PDA

View Full Version : Tried a different epoxy brand paint today, and it worked well. Do I need a gas check?

capt.hollis
08-31-2013, 09:28 PM
I seen this on an older post on what kind of paint they used, but I figured some might have not seen it so here it is. You can buy it at Oriley auto parts, and Auto Zone. All I did was sit the bullets on a non stick pan, and hand sprayed away. Set the oven on 250 degrees for 15 minutes, and let em cook, this is strong hard coating. Do you think I could get by without using a gas check, because the bottom of the bullets are coated also. This is a 30 cal. bullet 150 gr. used in a 300 Blackout loaded super sonic with 15 grains of "lil gun" powder
Thanks Guys8068380682

Jailer
08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Shoot em and see how they perform.

capt.hollis
08-31-2013, 10:13 PM
How will I know if I need a gas check after shooting ? Leading of the barrel, and accuracy ?
Shoot em and see how they perform.

Jailer
08-31-2013, 10:58 PM
How will I know if I need a gas check after shooting ? Leading of the barrel, and accuracy ?

Yes to each. If accuracy sucks, try a gas check and see if it improves. If it leads the barrel, try a gas check and see if it improves.

Skip62
08-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Can you explain in a little more detail your process? Specifically, how'd you coat the entire bullet?

35 shooter
08-31-2013, 11:08 PM

I've done it with lubed boolits without the check but had to reduce speed a little to get the accurracy. Without the checks on a shanked base tho the accurracy seemed to fall off at about 150 yards. A balance thing as it slows down?
Don't know for sure, didn't fool with it much. Might work better with the epoxy finish.

What i would like to know is how fast you can shoot a plain base boolit with that coating out of a rifle. Eventually i'm going to try that coating thing myself, but for now i've just gotten my "conventional" lubed boolits where i want them.

Did you just cook the one time? Or if more do they have to cool completely between cooking? I've been paying a little attention to it, just haven't read all the threads......Good luck with it tho.

capt.hollis
08-31-2013, 11:24 PM
I sprayed the whole top of the bullet at one time, and with just one coat. Put them in the oven for 15 min at 250 , then I let them cool down .i then turned them over and sprayed the bottom of the bullet, and again placed them in the oven for 15 min at 250 deg. So actually the top half of my bullets are getting 2 sessions in the oven versus the bottom of the bullet getting on oven session. Worked well. I had the bullets already sitting on the cookie sheet that the oven came with. And laid non stick aluminum foil down first before putting them down on the cookie sheet. Therefore after I painted them all I had to do was just slide the sheet back into the oven without touching the bullets .

Skip62
08-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Cool, thanks. They look GREAT!!!

capt.hollis
08-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Also this paint has to be really shaken up big time or it'll spray the epoxy Without the black dye. I always spray a couple of test strips before I start on the bullets