PDA

View Full Version : Want to get started on the right foot!

skypilot
09-01-2013, 01:06 AM
I am wanting to enter the world of casting my own bullets in .45 Colt for SASS shooting. I have nothing except some lead I've collected. Can I get some of you experts to suggest equipment and a good step-by-step guide to get me started on the right foot? Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie!!

dromia
09-01-2013, 01:19 AM
I suggest that you peruse the stickies on the forums as this question has been answered many times here.

Using google and putting cast boolits in at the end of your search question works better than the board search engine.

Fryxel's book is worth reading and links can be found here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110213-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

Reading about the subject and getting an over view in your head will then enable you start asking more specific questions to your knowledge and experience level.

Finding a caster close to you who will help you on your way and give you some hands on experience is one of the best learning ways.

dromia
09-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits BTW! [smilie=s:

skypilot
09-01-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks and will do!

mroliver77
09-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Only thing I can add to dromia's post is don't let people tell you that you need an expensive bottom pour pot and other expensive tools. Many cast with the minimum of tools and expense. A strong steel sauce pan, a heat source like a hotplate a coleman burner or even a kitchen range will do. You need a mold. Lee molds are cheap and usually need a little fixing or tuning but can make great boolits. A ladle or dipper some call it. I prefer the Lyman, RCBS as they work good and are not too expensive. Many use a strong spoon or ladle with a spout bent into it. Lube, search for 45-45-10 lube. And possibly a sizing die as sometimes the boolits drop too large for your gun.
Some of us are addicts and have spent hundreds or thousands on tools. We cannot make better boolits only more, faster and maybe easier.
Welcome and good luck.
Jay

fcvan
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
I would think there are more than a few SASS shooters who are casting enthusiasts. Ask around at the next shoot and see how many folks jump at the chance to share their knowledge with you. Casting can be learned by reading the great posts here. Hands on learning with a buddy really helps too. Once you've cast and shot your own, you'll be so hooked. Welcome to a new level of obsession!

bangerjim
09-01-2013, 12:42 PM
A LEE 4-20 bottom pour pot is not really THAT expensive and is well worth it. I have 2 of them for different mixes & the 4# precision melter for ladle casting. I do both ladle a bottom pour. Bottom is definitely faster and cleaner.....no "stuff" to skim off and worry about in your pour. The other brands of pots/melters are waaaaaay more $$ and are probably made better, but the the Lee things works very well and is repeatable & reliable.

The RCBS cast iron bottom-side pour ladle is the best for the money.

I use LEE molds only. 2 & 6 bangers.......have 16 of them 2 holers are cheap and readily available. But the 6ers are really nice and VERY fast! (You will need the bottom pour if you use 6 cav molds.) They are in big demand and you may have to go on a waiting list for a while to get the ones you want. You can get 2 cav for around $15 and 6 cav for around $35 on-line NEW. You will need a set of $12 handles for the 6 cav, but it only takes only about a minute to change handles from one mold to another.

Welcome to the addiction! [smilie=w:

When you get up & going, check out the electrostatic powder coating technique many of us are having great success with here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method&highlight=powder+coating+101

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

David2011
09-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Skypilot,

Welcome to Castboolits.

Dromia recommended a great resource.

Jay is dead on- the more expensive equipment lets us make more faster but not necessarily better. The dipper crowd typically makes very high quality and consistent boolits.

You've already identified yourself as being very committed to sport shooting as SASS is not an inexpensive pursuit even at the entry level. SASS shooting consumes a lot of ammunition so you probably want some efficiency in your casting process. There are a lot of people on this site that are really good at casting with minimal equipment and I respect them immensely. The other end of the spectrum is the caster who shoots a lot and wants some speed in the process. I'm one of those casters.

When I fire up the pot it is with the expectation of casting a minimum of 600 to 1000 boolits depending on the weight and if I feel really energetic I'll cast 3 pots full- 1800-3000 boolits in a session. That requires a good pot, a good work area and since I prefer to lube and size, a good high volume (Star) sizer. Point is, purchase once and get equipment that will suit your needs the first time. I like the Lyman 452374 mold for .45 Colt and .45 ACP. It follows the contour of the original .45 ACP profile but also just looks right in a .45 Colt cartridge as a tradidional cast boolit. They slip into the chambers easily, too. The mold is available in a 4 cavity version. I find I can cast as fast with an iron or steel 4 cavity mold as I can a 6 cavity aluminum Lee mold. Granted, there's a big difference in price. You don't NEED a bottom pour furnace. Many people cast successfully with a dipper but for volume, even the inexpensive (compared to others) Lee 20 pound bottom pour would be my prefernce over dipping. Lots of people start with a Lee and when they use it up go on to a different brand like the RCBS Pro-Melt.

For an alloy, all you need for Cowboy velocities is lead with 2% tin to make it cast more easily. A little harder, like 50/50 wheelweights and straight lead won't hurt but you don't need hard boolits.

Read some, do some, read some more and have fun!

David

Wayne Smith
09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Think about your future shooting hobby. If you are only going to shoot one or two calibers, the Star is good and the best. I shoot about two dozen different calibers, I have a Lyman and an RCBS - one has pistol and black powder lube and the other one has rifle lube. All the sizers fit both. Changing out lubes is not something I want to do with one lube sizer.

I am still using a Coleman stove and a Lyman dipper. This is after over 10 years of casting. I cast big boolits and small boolits (the smallest is for the 25-20, the biggest for the S&W 500 cartridge). All are cast with a dipper. I taught my best friend to cast, his son bought him a bottom draw pot and he loves it. Unless he is casting a big boolit, then he comes over and uses my dipper and pot.

I would rather use my money on good molds.

For rifle boolits you need gas checks. For pistol, including the 44Mag, use plain base. It will save you money.