PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Tape?

Ehaver
08-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Any thought on the use of teflon tape?

Just a thought that came to mind... I do not know if it could take the heat or not, but it seems like it would be really easy to patch a boolit this way.

Nobade
08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Try the search function - there has been loads of discussion on the topic. A few swear by it, most swear at it.

-Nobade

brstevns
08-24-2013, 07:20 PM
I once asked the same question. You could do a search under my members name. I tried it and it did work for me for use in a 45/70. I did run the tape or patched bullet thru a lube sizer after it was patched. Was getting 2400 fps with a Lee 255gr 45 cal pistol bullet from my cousins 45/70 Siamese conversion with 1 inch groups at 100 yards,

barrabruce
08-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Arrghhh so you borrowed some one else's gun to try it out....

Hell I'm way to dumb to think of that!!!!

Buggar

brstevns
08-25-2013, 09:15 AM
I am getting Older but not Dumber!![smilie=l: I also tried them in my Marlin GG worked alright but I shoot a heavier bullet and just PP them for the Marlin.

pdawg_shooter
08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
I tried teflon tape once...never again ! What a mess. Strings of tape every where, even in the action. Spent near 2 hours scrubbing lead out of the bore.

brstevns
08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
I think the secret is to size them thru a sizer die then lube will doing so. This worked well for me, without leading and the tape strings as you mentioned. Like I said it worked for me, but this does not mean it will work for someone else.

ReloaderEd
08-26-2013, 01:43 AM
If you learn to wrap the tape propery it will work with decent accurcey

Ehaver
09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the search function comments. They warm my heart.

I would think that it would help to wrapp the tape in the opposite direction of the rifiling grooves, just like using it on piping..

jhalcott
09-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Teflon tape does work. It's applied the same as a paper patch,2 wraps. I can no longer do it due to arthritis and carpal tunnel. I've tried applying it then sizing the bullets and sizing then taping. I tried it in quite a few calibers from .223 to 45-70 with great results usually. I've never had strings in the action of my guns. It is a bit of a hassle to wrap correctly because it is so thin. It also has a lot of static that grabs you if you aren't watching. It stretches quite a bit.

eljefeoz
09-09-2013, 05:27 AM
what width of tape?
i have patched 7mm and also .308 to .314
yet to try it out
problem is my tape is the regular 1/2 inch width and 2 turns will NOT cover as much of the ogive as recommended or is possible with paper.
Any advice?
NOPE I cant get tape broader than that.
TIA

montana_charlie
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the search function comments. They warm my heart.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001951264366462437169%3Aggn3vg-bjum&ie=UTF-8&q=teflon+tape#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=teflon%20tape&gsc.page=1

Nobade
09-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Since this has been discussed (and cussed) at great length, it seemed more appropriate to direct you to look at what has been said rather than go over it again. The point is, it has been done. It sometimes works. It is never used in competition for a very good reason. If you want to try it, knock yourself out. But people use paper for a reason - it works.

-Nobade

pdawg_shooter
09-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Life is complicated enough without trying to reinvent the wheel. Paper works and has for better than 150 years. It is cheap, plentiful, and easy to work with. Why screw with perfection?

jhalcott
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
All my rolls are 3/4" and regular PIPE tape. There is/was a tape for GAS fittings that never seemed to work like the PIPE type did. When I worked in the mill, we had 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch rolls for various size pipes. The ENDS of the wraps should be in the same place (like a paper patch), not over lapping. I have used Teflon with and without gas checks. The GC were used with 1/2" rolls on longish bullets. The GC held the base end of the tape and the forward end was over the curve. I often wonder how many PAPER patches are found just in front of the shooting bench. I have found some shredded Teflon tape there, and SOME still attached by the GC, in the bales I used as test media. I have found little difference in accuracy of PROPERLY applied patches whether paper or Teflon. Bullets of CORRECT DIAMETER and adjusted powder charges of course. We are NOT made to follow the SAME methods for ever. We'd STILL be riding horses(or walking) if we were. Look how long THAT worked!

geargnasher
09-11-2013, 12:42 AM
No argument against permitting all kinds of ideas, but if I have to use a gas check with it, cut the ends to match same as paper, and adjust powder charges, then I have a difficult time finding the advantage of Teflon.

Gear

goofyoldfart
09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Well, here we are again. I have used it for 35--40 years and it works , for me. I have used it in several different rifles. I too worked in the mills and used many of the left over spools in 3/4 " with great success. on a side note, I have just moved and it will be about 1-2 months before I will have my computer up and running. sometimes you just have to try it and find out. God Bless to all.

GOF and/or Goofy and Godfrey:bigsmyl2: