PDA

View Full Version : maybe this wasnt such a great idea!

guncheese
08-29-2013, 02:41 PM
thought it might be fun to see what would happen
http://k9wkj.net/shooting%20pix/bad%20idea%20gone%20worse.png
and yes thats .2 gr of BE not 2 but .2
there isnt room for any more powder
so i guess its just not a good idea :kidding:
im sure it wouldnt make it out the muzzle!

BBQJOE
08-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Well?

Wayne Smith
08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
... and the guys at my range were checking to see if 1.2gr BE under a round ball in .32 Short would go through the backstop. You got me beat by a mile!

Calamity Jake
08-29-2013, 03:14 PM
You need to move up to 45 ACP, like this one:http://photos.gunloads.com/images/CalamityJake/535gr45acp1024x768.jpg

:lovebooli [smilie=1:

novalty
08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Well that 9mm certainly would be a solid design. How fast can you throw it?

Swede44mag
08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
thought it might be fun to see what would happen
http://k9wkj.net/shooting%20pix/bad%20idea%20gone%20worse.png
and yes thats .2 gr of BE not 2 but .2
there isnt room for any more powder
so i guess its just not a good idea :kidding:
im sure it wouldnt make it out the muzzle!

Did you try a compressed load?
I cut off some .38spc shells in the past to 9mm length and loaded them with a .355 95gr jword I wanted a Rimed case in a 9mm length for a light load in my S&W (I think it was a model 27 looked like a Highway Patrollman but in satin with an 8/38" barrel)
Didnt kick and was powerfull enough to shoot through one side of a 55gal steel barrel.
So you are not the only one to experiment. :-)

Zymurgy50
08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I used to play a muzzleloader game where the idea was to get the RB to stop inside a one gallon paint can (lotsa RBs stuck halfway out the barrel).
Looks like you may have a winner there!!!!!!

Thompsoncustom
08-29-2013, 04:31 PM
You don't know if you don't try.

I would have never found my favorite load if I didn't journey into uncharted waters.

168gr SWC 2.7grs aa#2 OAL 1.135

guncheese
08-29-2013, 09:06 PM
cripes you guys are making me think of actually trying this!! :eek:
now if i used a hollow base wad cutter i could fill the base up with powder
and stick the case on it upside down, then seat
humm........

what are you doing with that, i like!

williamwaco
08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Most great new ideas start out as "crazy ideas, just to see what happens."

If asked, I would have said there is no way that would work.

I thought the bullet would expand the case where the internal taper begins and make it too large to chamber. ( That happens with wad cutters even in military .38 special cases.

I don't see any signs of that case being expanded.

Will it chamber?

You have a very small case capacity, be sure to start with a very small powder charge.

Thompsoncustom
08-29-2013, 09:28 PM

what are you doing with that, i like!

Well avg velocity out of a 4.75in barrel is 730ish fps so that's what I'm doing with it right now. Want to get up just over 750fps that way if I ever get around to shooting IDPA it makes minor.

guncheese
08-30-2013, 12:29 AM
"Will it chamber?" ohh yes thats why its so short

"You have a very small case capacity, be sure to start with a very small powder charge." well there isnt any room for powder thats real problem

i really looked at it as a joke, but i like shooting wadcutters or semis at least
i had gotten the 358-148 mold to cast for the Fair Lady's .357, but stuffed one into a 9mm case just to see what it would look like
and the powder volume was so low i couldnt resist making a joke about it
but now the gears are turning......

BD
08-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I once shot a Bullseye match next to a guy who was using a very lightly loaded .38 for the center fire portion. He was pretty excited when the line went "safe" and we started down to retrieve the targets as he couldn't see any holes in his, and assumed that meant they were all "in the black". He was astounded when we got to the targets, and there weren't any holes in his at all. On the way back he asked to see my target, thinking he had mistakenly shot across the lanes, but my holes were all clearly .45s. He asked "I wonder where the heck the bullets went?" About 10 feet out from the line I looked down and pointed to the floor and replied, "I think they're right here!" He's lucky he didn't stick one in the barrel as 15 feet was the farthest any of them flew.
BD

94Doug
08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
There was a "sort of" wad cutter made for the 9mm. Can't quite recall the number, but it had a real odd hump on the front side.

Doug

lwknight
08-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Cockroach thumper load. LOL!!

curiousgeorge
08-30-2013, 11:23 PM
You might actually be surprised by that load if the boolit is sitting on top of the powder.

Years ago I took a .38 case with 1.5 grs of Bullseye and I Lyman / Keith 170 gr SWC boolit. I seated the first case with the boolit in the crimp groove (normal length), then the second one over the driving band, and so on until the last one had the nose even with the case mouth.

I then proceded to load and shoot them in a 6.5" Ruger stainless .357 Blackhawk (somehow I was much braver in my 20's than I am in my 50's). The first shell sounded like nothing more than a "pop", but every one got louder and showed a little more pressure. The last one with the boolit even with the case mouth sounded like a magnum going off and flattened the primer big time.

Moral of story -- you don't know what will happen until you pull the trigger and seating depth definitely matters especially if you are on the upper end of the load (but maybe not with .2 grain).

Let us know how it works.

Steve

41 mag fan
08-31-2013, 05:03 PM
If anything, you'll get a good cast of your bore after you pound it out.

pergoman
08-31-2013, 05:19 PM
The Lee 105 semi wadcutter (supposedly intended for 38's) works great in many of my 9mm's. The holes look like they were made by a paper punch when I use them in bullseye matches. Yes, they are that accurate that I have used them for the centerfire match. It all started as a crazy experiment and turned into a great working load.

guncheese
09-01-2013, 12:19 AM
ya know Pergoman
i was looking at that bullet
im kind of a fan of 147gr rnfp
but i might give that one a try
and i can use it in the Fair Lady's .357 as well

truckjohn
09-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I would try chambering it before you whip up any more... I found that full wadcutters don't chamber right in Autos most of the time... and single-loading semi autos by prying rounds out of the mag with a little bitty screwdriver is no fun....

Thanks

Jal5
09-01-2013, 01:37 PM
That lee 105 SWC is one of my favorites in 9mm for S&W MP Shield

Crash_Corrigan
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Many years ago I had a Lee Loadmaster press. A total ***! I went blue after that. Anyhow I had made up some 9 MM rounds and I went to the range with a buddy of mine. He had a Smith Model 39 single stack semi auto. He was firing off a string and the gun went pop instead of BANG. He stopped at that point as I was laughing so hard. The boolit cleared the end of the barrel and had fallen about 5 feet in front of him. Apparently I had not thrown a charge of powder and all that velocity came from the primer.

We had to fool around with this. We made up some more rounds w/o powder and substituted chalk powder from a container of line chalk and added some to each casing. They all worked great. A great big cloud of blue chalk powder and the boolit ended up within 10 feet of the muzzle. Cleaning the gun very well after that was mandatory but it was great fun.

Thompsoncustom
09-01-2013, 08:57 PM
U get to testing this beast yet? Sent you a PM Guncheese