PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota teenager bitten by timber wolf

bassnbuck
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
This happened last weekend about 30 miles west of here. I cant seem to get the link [computer illiterate]. Go to startribune.com for full story.

oneokie
08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Saw part of a blurb on Fox News this morning.

starmac
08-28-2013, 11:55 PM
A wolf attacked a guy on a moving snowmachine up here last year.

leeggen
08-29-2013, 12:02 AM
t sidetrack at timber. Was just last year the one writter for Noth American Hunting killed the hugh wolf in Canada. Seems they are growing in leaps and bouns in some areas. Elk herds are shrinking, claims are the wolfs are feasting on them in raeas also.

Iowa Fox
08-29-2013, 12:04 AM
The animals of all kinds are so thick here if we were pioneers we would starve to death because they are eating everything or digging the place to shreds. I have been telling my wife for the last few years "The old guys had everything shot out for a reason".

Echo
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
A lady walking her dog here yesterday was attacked by several javelinas, dang near in the middle of town! They have really poor eyesight, but a good sniffer, and tend to be pugnacious - and have tusks. She & pooch escaped with minor cuts & scrapes.

prsman23
08-29-2013, 10:27 AM
That's how it starts. Guys get ready for the werewolf apocalypse. Start melting all your silver and casting some boolits!

Smitty's Retired
08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
:holysheep:guntootsmiley:
That's how it starts. Guys get ready for the werewolf apocalypse. Start melting all your silver and casting some boolits! You just made me spit out some of my coffee.

prsman23
08-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I know. It's frightening. The good news is that we have a heads up and are prepared.

USAFrox
08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Dangit, I was just about to post about it being a werewolf. You beat me to it! Guess great minds thing alike (and ours do, too!).

jcwit
08-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Any word yet if the wolf was rabid?

Sensai
08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
I get chastized for saying it, but, our forefathers on all the continents had good reason to kill the larger carnivores in the regions that they wanted to settle in. Those reasons are just as valid now as they were then. It's better to be the top of the food chain than lunch!

waksupi
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I've been going back and forth with a wolf lover in Illinois. She is actually quite conservative,and pro-gun. Here are some highlights of the discussion:

Her; Must have been rabid

Me; How comforting.

Her; No wolf in his right mind would attack a human; only one crazy with rabies--I am sure it will be what they find when they test the wolf that attacked. I am sure the kid is on a series of rabies shots anyway just to be sure.

Me; Kathy, you are full of **** on this subject. Just to make it even though, we are removing all law enforcement from Illinois, and encouraging the gang members to take over the small towns. They can kill and deal drugs with immunity. After all, it is just natural for them.

Her; Ric, what is **** about a rabid wolf? There have been no credible attacks on humans in America by wolves that were not rabid. And, Chicago is a world unto itself; the strictest gun control in the state, and that is what they get. I'd much rather trade you all the Chicago gangbangers for all the wolves in your state. Our state would be a lot more peaceful. And, you would regret the transaction! Evil humans with guns are far worse than any wild animal.

Me; Nope, can't have it both ways. The gang bangers are just expanding their territory for fresh prey. And all of the wolf attacks have not been by rabid wolves. Even if they were, now rabid wolves are good thing?

Her; Not a good thing. I'd still take all your wolves, rabid or not, over Chicago gangbangers any day. You can have the evil humans, I'll take the wild predators. You'd have the worst of the bargain.

Me; Nope, don't work that way. People let the gang bangers in without fighting back. We are fighting back.

Her; Yeah, I'd let you fight back against the gangbangers, and we'll take the wolves without killing them.

Me; Why don't you want the gang bangers?

Her; You seriously have to ask?

Me; No more silly than your support of wolves. I don't have gang bangers in my back yard, so I fully support their feral ways. They aren't bothering me, and I find them rather romantic to have around. Kind of like pissed off Blackfeet in the old days, isn't it? I think it is good to have the feral animals of all kinds around. I may want to go take pictures of them some time, or listen to them howl. You can go to Alaska for wolves, I could go to Chicago to see gangs in their natural habitat to see how they bring down their prey. I'm sure that would be most entertaining, and it would make me feel good about myself.

Her; That's idiotic. Wolves don't break down your door or shoot you on the streets. Humans are far more dangerous than any wild animal, whether it is lions in Africa or crocodiles in Australia. You decided to live in the wild, which is the only place large animals can live. Come to Chicago to see the gangbangers in action, and you will likely get yourself killed. They would love to go after white tourists from Montana. I would live with wolves any day over evil humans.

Me; Let's see. They are coming into yards and farms. When I decided to live here, there were no wolves. I think it is only fair that gang bangers move into your town, after all they just haven't had the opportunity to expand their range yet. I surprised under these similar circumstances you are against having alpha predators move where you live. I think it could be argued that the minorities in the gangs come from warrior societies, and are simply reverting back to their roots. Who are you to stand in their way? If you don't want to be hypocritical, you should support them as much as you support the wolves.

Rick Hodges
08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Waksupi,
You are applying logic and common sense to the problem. You loose because you don't speak the correct language. There is no logic nor reason there, only emotions and "feelings". If you haven't noticed there is no reasoning with a person who "feels" that they are right.

Here in Michigan, State foresters have taken to carrying side arms after one got treed for 6 hrs. by an alpha male wolf he stumbled upon. At least two people were killed by wolves in N. America last year....more will follow.

It is amazing how arrogant people are. There is a reason our forefathers tried to eradicate the wolves...and it was not based on superstition and legend.

When you ship the gal from Illinois the wolves....include a bunch of prairie dogs to "aerate" her lawn.

bassnbuck
08-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Maybe the gangbangers are an ''endangered'' species. They should be federally protected, also live trapped and stocked in more areas.;-)

prsman23
08-29-2013, 09:45 PM
See. Wolves are infecting people and other animals. Y'all thought I was joking!
:-)

bassnbuck
08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
The wolf that was trapped and killed did not have rabies according to university of Minnesota report. DNA testing is being done to try and determine if this was the wolf that bit the boy.-Startribune.com

Hamish
08-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Only a dullard with zero understanding of predators would fail to recognize that sneaking up and taking prey by the skull/throat is healthy predatorial behavior.

randyrat
08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
75 pound Wolf is about half size for a healthy full grown male..They are getting much bigger then that by their tracks..They make your hair stand up when you walk in on a trail and find Wolf tracks over yours on your way back.

Have you ever seen how intimidating 150 lb dog is, now take a 150 lb wild animal that hunts for a living and you will be really intimidated. I've only seen a couple, but lots of tracks, unbelievably long between first and last step. Wow, you never leave your kids unattended for even a second. I'm not sure everyone knows how serious this is. This indecent maybe will wake people up to the realization Wolves can eat you or your kids.