PDA

View Full Version : Save your joints - eat broccoli?

MtGun44
08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Interesting article. The fact that multiple tests showed it worked to stop cartilage
damage means they are starting a test on humans with bad knees.

I have managed to keep my bad knee in service for a lot longer than the docs
predicted, and just by coincidence, we eat a lot of broccoli. I wonder if there
is a connection? My knee was damaged in an accident decades ago, and is
not like the other one, but still works pretty well for everyday stuff.

If you are having joint problems - might help to add broccoli, brussel sprouts
and cabbage to the diet. I actually like the first two and am OK with cabbage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403522/How-broccoli-stop-onset-arthritis-Compound-food-slow-destruction-joints.html

Bill

popper
08-28-2013, 10:24 AM
broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage Cauliflower too? Hope they make pills with sulforaphane in em cause I don't eat that other stuff. They aren't on my accepted list of veggies. Cabbage makes you grow a cast iron stomach. If you can digest it without blowing up, you can handle anything.

MtGun44
08-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Interesting. "if you can eat it without blowing up"???????? I have not a
clue what you mean. I eat all of these and don't "blow up". Do you get
gas from eating these? Never happened to me.

Maybe they will make pills with the sulforaphane, but sometimes it is not possible
to get the whole mix of what is doing the good stuff into a pill.

Bill

shdwlkr
08-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Glucosamine and chondroitin work for me and have for decades

Iowa Fox
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Thats good to hear as I love the stuff. Our broccoli is still producing in the garden plus we have a freezer full. Cabbage was also good this year, we made 30 lbs of sauerkraut and are still eating fresh. Cauliflower was a total crop failure, big plants but they didn't produce heads.

mikeym1a
08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Rub it in!!!! I like the stuff, have bad knees, and am on blood thinners for a blood clot in my leg. Can't have it, as it counteracts the blood thinner. They gave me the list, and it's all the green stuff I like. Life is unkind. I get treatment through the VA, and I'm scheduled to get some artificial viscous knee fluid, called synovial fluid. Three shoots, 1/wk/knee for 3 weeks. For a while, It's like I have new knees. Hope this blood thinner doesn't counteract that. EAT THE BROCCOLI!!!!! :D

41 mag fan
08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Hmmm...after a yr and 1/2 and 3 knee surgeries later and still not doing good....I think i'll ramp up the veggies. If it works...what the hey....as I like them anyways.

Rub it in!!!! I like the stuff, have bad knees, and am on blood thinners for a blood clot in my leg. Can't have it, as it counteracts the blood thinner. They gave me the list, and it's all the green stuff I like. Life is unkind. I get treatment through the VA, and I'm scheduled to get some artificial viscous knee fluid, called synovial fluid. Three shoots, 1/wk/knee for 3 weeks. For a while, It's like I have new knees. Hope this blood thinner doesn't counteract that. EAT THE BROCCOLI!!!!! :D

Had that synovial fluid...chicken snot, rooster comb...as its called. Worked for me for about 2 mo, then it's slowly went south. That was my left knee, bet by early next year my right knee will be getting it.
ohh....just an FYI...mine burned like h*ll when they injected me.

mroliver77
08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
I had a stroked and bored out 59 Sportster as a youngun. It did not like to start! Even retarding the timing a bunch it would cough once in a while and a few times it hyper-extended my right knee. I worked a very physical job most of my life and that knee pains me a lot.
I eat lots of cruciferous veggies and that might have kept me upright this long! More studying! :)

DougGuy
08-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Bill, down here in the South we often cook greens with a little of that down home soul food style, with stuff like fatback and onions and garlic, but I stumbled on a really good way to cook cabbage one day by accidentally letting some kielbasa burn in the cast iron skillet.

I had been making cabbage and kielbasa, I cut the kielbasa in 3" long sections and then cut those in half, and browned them in cast iron. Well, I didn't pay them close enough attention and many of the pieces blackened themselves on one side. I used them anyway, and deglazed the pan with cabbage juice, scraping all the burned bits off and adding it back to the cabbage pot. Oh My! The flavors of that kielbasa, when it was blackened and caramelized, worked wonders. We made it since then, and it has to be the right sausage, and unless they get a bit blackened, it doesn't bring out that caramelized goodness and it wasn't the same..

Cabbage, vidalia onion, blackened kielbasa, a good shake of Sylvia's Chicken Rub, and some salt to taste.

MtGun44
08-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Sounds pretty good to me! Vidalia onions are great! Used to live in
N central Florida and we could get them there, and sometimes folks
wouid take orders and drive up or small businessmen would take a
pickup up to Vidalia and get a whole load to sell by the road.

I put a bit of balsamic vinegar on the heads of steamed broccoli
and find it really kicks up the flavor for me. Sad to hear that these veggies are
verboten with blood thinners. I don't take blood thinners. Sad to say,
but after about 20 years of age, the name of the game is "preserve the
machinery" as best you can. And I do take glucosamine and chondroitin
and it has definitely improved my bad knee.

Bill

starmac
08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Try cutting a head of cabbage in quarters, wrap with bacon and then tinfoil. grill it on the barbeque.

richhodg66
08-28-2013, 10:51 PM
I love broccoli and eat it often. It seems every time I open the news, there's another real good thing broccoli does for your body.

I retired from the Army last year and many, many guys who put in that career have bad knees. Mine ain't perfect, but I can still walk with the best of them, longer and faster than most. I wonder of liking broccoli had anything to do with it?

popper
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Mtngun - yea, that stuff makes everyone stay away from me. Cucumbers are as bad but pickles are great, can't take onions either. Couldn't eat tomatoes until a few years back. Glucosamine and chondroitin didn't work for me. Left calf swoll up big time 6 mo ago, after 2 sonograms they decided I had a sinovial fluid leak. I think it fixed itself. Right knee has been bad since I was a kid, surprised it still works. 15 yrs ago doc told me he could only replace it due to my age. Dad tried the fluid replacement but it didn't last - he was bone on bone but still tried to play golf. He loved all that green stuff. Go figure. After I got off the rat poison I can now eat spinach again, go Popeye.

MtGun44
08-29-2013, 01:41 PM
popper -

You might try some of the probiotics out there. I think the issue is the wrong kind of
gut bacteria "helping" you. Many probiotics have the "right kind" of gut bacteria and
can restart the system.

I was hospitalized for many months back in the 1970s and ate a bland diet from the
hospital. I could not eat onions without really bad gas for almost a year afterwards,
and before I went in, onions were not any kind of a problem. I think my "onion helper"
bacteria starved to death and I had to slowly establish a new colony before I could
deal with onions again. Never had any problems with onions after I got past it,
and eat them all the time.

There are some serious disorders that require a "gut bacteria transplant" to cure, and
you don't EVEN want to know how that is accomplished!

Look for probiotics and give them a try. Folks that know more than I do about this stuff
tell me that this is a much overlooked part of GI tract health.

Bill

popper
08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I take the probiotic stuff, have been for a year or so, did the yogurt thing too. Wife was trained in dietetics so I get lots of advice on what and how to eat. It's my body's problem, slowly changing as coconut doesn't bother me much now. Jalapenos don't bother me, I made the mistake of eating a quart of them with saltines in the 80s. Big mistake. Got my copy DD214 last week. At 18 I was 5'11" and 140#. I blame it on gravity - the 60# of accumulated grey matter has slid down to my beltline.

ryan28
08-29-2013, 07:58 PM
A bonus for bullet casters is those rubber bands on the broccoli bunches. Perfect for holding molds together.:-)

btroj
08-29-2013, 08:21 PM
I will take bad knees over eating broccoli. The that stuff. Yuck

DougGuy
08-30-2013, 08:32 PM
FWIW, Glucosamine Hydrochoride (which compromises about 90% of the available supplies on store shelves) has been proven that the body will rarely absorb enough of it to do any good. Glucosamine Sulfate, is the one you want, it is readily absorbed.