PDA

View Full Version : Radial arm saw help

abunaitoo
08-29-2013, 12:05 AM
This place seems to have people with a bunch of knowledge. Hope someone can help.
Was cutting wood for target frames. Saw just stopped. Craftsman 11323100.
I'm thinking it might have be the thermo switch.
Let it cool down, but it didn't start.
Removed the cover, cleaned out all the saw dust, checked the wires.
Everything seems to be good. Capacitor test good. Start switch test good. I think the motor test good.
Only thing I could find, that I think is bad, is the thermo switch.
Three terminals. Wires- (1) Black from power cord, (2) Orange from motor, (3) Blue & Brown from start switch and motor.
Continuity between 2 and 3. Nothing between 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.
Switch is not avalible. Discontinued.
Any ideas on what might work?????

runfiverun
08-29-2013, 12:42 AM
you could try jumping the switch just to see if that is really it.
if so and it isn't available, a replacement could be fashioned from another source.

bangerjim
08-29-2013, 12:46 AM
FIRST........Take the blade off!!!!!!!!

You shold have a 4th white wire in there somewhere for the return. That may be open. You cannot test the motor without tapping into that white wire! You gotta have that white wire in there somewhere! The motor will not run without it. And it will not be swtihed or probably on a terminal block.

Do you have a test meter? Check for 120 v and continuity in the power cord

Then using a "cheater cord" hook up to the motor wires with 120v. Quickly plug the cheater in to see if the motor hums or turns. This is probably a capacitor run motor. No brushes?

If the motor starts or hums, you will have to figure out where your open circuit is. I really think you have an open winding. It happens from vibration.....not often.....but it happens.

If it does nothing, you have a good target for shooting at.

Good luck! Post what you find.

bangerjim

MaryB
08-29-2013, 01:17 AM
My sears radial arm saw has brushes and one of the covers likes to vibrate loose.

mroliver77
08-29-2013, 04:19 AM
MaryB, you continually amaze me! I admire ladies that are capable and mechanically inclined.
J

Echo
08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
+1 for admirable ladies!

Silver Eagle
08-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Thermo switches on radial arm saws are a pain. If the saw stops due to a jam or stoppage let it cool down and then press the tripped thermo switch until you feel it click. One may have to press very firmly to feel the click.
If you cannot get it to click, wait a while and try again.
Never had to replace a failed one so, cannot help on diagnosis or replacement info.

unclogum bill
08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Since you know how to test capacitor you have skills. Tell you a story.Years back a motel wing went dark in the hall way. I'm called in figuring its the breaker, Its not, Working from there two hours later I hit it. Some kid had unscrewed all the bulbs in the hall just to drive me nuts. Lesson , think simple first. Check the power to the cord. (plug, wire) and check the on off switch. For parts get on the web. Ebay Amazon and Google up a company called Graingers. Don't touch nothing with out thinking twice, keeps the fingers intact. Good luck.

C.F.Plinker
08-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Check the panel breaker for that circuit. If your saw is in the garage like mine is, check the ground fault interrupter on the circuit also. It can trip and shut off the power to the saw and still have the panel breaker "on". The GFI for my garage circuit is a GFI outlet in the bathroom.

montana_charlie
08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Only thing I could find, that I think is bad, is the thermo switch.
Three terminals. Wires- (1) Black from power cord, (2) Orange from motor, (3) Blue & Brown from start switch and motor.
Continuity between 2 and 3. Nothing between 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.
Switch is not avalible. Discontinued.
Any ideas on what might work?????
Is it designed to reset automatically after it cools?
Or, (more likely) does it need to be pressed to reset it?

If it needs 'pressing', it may need a strong one.

CM

MtGun44
08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
I have seen motors with a manual reset on overtemp. Find a (usually
deeply recessed) button and push it until it resets.

Bill

unclogum bill
08-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Here's another thought or two: google up" You tube " Type in the box "Craftsman table saw repair" There will be dozens of clips and one might solve the problem. Me I would by pass the switch and go on sawing if I could. Also just cause craftsman doesn't carry part , don't count out Ebay, They sell new and discontinued items as well. Last thought. Few days back Costco had saws for I believe $229. folding legs and wheels. Good price for an occasional user.

abunaitoo
08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank's y'all.
I have removed the blade. First thing I did.
Next I tested to see where I loss power. One of those, beeping/flashing, no touch probes.
Took the "Protector" ont and tested it. DOA.
Connected all the wires going to the "Protector" together.
IT"S ALIVE!!!!!
Now I just have to find a new "Protector".
Sears shows "No longer avalible".
Did search ebay, Amazon, Grainger. Nothing. Will try a google later.
Name and number on the back.
Klixon CGJ65EB
Hard to find stuff on these island. Might have to order it. Any suggestions on where????

montana_charlie
08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Name and number on the back.
Klixon CGJ65EB
Hard to find stuff on these island. Might have to order it. Any suggestions on where????
http://www.carbonbrush.com/klixonCEandCG.htm

Scroll down to the 'CGJ' prefix, then click the dropdown arrow to select the CGJ65EB part to put it in your 'cart'.

Cost is $28.50 before shipping, and they will even take PayPal.

CM

MtGun44
08-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Get the manual reset, probably will be more reliable. Of course, it
depends on whether the button would be accessible or not. May have
to drill a hole.

Bill

MaryB
08-30-2013, 12:36 AM
I have all kinds of fun power tools :D live alone and remodeled this house one bit at a time as I could afford it. Was a $500 tax auction and pretty much a wreck when I got it. Wiring, plumbing, insulate, side, gut the interior and drywall after insulating... only thing I haven't done is the roof and that I will hire out.

abunaitoo
08-30-2013, 02:33 AM
Had to order it from Arrowhead Electrical.
All most all the places, on island, I called didn't even know what I was talking about.

Mal Paso
08-31-2013, 10:22 AM
I have all kinds of fun power tools :D live alone and remodeled this house one bit at a time as I could afford it. Was a $500 tax auction and pretty much a wreck when I got it. Wiring, plumbing, insulate, side, gut the interior and drywall after insulating... only thing I haven't done is the roof and that I will hire out.

Way to go!

I have just enough tools now to do most of my projects. I have Chop Saws, Sliders, Table Saws, 3 Chain Saws, but Radial Arm Saws still scare me.