PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube

ssn vet
10-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube

Is this stuff any good?

does it work better than the carbon from wood match smoke?

does it work to lube the sprue plates well?

I'm considering buying it with my first ever bullet mold (aluminum Lee mold)

shooter93
10-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Drop out works well in the cavities. I use bull shop sprue plate lube for the sprue plate and alignment pins. I doubt you'll find anything that works better than it does....just don't get it in the cavities.

leftiye
10-20-2007, 09:15 PM
SSN,
If you use drop out, follow the instructions, AND spray it on a mold that is cold or at most warm to the touch. If the mold is too warm (hot) the spray bubbles, blus it dries real fast, and allows a build up to form. I prefer NEI mold prep, and better still a very clean mold that is seasoned (surface oxides are formed) with nothing on it. Like 93 said- if you use bullplate lube, don't over do it.

ssn vet
10-20-2007, 09:20 PM
hey thanks for the quick response...

any leads on where to get the Bullplate lube.....

they don't list it on Midway

44woody
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
look on the bottom of the page for the link to bullshop :castmine:44Woody

ssn vet
10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
:roll:

you mean right there in front of my face???

cool sight!

increadible pair of elk antlers on the photo page....

I guess the opportunity to live a frontier life is alive and well in AK

jtaylor1960
10-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I use NEI graphite mold prep.It works well in the cavities.A heavier lube probably works better on the top of the mold and sprue plate.I haven't used BULLPLATE but it sounds like it is popular with guys here on the forum.

jonk
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
The Midway stuff, even if applied cold, eventually builds up necessitating a start over; but until you reach that point it works pretty well.

georgewxxx
10-22-2007, 10:40 AM
It works quite well as a bullet lube also. If you don't want to size your boolits, and the mess of the finger method doesn't excite you or the lee shake and bake isn't your bag, spay it on and shoot ..Geo

Sundogg1911
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I have the Franford arsonal stuff, Ballisti-cast stuff, and a different brand (Can't remember who) They do ok, but if the boolits won't drop free I usually polish the cavitys by casting bullets, then I put a screw into the bullet, dip it in rubbing compount (the grit depends on how bad the mould is, usually they just need polish. Toothpaste works well too. then I cut off the screw head, but the screww in a drill, and polish the cavity with the boolit. Sometimes I use the drop-out for oversize bullets. It builds up and makes them smaller for easier sizing. I can't say enough about the bull plate lube. It's wonderful stuff! I use it on the metal to metal parts on my casting machine as well as sprue plates, hinges, and alignment pins. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold.