PDA

View Full Version : found another GREAT Post office to use

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-28-2013, 06:33 PM
First let me say, I really like my hometown Post Office.

Once in a while, I do work projects in another town close by. So when I need to ship something out on those days, I use that Post Office. I've never had any problem, and the Postmaster Lady is very nice, but I haven't shipped anything too heavy there....til today, I shipped two SFRB's full of alloy.

She asked what was in there, I told her casting alloy, I figure I didn't need to get too detailed. She asked if it was a liquid alloy, I said it is after it's heated above 600º. She laughed and said OK, then asked what I cast with it. I told her "Boolits". :castmine:

The next thing she said blew me away, "My Mom and I shoot at Cowboy Action shoots and my Mom reloads all our ammo using cast boolits, we started using Round Nose 38's but now we prefer SWC's."

Anyway, I found my new Favorite Post office 8-)

This Postmaster Lady is about my age, so her mom can't be any younger then social security age. No mention of any husbands or anything. CAS is a unique hobby for a Mother/Daughter in that age group, IMHO. Maybe I need to find out if this Postmaster Lady is married ?

Anyway, it was a good day !

JeffinNZ
08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Good to hear there are a few well informed people around.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I would have like to have seen your face when she said that!

hardy
08-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Do we all get a wedding invite,LOL .....Mike

Blacksmith
08-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Next time you are in the PO see if you can recruit one or two as members here, we can always use a couple more pistol packing mommas.

starnbar
08-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Go easy there young man you might end up as the chief cook and bottle washer including the designated master reloader for the whole family but, if she is good looking and can shoot who cares?

rodok
08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
I am a mailman and do collections (pickup the blue boxes and a small post office in a convenience store), I pick up brass and lead cast bullets being shipped all the time, it is so funny because any of us carriers know when you receive bullets or lead because we handle it all the time and it is so heavy and I do know in my post office there are 3 of us that cast and about half of us shoot .

-Rod

Zymurgy50
08-30-2013, 09:11 AM
A few years back I was involved in a project where we were replacing old 3 axis torching robots, each one had between 300-350 pounds of pure lead bricks for counterweights. I was able to bring home +/- 1200 pounds of the lead. Melted it down and cast into 1 pound ingots, was selling them on Flebay and shipping 50+ pounds in a MFRB. After dropping off the first box at the local PO counter the petite lady (about 5'2", maybe 110# soaking wet) behind the counter would open the door to the back and let me carry the boxes back to the outgoing mail shelf.

Echo
08-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Maybe I need to find out if this Postmaster Lady is married ?

I was driving out of my subdivision the other day, and saw a woman carrying a package, walking. I stopped next to her and asked if she was walking because she wanted to, or because she had to. She replied the it helped her arthritis. I said I would be glad to drive her wherever she was going. She said that was nice, but not necessary. Then she asked if I was single... I replied, Yes, but I have a GF, and besides, I'm too old for you. She replied, Well, I'm nearly 70. >I< replied, I'm nearly 80, smiled, and drove off.
Point being - ask her.

Hardcast416taylor
08-30-2013, 11:42 AM
The small Post Office near me is well aware of my malady. When ever I take a FRB in to mail the only question I`m asked is usually the one about is it loaded ammo? When I`m getting a box, my friendly mail carrier "Alvin" will run it up to my house and not leave it in the mail box. We chat about game seen on their routes, guns we`ll be using come fall, loads for said guns and who will let people hunt on their property. A small bit of old time Americana that is fast disappearing.Robert

km101
08-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Doesn't seem to be as much about the Post Office as it is about the Post Mistress! But they both might be a great find! Go for it! At the least you might find a new shooting buddy, and who knows what else may develop.

:Fire: