PDA

View Full Version : powder coating with gun? is it the best way?

capt.hollis
08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I have no luck shaking these bullets in a cup/jar? I've tried it all, and these things come out looking like a mess. So far from what I've tested the powder coat is the toughest I believe. This stuff is like armor, but I have to master this, and I hate being whipped, lol.
Thanks guys. I always appreciate the help, because I need plenty of it.

Echd
08-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I bought the HF gun and got great results the first time I used it.

Fired my first ones today and have no complaints.

capt.hollis
08-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Thank you Echd... What is your mixture with the gun ?
I bought the HF gun and got great results the first time I used it.

Fired my first ones today and have no complaints.

popper
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
The ES gun uses dry powder. Get the air pressure as low as you can.

Echd
08-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Thank you Echd... What is your mixture with the gun ?

I used HF brand red powder applied at about 12 PSI.

It's so easy and hassle free I can't imagine bothering with piglet and spray methods, especially since most are getting far superior results with powder.

bangerjim
08-27-2013, 12:45 AM
The HF or Eastwood guns are the only way to go. That shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop coating does NOT work. I have tired it every possible way and it leaves very lumpy, uneven, splotchy coats. And requires multiple coats and bakes.

Put only about an inch of powder in your gun jar! Keep the air pressure about 8-15#, put the small nose on the gun, and adjust the air flow knob on the gun for even gentle flow. The powder should flow out in an even stream, not in globs or lumps. There is very little waste. And at $5.50/# at HF, you cannot go wrong.

I use the gun with 110% success. All slugs are perfectly coated with just ONE coating/baking session. The coat is smooth and even. You can pound the slug flat from nose to base and the coating does not flake or crack off. If the lead splits (which it will do) the coating will separate.

The HF black is the best I have found. The yellow does not cover well over lead and you can see dark areas. Red works well but the finished carts look like lipstick! You can buy VERY expensive powders thru the mail, but after all, this is for ease of shooting, not a beauty pageant.

bangerjim

KYShooter73
08-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Only way to go....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method

Russel Nash
08-27-2013, 02:47 AM
The HF or Eastwood guns are the only way to go. That shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop coating does NOT work. I have tired it every possible way and it leaves very lumpy, uneven, splotchy coats. And requires multiple coats and bakes.

Put only about an inch of powder in your gun jar! Keep the air pressure about 8-15#, put the small nose on the gun, and adjust the air flow knob on the gun for even gentle flow. The powder should flow out in an even stream, not in globs or lumps. There is very little waste. And at $5.50/# at HF, you cannot go wrong.

I use the gun with 110% success. All slugs are perfectly coated with just ONE coating/baking session. The coat is smooth and even. You can pound the slug flat from nose to base and the coating does not flake or crack off. If the lead splits (which it will do) the coating will separate.

The HF black is the best I have found. The yellow does not cover well over lead and you can see dark areas. Red works well but the finished carts look like lipstick! You can buy VERY expensive powders thru the mail, but after all, this is for ease of shooting, not a beauty pageant.

bangerjim

In another thread, I tried to see how interested people would be in other powder coat besides powder buy the pound, but my idea got shot down. I guess being able to pay with a credit card from the conveinience of their home trumps any money I might be able to save them (shrugs shoulders). At the urging if another member here I finally got PayPal, and I thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. The first transaction went through to my surprise PayPal put a 21 day hold on it. Arghhh....

xacex
08-27-2013, 12:08 PM
"powder coating with gun? is it the best way?"

YES!

capt.hollis
08-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Thank You fellas !! I'll be ordering a gun soon . I have plenty of powder now, just no gun yet lol. Can't wait to get this going . I have a harbor freight about 30 miles from me so I may be making a b-line to it by this weekend. No more shake n bake for me , whatta mess.!

xacex
08-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Have fun! We are here if you need us.