PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube by wght or volume?

yman
10-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Fixing to mix up some bullet lube going with the 50/50 bees wax & alox formula. But I just relized I dont know if thats by wght or volume? If wght thats no prob but if its buy volume I guess you melt the bees wax & poor it in a measurimg cup & then the same amount of alox. Someone please let me know and does it mix easy or should I set up a dbl boiler system?

testhop
10-21-2007, 05:27 PM
it is not that strictyou are the mixer and 50-50is 50-50 eather way i would think
if you go half and half or 50-50 it is t he same

Glen
10-21-2007, 05:30 PM
by weight.

montana_charlie
10-21-2007, 09:16 PM
if its buy volume I guess you melt the bees wax & poor it in a measurimg cup & then the same amount of alox.
It depends on which you have the most of. Let's say you have lots of Alox, but only a small amount of beeswax.

Put all of your beeswax in the pot and melt it. Then make note of how full you would have to fill the pot to double the quantity.
Add alox until you reach that point.
That's 50/50.

Someone please let me know and does it mix easy or should I set up a dbl boiler system?
I know that some think there is no such thing as a'dumb question', but...
Always use a double boiler for bullet lube unless you have a heating device that is totally incapable of getting over 200 degrees...like a chocolate melter, or something.
CM

ssn vet
10-22-2007, 09:07 AM
are you guys using the little 4 oz. bottles of Lee Liquid Alox for this mix?

Seems like you'd need half a dozen bottles to get enough for a "lube cake".....

can larger bottle be had?

is there a solid Alox that can be melted with bees wax to get the same results?

jonk
10-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Use solid Alox. It is available at many reloading retailers. Lee has its uses in bullet lube mixes but a 50/50 beeswax Liqud alox mix would be pretty runny still. And slowly dry out.