PDA

View Full Version : 311332 "scraper groove" ?

Digger
08-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Have half a coffee can full of these cast up and have yet to send any down range in my Garand .
Thought I would throw this question out there .... what is the purpose of the "scraper groove" on the Lyman 311332 ? , as for the nick name scraper , it might be self explanatory.
In my 308 , it looks like the boolet will sit just past the lube groove for my c.o.l and the scraper will be quite a ways out and exposed .....
Just wanted to ask any of the folks out there that might have a clue or tidbit of info as to that particular design .
Thanks
digger

Larry Gibson
08-25-2013, 12:43 AM
In past years before modern lubes the scraper groove was intended to be the collection place for fouling scraped along in front of the front drive band. It is not needed with todays lubes and powders. It is a potential weak place in any cast bullet intended to be pushed to higher psl and velocity, especially with bullets having a long bore riding nose.

Larry Gibson

Digger
08-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Much appreciate the explanation there Mr. Gibson ....was hoping you would catch the question here as I had read in another thread where you had titled it a scraper groove.
Really enjoy learning about about the intricacy's of the designs here and there.
Thanks again.
digger

44man
08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
A scraper groove was put on a few BP boolits but once the huge amount of fouling is thought of, it has little use.