PDA

View Full Version : old booliteers and P-Wads, NECO

nekshot
08-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Has any of you fellas casting in the late 70's used P-Wads with the neco tool on flat bases and if you did how did you like or not like them?
nekshot

ku4hx
08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
You talk about dredging up old memories! I've haven't thought about those things in over forty years. I started casting in the early '70s and I do remember these. At the time I was shooting mostly 38 Special and 357 Magnum and was having pretty good success following Lyman's basic recommendations; I saw no need to deviate. Besides that, in the early days I was long on energy and enthusiasm but short on cash. I felt P-wads were an expense that didn't seem to get me anything I didn't already have.

JeffinNZ
08-27-2013, 06:24 PM
I make my own 'P wads' from LDPE (recycle mark 4). Just get a wad punch the right size and go nuts.

nekshot
08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Jeff, I am ignorant as to what LDPE is or the mark 4 thingy. Could you elaporate or are you pulling my leg? If you are thats ok I can take it and laugh to but I want to know how these p-wads worked for fellas. Some old casters that forgot more than most of us know (including myself) talked of using them but then I had no intention of going backwards in my reloading efforts so I didn't listen to them.

Pat I.
08-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Had a 6.5 PPC I was shooting a few years back and it wouldn't shoot without them. A lot of CBA match shooters swear by them.

Wayne Smith
08-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Jeff, I am ignorant as to what LDPE is or the mark 4 thingy. Could you elaporate or are you pulling my leg? If you are thats ok I can take it and laugh to but I want to know how these p-wads worked for fellas. Some old casters that forgot more than most of us know (including myself) talked of using them but then I had no intention of going backwards in my reloading efforts so I didn't listen to them.

LDPE is the stuff the top of your Chinese carry out round plastic cartons are made of. It's a semi-soft plastic.

nekshot
08-28-2013, 06:59 AM
oh ok, that makes sence. I never thought of that stuff, thanks.

375RUGER
08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
low density polyethylene

JeffinNZ
08-28-2013, 06:38 PM

I wouldn't dream of pulling thy leg.

Low Density Polyethylene. You will most likely see it in the form of the 'plasitc' lid on coffee cans, baby formula etc. Look for a triangle symbol with a '4' in the middle. That is the recycling mark.

nekshot
08-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Never ceases to amaze me as to what I learn on this forum! Thanks Jeff