PDA

View Full Version : Which way is better.

OverMax
08-31-2013, 04:33 AM
There is allot of info to be gained from these threads. But one subject I'm interested in. I notice hasn't been touched on for awhile. For example: 54 caliber.
My question. To get the utmost best accuracy from a Rd Ball only Barrel. Is it better to cast a .005 oversize 53.5 cal ball & use a .010 size patch? Or would a standard 53.0 ball with a thicker .015 patch be a better way? As both balls measure out the same when patched. Curious as to which is the bigger contributor to accuracy. The actual size of the ball or the thickness of a patch?
BTW. Thanks, for your comment.

Dean D.
08-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Patch blow out due to thin patches can seriously affect your accuracy. I use a .530 RB with pillow ticking patch in my .54 Colerain barrel with round bottom grooves. Every gun is different and will have it's own preferred combination of RB and patch for best accuracy. Only testing will tell you what your rifle prefers. Those are my experiences and only worth what you paid for it. ;)

curator
08-31-2013, 06:14 AM
I use a .535 ball AND a .016" pillow ticking patch. Usually the most accurate load is the tightest you can load without deforming the ball. Patch material needs to be slightly compressed in the rifling grooves to prevent burn-through/gas leakage.

bob208
08-31-2013, 10:29 AM
there is no one answer. I have a .54 rifle with a hoyt barrel. it has a choke it likes a .526 ball with a .020 patch. a .530 ball is a little tight but it loads ok. but a .535 is I mite need a hammer to get this down.

mooman76
08-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Like stated every gun is different and only trying will tell. Some have tighter bores than others. I have a 54 that I got used but not used much. It has a very tight bore and I'd have to use a hammer to get a 535 ball down the bore, even with a thin patch. One thing I've noted from others. After you gun is well used and accuracy starts to drop off from ware, you can usually move up to a slightly bigger ball and bring accuracy back.

Hanshi
08-31-2013, 03:10 PM
I prefer to use a .001" under bore size ball and the thickest patch that will load with a wood rod without breakage.

DIRT Farmer
08-31-2013, 11:27 PM
The school of thought I learned from, start at a bore size ball and experiment with patching. For fifty I have .490, .495, .500 and .505 moulds. A barrel with a proper crown and cut rifling will generaly take bore sized and .0020 patching using a short starter.
I have short starters that are machined to match the ball face and have clerance for the patching that are intended to be used with a mallet.
As a barrel is used and gets slicker, (several thousand rounds) it has been noted that a thicker patch will return grouping to origonal sight settings.
The most accurate barrel I have is a .40 that I load with a .400 ball and .0020 teflon patching. It requires a mallet to start the ball but now is slick enough to load with a wooden rod. I use a near bore sized polished stanless rod with bore guides for target shooting so I can feel the compresion of the powder wich I try to keep around five pounds.

1Shirt
09-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Trial and error! Use what works best without blow out of patch, and buy enough material for patching once you have the combination to last a very long time. Also suggest you pre grease/lube your patches. I had best luck with patches lubed with a mix of 1 part beeswax to about 4 parts Crisco.
1Shirt!

Dirty30
09-03-2013, 02:59 AM
My .54 likes more patch and less ball. .527 ball with an .018 patch shoots really nice. I about need a hammer to get a .535 patched ball down my barrel. Your rifle may be different, but pick up your patches after firing and inspect them. They should not be burned through or torn, because that will affect your accuracy.

You may already know this, but it should be said for the good of the order.

Lead Fred
09-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Like cowbell, you always can use more patch.

The better the seal, the faster it moves