk correctly again. Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement.
Jim

Hickory
09-07-2013, 06:44 AM
I have had to endure a lot of physical pain over the years from accidents and surgery, and yes a knee replacement.
The first 3-5 days are the worst. It is very important to do your exercises, and no matter the pain, just remember, it gets better.
Also, I've found it best to switch over to over-the-counter pain medication after 5-7 days. But, only you can be the judge on that.

farmerjim
09-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Well I have turned the corner. I can now function on about half the pain medication that I had had to take just yesterday.
The therapists say that I have my range of motion up to what it takes most people three weeks to attain. I have been working hard, and the pain has been quite bad at times, The meds have kept it bearable. Just my comprehension and ability to think have been quite low. Now I should be able to make the Oct 1 opening of Archery Deer season.
Thanks for all the prayers, They definitely helped me and my family.
Now I get to catch up on all the forum posts I missed in the last week.

Jim

Artful
09-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Glad to hear of the improvement - good luck robin hood, kill one of the kings bucks