PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex in a Beretta 92

jabilli
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm certain it's been done before, but for anyone curious:

After poking around online and mulling it over a while I decided to try a BP load for a semi auto (At least, a recoil operated pistol.)

I used Pyrodex "P"- I filled them almost to the brim, which turned out to be 9.2 grains. I figured the seating of the bullet should pack the load sufficiently.

Made 5, cycled and shot just fine. Of course, lots of soot, I just wish I had a girlfriend as dirty as the gun is right now. :-p

Pistol used: Beretta 92G (Some French army variant where they made the safety into a decocker.)

Bullets seated: Lee roundnoses from the TL356-124-2R. Actual weight was about 123 grains.

Cartridge OAL- 1.150"

mooman76
08-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Make your you tear that gun down all the way and clean it good and right away too or it will start to corrode very quickly. That's if you haven't already.

jabilli
08-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Yeah I've heard that BP/Substitutes can really chew into your gun if you don't clean it. Gave her a good bath. :-p Thanks ^^

Lead Fred
08-27-2013, 04:11 AM
An air gap with holy black will yet nasty results (like blowing up)

Tho Id NEvER use any substitute, I bet the result may be the same

Not only fill the case, compress it too

jabilli
08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
I've heard that a few times before (That having air in the cartridge can/will likely be catastrophic) If/when I make a batch of BP cartridges, I'll do as you suggest.

I'm unclear on how you mean you'd never use any substitute... Do you mean to say you'd only want to use real black powder? Or do you mean you'd never make a BP cartridge?

dondiego
08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
You did right by filling the case to the brim. Seating the bullet will compress the powder and ensure that you don't have an air gap. Do you have any idea of the velocity? Did they group well?

hhilljr
08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Check out Hickok45 on youtube. He's got a video of using BP in a Glock.

KCSO
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Pyrodex and a Beretta a match made in heaven.

rmcc
08-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Not meaning to offend, but.....how did this ever cross your mind?

bob208
08-27-2013, 03:43 PM
there was a video on you tube of a guy doing it with a 1911 in .45 auto.

I would not use pyrodex in anything. I would use real black powder.

Omnivore
08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah; I'd like to know the velocity, just out of curiousity, and whether you hit your target or the POI was way off. I'm guessing it would shoot high at very close range, then drop like crazy further out.

Someone did the same thing with an AR-15, and it functioned too. So I guess, to complete the cycle of silliness, we'd need to come up with a semi-auto muzzle loader. I figure it'd use paper cartridges, and of course it would have a veeery loooong stroke.

mooman76
08-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Not sure why you decided to try Pyrodex other than geewiz purposes. There are other powders that you can use to get the same effect without the corrosion. Blackhorn 209, 777 or even Trailboss. Trailboss is not a BP substitute but cowboy action shooters use it because it is about as close as you can get without being a substitute.

jabilli
08-31-2013, 08:59 AM
You did right by filling the case to the brim. Seating the bullet will compress the powder and ensure that you don't have an air gap. Do you have any idea of the velocity? Did they group well?
- I made 5 and was just trying for function test- I just shot into a hillside/dirt pile, though yes, I'm curious to see what kinda accuracy it gets.

Check out Hickok45 on youtube. He's got a video of using BP in a Glock.
I really dig his videos :-p

Not meaning to offend, but.....how did this ever cross your mind?

Haha no offense taken. :-) It was partly simple curiosity, and partly the thought that if SHTF (though I think it unlikely), It's a lot easier to procure the ingredients to make BP compared to smokeless.

Yeah; I'd like to know the velocity, just out of curiousity, and whether you hit your target or the POI was way off. I'm guessing it would shoot high at very close range, then drop like crazy further out.

Someone did the same thing with an AR-15, and it functioned too. So I guess, to complete the cycle of silliness, we'd need to come up with a semi-auto muzzle loader. I figure it'd use paper cartridges, and of course it would have a veeery loooong stroke.

I do have a chrono- I've got a day off tomorrow so maybe ill fiddle more. :-p

I saw a video on youtube where someone tried it in an AR, but he had to pull the charging handle for each shot. - Here's the link to that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kagMmjmExYU

jabilli
09-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Today, failure.

Loaded up 10 rounds, 9.5 grains this time. All misfed. Mis-ejected would probably be more accurate. Most of them are a failure to completely eject- the slide closes in on the improperly ejected case.

Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsCgLBhtbM8&feature=youtu.be

I think the chrono was picking up the smoke blast, or, something was making it not read. But one DID come through- 801 fps. Nothing to really write home to mother about...But just about what I was expecting to see.

Now I've got to try and figure out why the gun was cycling the other day and today it didn't. I'm thinking a difference in how I might've been holding the pistol, as nothing else really comes to mind.

Lead Fred
09-17-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm unclear on how you mean you'd never use any substitute... Do you mean to say you'd only want to use real black powder? Or do you mean you'd never make a BP cartridge?

A bud gave me a half can of pyrodex. I tired it in my flintlock, it really sucked.
Next I made 20 45/70 rounds out of it. Shot a few of them, took the rest apart.
I gave away the rest of it, and bought 25 pounds of Holy black.
Never have looked back

GARD72977
09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Today, failure.

Now I've got to try and figure out why the gun was cycling the other day and today it didn't. I'm thinking a difference in how I might've been holding the pistol, as nothing else really comes to mind.

Corrosion? Sorry could not help myself

waksupi
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Corrosion? Sorry could not help myself

Good guess.