PDA

View Full Version : As-cast diameter variation -no big deal?

truckmsl
10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi guys - I'm casting 175 gr SWC for .40S&W pistol using a Lee 6 cavity mould. I've had good luck shooting these as-cast and tumble lubed. When measuring the diameter, I noticed that some appear to be out of round by 1 or 1-1/2 thou. I'm thinking that this is no big deal, because upon firing, the barrel is going to re-shape the bullet anyway. I considered trying to round out the mould by lapping, but if my theory is correct, that would be a waste of time. What do you guys think - am I wrong on this? Thanks in advance for any input.

44man
10-21-2007, 06:48 PM
DON'T, it will get more out of round. I have never seen a perfect cast boolit from any mold. Don't mean a thing.

Springfield
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
If my LEE 6 cavities were only 1.5 thou out I would be a happy camper. Usually closer to 2-3, but the sizer takes care of it. I always figured as long as it was out of round the same on both sides the balance is not going to suffer anyway.

kodiak1
10-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Have a Lee 6 banger I don't know how much it is out cause I am scared to measure it, but after a trip through the sizer die them seem to shoot just fine.
Ken.

leftiye
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
If it is out of round side to side (mold halves not perfectly aligned), you can sometimes bring it closer by making sure that there are no burrs around the locating pins, or in the pin holes. In the case of the holes, don't (never) file or sand at all - the side of the hole that would make the misalignment worse. A little lapping has actually helped for me in some cases in the past.

Sundogg1911
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
wouldn't it be easier just to size them? or mabe i'm missing something here. (Which is typical for me) ;-)

Dale53
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
MY experience parallels "44Man". I haven't seen a perfect bullet from any factory moulds. One off custom moulds typically have closer tolerances.

I will guarantee you that in pistols and revolvers it doesn't mean a thing unless it is outrageously out of round.

Cast and be happy:drinks:

Dale53

Char-Gar
10-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I have not seen a cast bullet in the last 48 years that was perfectly round. They are all out of round to one degree or another.

I won't say "out of roundess" doesn't make any difference because under some circumstances it will. Bullets that have longnish noses are most effected. Folks who take rifle shooting with "nosey" bullet often mark their molds so each round can be chambered with the mark oriented to the chamber in the same position for each round. This way the bullet will wobble the same each time.

As others have said, a sizing die can cure out of roundess on the body...but there is always that pesky nose that doesn't get trued by the die. But for handgun and much rifle shooting out of roundness is not an issue.

truckmsl
10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm seeing quite good accuracy shooting these as-cast, but was just wondering if accuracy might be even better without the variation. Sundogg - sizing is the obvious solution if a problem exists, but I'm just trying to streamline the process as much as possible due to time constraints. Like many pistol shooters, volume (with accuracy) is the name of the game for me. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!