PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my Dutch Oven

Jon
08-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Well that was a first. I had just poured a full load of range scrap into the dutch oven, an went inside for a bit to let it cook. When I got back out there it was dripping lead out the bottom.

Maybe I moved it around a little too hard, but I didn't think I was too rough on it, and had just ladled out 30lbs or so of lead before refilling it.

Would filling it up by dumping a bucket of lead in be too hard on it?

I guess I can try my brazing skills on it while I find a replacement.

500MAG
08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Must be one of the jap ones

NineInchNails
08-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Very strange for sure. What brand name was it ... Just curious.

Mk42gunner
08-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Glad no one got hurt. It was for just this scenario that I built my smelting pot out of 8" steel pipe.

Robert

Jon
08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I'd build one out of pipe, but it's a bit hard to come by around here. I may try the old propane cylinder pot conversion. At least I have plenty of ingots to cast from.

shadowcaster
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I'd build one out of pipe, but it's a bit hard to come by around here. I may try the old propane cylinder pot conversion. At least I have plenty of ingots to cast from.

I used a steel rim when I built my bottom pour smelter.

Shad

hamholfarm
08-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Shad,
Could you explain what type of rim and how you did it - any pics?

Thanks,

Chip

shadowcaster
08-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Shad,
Could you explain what type of rim and how you did it - any pics?

Thanks,

Chip

Sure, no problem.. The rim I used is from a forklift. The guy at the tire shop gave it to me. It was headed to the scrap pile because the tire was worn out and glued on. After removing the rubber I welded on a steel plate bottom followed by a "Shad Style Bottom Pour Valve".

Here is a pic and a link to my whole setup.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?146065-New-bottom-pour-smelting-pot!&highlight=bottom+pour+smelting+pot

Shad

John Allen
08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Shadowcaster that is a nice pot. How are you guys making the valve?

shadowcaster
08-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Shadowcaster that is a nice pot. How are you guys making the valve?

I designed the "Shad Style Bottom Pour Valve" to be simple but very effective. It is basically a plunger style that gives the operator complete control through a threaded shaft. Due to the many questions and inquiries, I'll be doing a write up on my valve design soon.

The link in post #8 will give you the basic idea.

Shad

MattOrgan
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
My valve is simply a 7/8 inch rod with a 45 degree or so truncated cone filed on it. The tapered end of the rod fits in a 5/8 inch hole in the bottom of my pot. My pot is made from a piece of 11" diameter stainless steel tubing with a 3/16" mild steel bottom. I welded a square of 1/4 inch steel where the spout is to have a thicker area to chamfer the 5/8 inch hole with a 7/8 inch dril bit. This makes a good seal or plug that allows the weight of the handle to keep it closed. I have no leaks or drips. The spout is a piece of 1/2 inch pipe. I lengthened the spout because I smelt outside and on windy days the long drop would spray around a bit. The pot is mounted on a turkey frier. The pot holds about 90 pounds of lead and the frier frame supports it well. The only problem is having enough ingot molds to keep things going constantly. If my pot didn't have a couple inches of lead in it I could take it apart to show how it was done, would make this simpler.

220swiftfn
08-27-2013, 02:42 AM
Well that was a first. I had just poured a full load of range scrap into the dutch oven, an went inside for a bit to let it cook. When I got back out there it was dripping lead out the bottom.

Maybe I moved it around a little too hard, but I didn't think I was too rough on it, and had just ladled out 30lbs or so of lead before refilling it.

Would filling it up by dumping a bucket of lead in be too hard on it?

I guess I can try my brazing skills on it while I find a replacement.

Heated cast iron doesn't get along well with impact, which is why you're not supposed to tap the side of the pot with your ladle or skimmers either. Glad it didn't completely let go on you, and it sounds like there was no real damage done.

Dan

Sasquatch-1
08-27-2013, 06:52 AM
If you haven't already made a pot out of a propane tank, try using an old refridgerant tank. I have one that I can easily do 35 to 50 lbs in and I got the tank free from an AC repair guy.

Jon
08-28-2013, 02:00 PM
I haven't made a replacement yet, but a friend of mine has an old 20lb propane tank he's willing to part with. We have a long weekend coming up, and hopefully, I'll get a chance to do some smelting. I have a 200lbs or so of scrap to process. :D

The bottom pour looks really handy. I know that my 1/2lb ladle takes forever to empty the pot, and I need more molds. It's funny how we get in this to save money, but all the upgrades end up costing money. :lovebooli

turmech
08-28-2013, 03:13 PM
If you haven't already made a pot out of a propane tank, try using an old refridgerant tank. I have one that I can easily do 35 to 50 lbs in and I got the tank free from an AC repair guy.
I have no doubt Sasquatch made a good one from a refrigerant tank. I would however guess it was an older one or a refrigerant reclaim tank. The new refrigerant tanks are really thin and I could not see them making a good smelting pot. To get an idea of how thin the steel is the 30 lb tanks weigh less than 5 lbs empty. That weight is with the valve assembly and protective shielding around the valve.

Sasquatch-1
08-28-2013, 06:08 PM
It was from a guy doing work at my house last year. The tank is probably about an 1/8 of an inch at a guess. It is steel and I fill it about half way with lead without a problem. The tank was cut at the weld seam. It will hold more but that all I put in when I have to skim jackets and dirt. I also have a cast iron skillet and a thin wall SS stock pot that I use. Just picked up a cast iron Lodge tea pot that is pretty rusty, but haven't had a chance to use it.

shadowcaster
08-28-2013, 06:56 PM
The bottom pour looks really handy. I know that my 1/2lb ladle takes forever to empty the pot, and I need more molds. It's funny how we get in this to save money, but all the upgrades end up costing money.

The "SSBPV" is super easy to make and for only a few bucks. I rarely ladle my ingots anymore.

Shad

turmech
08-28-2013, 07:09 PM
It was from a guy doing work at my house last year. The tank is probably about an 1/8 of an inch at a guess. It is steel and I fill it about half way with lead without a problem. The tank was cut at the weld seam. It will hold more but that all I put in when I have to skim jackets and dirt. I also have a cast iron skillet and a thin wall SS stock pot that I use. Just picked up a cast iron Lodge tea pot that is pretty rusty, but haven't had a chance to use it.Sounds like the modern disposable refrigerant tank to me. I toss one out every week or two (when it is hot out at least). Maybe I need to rethink that and cut one down as a spare pot. I guess they just seem so flimsy to me. Per requirements we are suppose to punch a hole in them when tossing them out. I can typically just knock the valve off (ripping the tank metal) with a set of lineman’s pliers.