PDA

View Full Version : Quick - do I need a Redfield 70KT for my Krag?

StanDahl
08-21-2005, 01:48 AM
I spotted what I think is a Redfield 70KT for $50 (negotiable) at a local gun show today and recalled Buckshot's Redfield-equipped Krag. My Krag is as-issued, with documented history. I probably don't want to remove the cut-off switch and get a new screw for the whatchmacallit do I? Is it an improvement over the issue sights? My re-entry stamp is fading away - I'm thinking about going back anyway for a .22 I saw but passed on - what say you? Stan

KCSO
08-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Stan
The price is right and the Redfield is a good sight. The nice thing is that it takes about 5 minutes to change back to the issue parts. I have one on my sporter and I sure haven't missed the magazine cut off. Make sure that the sight has that longer screw for the front of the sight, the one that replaces the mag cover screw. Those are impossible to get and I had to make mine.
For me and my old eyes the peep sight makes about 1 1/2" difference in group size over factory irons. The narrow blade on the Krag is a little harder than usual for me to see so I like the peep. If nothing else at that price I would buy it for resale or trade.

StanDahl
08-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks, KCSO...I saw your post too late and didn't stop by the guys table, but I did buy both of the .22's I had my eye on (Hopkins & Allen 822 & Savage 23A with a nice Lyman receiver sight). Since that Redfield sight is so quick and easy, I think I'll track the seller down at the next show. It didn't have the screw, so I'll have my work cut out for me, I guess. Thanks, Stan

KCSO
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
When I go home toinight I will check my notes and post the specs for that screw.

moodyholler
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I have one on my Krag and like it mucho. moodyholler

StanDahl
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Moodyholler - what'cha got there in the picture? It kind of looks like this:
(I think there's something there - I haven't posted an image on this site before.) Anyway, it's a Hopkins & Allen (Merwin & Hulbert) in 32WCF. Stan